Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz Czechmate FTF

Chapo

Hey all.  Got a situation.  Some of my rounds pass the fee ramp, but instead of chambering they keep going up and get stuck between the magazine and the upper part of the opening of the chamber.  Something similar to the attached.  Any thoughts?  Not sure its the magazine as they have all been tuned.  I am shooting  9 minor with 6.4gr HS6/ 115g CMJ everglades bullet/ 1.165" OAL/ 10lb recoil spring.  Brass is range pickups so different COALs.  Could it be the recoil spring? Or maybe the inconsistent OALs?

Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 4.59.03 PM.png

46 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Hey all.  Got a situation.  Some of my rounds pass the fee ramp, but instead of chambering they keep going up and get stuck between the magazine and the upper part of the opening of the chamber.  Something similar to the attached.  Any thoughts?  Not sure its the magazine as they have all been tuned.  I am shooting  9 minor with 6.4gr HS6/ 115g CMJ everglades bullet/ 1.165" OAL/ 10lb recoil spring.  Brass is range pickups so different COALs.  Could it be the recoil spring? Or maybe the inconsistent OALs?

2 minutes ago, PhotoRecon said:

Excuse me, but isn't that a Glock I'm the picture?

Yes.  Just using the photo as an example to demonstrate the FTE

Not certain COAL all different because of range brass.  Assuming these are reloads, are you using using a progress press? What is your target COAL?  Or average of say 10-20 rnds.  Since you say all are different COAL do any feed correctly?  If so what length?  Longer or shorter of your target length?  

Shadow 2 dirty extractor has similar symptoms one you fully rule out magazine issues. 

Mine need a little scrub every 2500 or so rounds. 

They get just dirty enough that the new round has a hard time pushing underneath. 

Also check the breech face for any  not smooth areas from the lowest point up. 

Round isn't far enough up/in to blame oal, comp,  or brass inconsistencies. 

Edited by nkresho

2 hours ago, nkresho said:

Shadow 2 dirty extractor has similar symptoms one you fully rule out magazine issues. 

Mine need a little scrub every 2500 or so rounds. 

They get just dirty enough that the new round has a hard time pushing underneath. 

Also check the breech face for any  not smooth areas from the lowest point up. 

Round isn't far enough up/in to blame oal, comp,  or brass inconsistencies. 

The pic was only an example cause I didn't find one to replicate mhy problem.  But the round is stuck all the way up past the chamber.

2 hours ago, GeneBray said:

Not certain COAL all different because of range brass.  Assuming these are reloads, are you using using a progress press? What is your target COAL?  Or average of say 10-20 rnds.  Since you say all are different COAL do any feed correctly?  If so what length?  Longer or shorter of your target length?  

Gene, yes I am using a Dillon 1100 with Mark 7.  My target is 1.165"  but since I use range brass, some come up at 1.82, 1.68, 1.72 or even 1.45.  So the spread is wide coming out of the press.  When I gauge them with the hundo, a bunch don't gauge properly, but when I test them with the plunk test they chamber and fall out by themselves.  I know, go figure.

Google:  Bullet Design And Feeding Reliability In Semi-Automatic Pistols by Brad Miller, Ph.D. and the update Bullet Design Update and Feeding - 2013 Update in the 2013 Guns & Ammo Annual.  If you cannot find them, send me an email address and I'll send you the pdfs.  

I suspect you need to shorten the COAL.  I run 124/125 at 1..12 - 1.14" and 115s shorter.  I would load a series at 1.15" and step down 0.01" and test. Stop when/if feeding issues disappear. Or, since you have such a large variation in COAL measure what is loaded and sort by length.  

