Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 trigger pin broke

Ignatz

5 hours ago, Farmer said:

Let me rephrase that to more harassment. 

Almost all gunsmiths have an FFL or should, and the AFT has been less than cordial. Also shipping companies have been difficult about shipping firearms and accessories. Before Jim Hoag passed several years ago, he was having customers bring parts in with the guns they wanted him to work on. Some DOJ agent gave him a bunch or grief about selling parts and installing them, said that was considered manufacturing and threatened him.

Edited by Pseudonym

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens, they e-mailed me this morning and I'm getting a new frame. Not going to ask why, but now its a new gun that has to get re-registered thru a FFL.

I hope the frame replacement goes better than the pin replacement. 

Is this a farily common problem with the 929 platform?  I have two of them and am reatively new to revolver shooting.  I am trying to learn as much as I can about them but am having some noob type things creep up on me during matches (front screw that holds the iron sights on coming loose and throwing off my zero, screw underneath my Hogue grip lossening up, strain screw walking itself out, etc.)

7 hours ago, Ignatz said:

The plot thickens, they e-mailed me this morning and I'm getting a new frame. Not going to ask why, but now its a new gun that has to get re-registered thru a FFL.

I hope the frame replacement goes better than the pin replacement. 

I have never understood why the manufacturer can’t simply destroy your old frame and stamp your old serial number on the new one. Does anyone have a reliable answer for that? All I ever hear is “can’t do that.”

19 hours ago, PCC_GUY said:

Is this a farily common problem with the 929 platform?  I have two of them and am reatively new to revolver shooting.  I am trying to learn as much as I can about them but am having some noob type things creep up on me during matches (front screw that holds the iron sights on coming loose and throwing off my zero, screw underneath my Hogue grip lossening up, strain screw walking itself out, etc.)

No, its not a thing.   My guns broke from year and years of use/abuse.   There was a period where those guns were dry fired 6 days a week for 3 years.

I also early on did a thing as a noob (not understanding this was very stupid) which was working the trigger with the sideplate off(even once) that probably set the stage.

On 9/29/2023 at 6:28 PM, Farmer said:

I have never understood why the manufacturer can’t simply destroy your old frame and stamp your old serial number on the new one. Does anyone have a reliable answer for that? All I ever hear is “can’t do that.”

Because you can't have a serial number both issued and destroyed  

1 hour ago, Ice36 said:

Because you can't have a serial number both issued and destroyed  

So your saying they have to document that the original ser# was destroyed, thus not being able to re-use it? That’s just plain stupid! You’d think they could add a dash one or *1 to it to designate it as a replacement. Typical gov wasteful regulation. 

• 2 weeks later...

So completely new gun? Did you send them a bone stock gun or did they move things over like sights and grips? 

Did it cost you anything? I’d have to go dig up the paperwork, but I’m pretty sure they did the most half ass repair on mine I’ve ever seen and charged me several hundred dollars and shipping. 

Edited by MWP

On 9/29/2023 at 10:11 AM, PCC_GUY said:

Easy fix to your three issues, loctite, loctite  and loctite.

Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

3 hours ago, MWP said:

So completely new gun? Did you send them a bone stock gun or did they move things over like sights and grips? 

Did it cost you anything? I’d have to go dig up the paperwork, but I’m pretty sure they did the most half ass repair on mine I’ve ever seen and charged me several hundred dollars and shipping. 

I took out my Carmony hammer and trigger and put in a new 929 hammer and trigger I had laying around. I left the fiber optic front sight and Millett rear sight on. I also put back stock rebound and hammer springs.

Unfortunately, the Millett rear sight took a hard whack so time will tell if that holds up. And I sent it in with no grips.

Its like they just reassembled the 929 and sent it back. The cylinder drags, no oil anywhere, nothing fitted.

I went thru this with my wife's 929 after a repair and had to send it back to get fitted properly. The second time back it was perfect.

The repair was no charge but I paid to re-register the 929.

Tomorrow I'll put the Carmony hammer and trigger back in and see if its better, but its probably going back to S&W to get the cylinder to spin without dragging.  

They’ve had mine for the same breakage since the end of April.  The timeframe for repair keeps changing.  When I called before sending it in, I was quoted 4-6 weeks and told that it was a warranty issue.  In June I found out that it took them a month to get it to the Performance Center, the time went to 4-6 months and told that it was a wear part.  In September, I was told that it had been assigned to a gunsmith and that I would probably hear something in 1-1/2 to two weeks.  Yesterday, I was told that the PC repairs take 6-8 months.  They’ve blamed the different times and changing information on new, inexperienced customer service staff.  Getting really frustrated!

On 10/17/2023 at 4:23 AM, Tommygunz said:

They’ve had mine for the same breakage since the end of April.  The timeframe for repair keeps changing.  When I called before sending it in, I was quoted 4-6 weeks and told that it was a warranty issue.  In June I found out that it took them a month to get it to the Performance Center, the time went to 4-6 months and told that it was a wear part.  In September, I was told that it had been assigned to a gunsmith and that I would probably hear something in 1-1/2 to two weeks.  Yesterday, I was told that the PC repairs take 6-8 months.  They’ve blamed the different times and changing information on new, inexperienced customer service staff.  Getting really frustrated!

TG:

I am sure some of it was due to them moving to Tenn.  

I had to send a 327 back when they were still in Mass.  Trigger got progressively harder to pull and I mean on pull 8, it must have been in the ten to fifteen pound range.  After a argument with them, they sent me the return postage and off it went.  Got it back two weeks later with the trigger pulls all about equal.  They didn't charge me but it didn't need rebuilding.

Unless I get one that is totally soup sandwich, I won't even bother returning it.  Will send it to TK and pay to get it done perfectly.

GG

• 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Ignatz said:

Got it back from S&W for the second time, and everything seems OK. I'll put the old trigger parts back in and tune it up. 

At least I got it back!

Over the years I’ve found that sending guns back to the factory from about the middle of November to the middle of January is a crapshoot. Holidays coming up and you don’t know what you’ll get back. Just my 2 cents. Glad you got yours back in a decent amount of time.