Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Framelink of Bul Armory SAS 2 Bullesteros in 9 mm major broke off ... AGAIN!

StefVanHauwe

Just shot an IPSC HG L2 match today with my primary open division race gun: the Bul Armory SAS 2 Bullesteros in 9mm major. During the last stage I noticed a strange recoil patern ... When I got back home I checked the gun and noticed the grip was moving slightly towards the frame link. I took the original Bul Armory metal grip off and yes, the frame link was broken in 2 pieces (see pictures below). The gun just has 8200 rounds through it and I have chrono'ed recently to PF165. This is now the 3rd time this happened. The previous 2 times was with my training gun Bullesteros. They had to re-weld the broken framelink back on. I check, clean and lube my open race guns after every training and match, to include the presence and tightness of the different screws. This cannot be a coincidence anymore! I reached out to my gun shop, who directed me to the same welder, who repaired my other gun. The metal grip and/or the framelink are clearly flawed. Bul Armory owners beware!

Bullesteros.jpg

Many other 2011 frames break there at that loop too.  Metal grips are generally the cause although not always.

I find it doesn't matter much if you keep the main screws tight and there's a good fit on those and the frame tenons.  One of my open guns has the loop broken off for at least the past few years.  I'd guess there's a lot of 2011s out there with broken loops the owner doesn't even know about.

But, if the OPs grip is sliding around without it, then that's probably what's breaking them.

Mine was found broken when my smith took it apart for some work. I had put a Cheely steel grip on it, and went blasting. Guess it needed more fitting than I had done. Faxon in Cincinnati welded it up for him, and he fitted the grip correctly. It happens.

• 3 weeks later...