Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Carry optics legal thumb rest for Canik

stephenmcrna

On 10/29/2023 at 10:51 PM, ChrisDeRouen said:

It's actually in the perfect spot.  The fellas worked directly with Corey Yates in creating it.  They did a great job. 

Perfect or too far back will always be subjective. My hands are different than Corey Yates (whoever that is) so just because it was great for him doesn’t meal it will be for me. 

It looks like it could lock the slide back during a course of fire if you put pressure on the top of the thumb rest. Do you have any experience with that? I would love to use this one as it's the only CO legal option and is actually in a good spot for my thumb(smaller hands)

On 10/29/2023 at 9:51 PM, ChrisDeRouen said:

It's actually in the perfect spot.  The fellas worked directly with Corey Yates in creating it.  They did a great job. 

The store says something about the slide lock function. What does that actually mean? Does it only work with mag followers without the slide lock function?

Edit: I just looked at the page again. I guess it means if you use the thumb rest correctly it will remove the slide lock function.

Edited by Thomas918

I like that it's mentioned above that a Corey Yates helped design it and the only review of the product is 5 star highly recommended by a Corey Y. lol I'd hope he likes it lol. No idea who he is either. 

Thumb rests are super subjective depending on your girp and what angle, reach, height etc you like. This one doesn't look like it would work for me. But, I'm sure they can sell a lot of them. Thumb rests are definitely the cool thing to have these days. 

On 11/1/2023 at 9:35 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I like that it's mentioned above that a Corey Yates helped design it and the only review of the product is 5 star highly recommended by a Corey Y. lol I'd hope he likes it lol. No idea who he is either. 

Thumb rests are super subjective depending on your girp and what angle, reach, height etc you like. This one doesn't look like it would work for me. But, I'm sure they can sell a lot of them. Thumb rests are definitely the cool thing to have these days. 

He's a GM Carry Optics competitor that shoots the Rival platform.  If you haven't heard of him, you will soon enough.  

As for the 5 star review, some people are quite literally getting theirs from the first batch of production.  I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews in due time.  

To those concerned about slide lock...this thumbrest is machined without that feature deliberately.  To clarify, you can run a magazine dry...and the gun will not go to slide lock.  It will cycle and return to battery.  For most of us, this isn't an issue considering we've been running aftermarket followers that won't bring us to slide lock either. 

As for those concerned about the positioning....I genuinely just suggest trying it out.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. 

11 hours ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

He's a GM Carry Optics competitor that shoots the Rival platform.  If you haven't heard of him, you will soon enough.  

As for the 5 star review, some people are quite literally getting theirs from the first batch of production.  I'm sure there will be plenty of reviews in due time.  

To those concerned about slide lock...this thumbrest is machined without that feature deliberately.  To clarify, you can run a magazine dry...and the gun will not go to slide lock.  It will cycle and return to battery.  For most of us, this isn't an issue considering we've been running aftermarket followers that won't bring us to slide lock either. 

As for those concerned about the positioning....I genuinely just suggest trying it out.  I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. 

I was actually surprised that a few folks in this thread who compete didn't know who Yates was. But that's besides the point... this *thumb rest [generic]* slide lock replacement design is actually very good.

I'm of the opinion that your thumb's joint is where you should push down from and not the pad of your thumb. It's more comfortable and more effective (more torque, less chances of injury) when controlling the recoil. If you look at many open guns, that's where the *thumb rest [generic]* is, not to be confused with aftermarket "thumb rests" as an alternative solution. I will say, too, that this is more designed for USPSA CO since you don't really run dry anyway.

12 hours ago, ChrisDeRouen said:

I'm sure there will be plenty of good reviews. It's a gadget that everyone thinks makes them better. They'll do well I'm sure. 

There are tons of really good CO shooters coming up it's hard to keep track. I'm sure there are a couple in my area that no one knows about too.

• shred locked this topic