I load on a 1050 with range brass and don't see anywhere close to the variability you do in COAL.  Are the bullets you use FMJ, plated, or coated?  I use X-Treme plated and Precision Delta and FMJ or JHP for both, but mostly FMJ RN ATT.  In the past I used Montana Gold (Won't buy from any longer due to major issue with a bulk order.  Won't say more on this thread about the issue.), Zero, X-Treme, Hornady, Precision Delta, a small amount of Blue Bullets.  Most accurate bullet out of my 9s was Hornady HAP with a 0.356" diameter.  Unfortunately, think Hornady now only makes a 0.355" HAP.  When I'm done with PD 124 gr RN in .38 Super (0.356") I will most likely  switch to either a .38 Super JHP but will have to find a quality product at reasonable price.

Something is going on with your reloading quality control.  That's too wide of a spread on coal.  I reload with mixed brass for my wife's Czechmate and it's nowhere near as bad as yours.  My spread with mixed brass is 1.155‐1.165".

Also sounds like you need to roll size your brass or use an under sized sizing die.  Also is your seating die seating the bullet crooked?  

Also, what could account for a spread from 1.140 to 1.180”?  I’m using the Lee u die and Dillon crimp die. But thinking of switching back to the Lee crimp die on the 1100.   I also use the mark 7. Could this be the issue?
Also seems to me it would be more of a seating problem. I thought the Redding die would yield better results?

Fellas, tell me if this makes sense. I’ve been measuring cases that fit the gauge and those who don’t, and I think I’ve come to a conclusion. The ones that don’t fit the gauge have a case head of .390 and above. The ones that fit .389. Makes sense?? The manuals says .394!?!?!?  I collect my brass in an outdoor range where multiple guns and 9mm carbines are used. Could this be an issue?

3 hours ago, Chapo said:

Fellas, tell me if this makes sense. I’ve been measuring cases that fit the gauge and those who don’t, and I think I’ve come to a conclusion. The ones that don’t fit the gauge have a case head of .390 and above. The ones that fit .389. Makes sense?? The manuals says .394!?!?!?  I collect my brass in an outdoor range where multiple guns and 9mm carbines are used. Could this be an issue?

No, your mags need tuning. Do a search, there is a post with the magazine dimensions you need. 

Lol. Yeah, my mags were tuned by Bevin grams. And I agree, I think the longer oals above 1.170 are the culprits. The different oals are due because I am using mixed brass from an outdoor range. Since this is my backup Czechmate, I need to ream the barrel and get more space. I also removed and re installed the bullet seating die. 

Could it be that you are compressing the powder inside the case and the powder is pushing the bullets out or will not seat further in anymore. If you’re using the redding micrometer seating die, the spring inside it might be collapsing and not seating the bullet to the desired coal with the compressed powder. Different internal case volume for the mixed range brass.

Mark S

Case doesn't have to be full to be compressed.  Compressed is a combination of powder volume, case volume, bullet length and seating depth.  Any charge can be compressed if bullet is seated deep enough.

Edited by GeneBray

My barrels are reamed, my mags are tuned by myself. I’m right at 10k rounds thru my Czechmate. I do sort headstamp, then size and deprime my brass first on my Lee APP. I wash, case dry and load. I load CPRN to 1.163” +/- .002”. So my range is 1.161”- 1.165”. I load on a Loadmaster with Mikes Reloading Bench Billet Turret and Turret Stabilizer. I also use the Redding Micrometer Seating Die..Measure and case gauge all my rounds and I have zero ammo issues. I have a feeling your mixed brass and inconsistencies in COALs are definitely the issue…..

Edited by Hollow-Point

1 hour ago, Hollow-Point said:

My barrels are reamed, my mags are tuned by myself. I’m right at 10k rounds thru my Czechmate. I do sort headstamp, then size and deprime my brass first on my Lee APP. I wash, case dry and load. I load CPRN to 1.163” +/- .002”. So my range is 1.161”- 1.165”. I load on a Loadmaster with Mikes Reloading Bench Billet Turret and Turret Stabilizer. I also use the Redding Micrometer Seating Die..Measure and case gauge all my rounds and I have zero ammo issues. I have a feeling your mixed brass and inconsistencies in COALs are definitely the issue…..

^^^^^ Yeah what he said…