Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Athena Owners - What Weight Recoil Springs do You Use?

LHshooter

I've decided to bite the bullet and order an Athena and use it in USPSA LO. My first 1911-style pistol, I've always been Glock and Sig P320.

I know the pistol comes with a 9# recoil spring but am wondering if those who shoot it have made any changes. At the time I order, I will receive a 10% discount for anything else I buy and already know a few things I will add on. But, I'm not sure if I should get the 5-spring pack or maybe just add an 8# and 10# or maybe not bother at all. If I learn shooters have changed from the 9# I'll see and order something different.

Also, Atlas seems to be strong proponents of using the shock buff spacers on the guide rod. Do you continue to use them? Searching on the web I found people say they are a waste, others say they don't last long and others swear by them. Every video I've watched from Atlas shows the shock buff installed so obviously they like them.

Thanks, and now I can wait 8 months til I receive my Athena.

The only change to the gun was I have added an extended mag release to both.  My ammo is running around the 130-135 PF range and I do not feel the gun needs any changes.  Return to zero is pretty on point when shooting 0.14-0.16 spilts.  I do not have super strong grip strength.  I would say its average to slightly above average.  

If you have slower or super spicy splits I could see where someone might want to play around with recoil springs.  I have kept the shock buff and will change them out on a regular interval.  Seems like around 2500 rounds is where I am changing   the shock buff out.  You can definitely feel when they swell.  I thought the disconnector was mucked up when the slide was dragging, but it was the shock buff.  I know others that run steel grip Atlas guns without them, but I prefer to run them.  

I would buy extra mag springs and mags for that initial purchase to take advantage of the 10% discount.  Recoil springs are relatively cheap in comparison.  Over the next 8 months I found watching the maintenance videos that Altas puts out very helpful and they do feel they sell some tools that make working on the guns easier.  You do not have to buy the tools through them as they tend to be a bit pricy, but some of them are worth it in my eyes.  Atlas will allow you to add stuff to the order to take advantage of that discount as well.  Something to keep in mind. 

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

The only change to the gun was I have added an extended mag release to both.

I would buy extra mag springs and mags for that initial purchase to take advantage of the 10% discount.  Recoil springs are relatively cheap in comparison.  Over the next 8 months I found watching the maintenance videos that Altas puts out very helpful and they do feel they sell some tools that make working on the guns easier.  You do not have to buy the tools through them as they tend to be a bit pricy, but some of them are worth it in my eyes.  Atlas will allow you to add stuff to the order to take advantage of that discount as well.  Something to keep in mind. 

By extended mag release do you mean the "button" that screws into the tapped mag release?

I already plan on buying several mags and springs when I place my order, the shock buffs, and a couple tools I don't have.

Saving 10 bucks a mag is a pretty good deal.

I've found the videos on the Atlas website to be very informative, especially since I've never had a 1911 before.

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2023 at 11:04 PM, Rich406 said:

I use an 8. I run 147gr bullets at 135ish pf. 

I run the shock buffer and change it every 5k rounds. 

Have you tried closer to 125pf? 
I keep reading the gun comes out with perfect-zero for factory ammo (135ish). Wondering if I reload closer to 125, how will the gun return. 

11 minutes ago, Eidoss said:

Have you tried closer to 125pf? 
I keep reading the gun comes out with perfect-zero for factory ammo (135ish). Wondering if I reload closer to 125, how will the gun return. 

Perfect zero is marketing rubbish. 

On 2/5/2024 at 12:31 AM, Rich406 said:

Perfect zero is marketing rubbish. 

On 2/5/2024 at 7:30 AM, RangerTrace said:

Similar to the  Worlds Best Shooting Handguns.  They all Perfect Zero if you grip them correctly!!

So you're telling me I was bamboozled into buying an Atlas?  I was looking for that perfect zero!! 🤣

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

So you're telling me I was bamboozled into buying an Atlas?  I was looking for that perfect zero!! 🤣

They are great pistols.  I just don't of any pistols that have a perfect return to zero without the right grip.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...