Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Glock for IPSC Production ?

Desp77

17 at the 47 is not legal yet. I would get a Gen 5 MOS, that way when you decided to shoot carry ops it would be easy enough. And I think the grip and trigger is less crappy on a Gen 5, but that is kind of personal preference

Don't dismiss a Gen 5 G17.  I have run a G34.4 for about 10 years.  I recently picked up a G17.5 MOS to try CO out.  I discovered that the dot game wasn't for me, so I put some good iron sights on it.  After experimenting with different bullet weights and recoil springs, I have found 147s through the G17.5 to run and track better than anything I've been able to accomplish with my old G34.4.  The full size Gen 5s have a .240" longer recoil spring assembly than Gen 4 and earlier.  This seems to change the recoil cycle for the better as compared to previous generations when using the stock recoil spring assembly.  I've even run an ISMI 13lb spring with a .240" spacer on the guide rod to be able to run at the advertised spring rating, and it runs and tracks pretty much the same as the stock recoil spring.  I tried the ISMI spring without the spacer and it tracked like crap with a weak cam up into battery.

My G34.4 is a backup gun now.  I may even sell it and roll the funds back into another G17.5.  I am that impressed with the G17.5.

• 2 months later...

Another vote for the Gen5 G17.  When I switched to carry optics last year the G34 just didn't feel right with a dot on it.  I tried a Gen5 17 and it was perfect.  It's the only centerfire pistol I've shot for the past year and I love it.

17 Seems like the obvious choice, assuming it needs to be a Glock.

I’ve been shooting G34.5 in CO for a while, posts like this push me closer to buying a 17 to shoot for next year. A lot of people seem to like how they cycle better, and cite radius is not relevant with an optic.

Ben Stoeger seems to be die hard on those 34s still. If they work for him maybe I should just save my money…lol

1 hour ago, StefVanHauwe said:

Don't buy a Glock, but a CZ Shadow 2 instead 😉

Personally the grip angle on the shadow 2 was a show stopper for me, I think it is a try it and see how it fits recommendation. It reminds me a great deal of the older generation Glocks without the ability to adjust back straps. Agree that they are both excellent guns in general. 

If you want a Glock for Production, get a 17 and practice.

Having tried some Glock triggers, and listened to others who have tried more, Gen 2 Glocks have pretty decent triggers, as far as stock Glock triggers go ... and they don't have the annoying finger grooves.

... I don't really get people who are unable to hit anything with a Glock because grip angle is different from a 1911 😂 I have no major problems transitioning between Glock, 1911, and my revolver.