Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm S&W 929 Load Advice

SPINGE

Hello shooters! I just got a 929 and am wondering what fellow wheel gun enthusiasts are running to make MINOR PF. I have quite a bit of 127 GR CN coated lead and TiteGroup at the bench now which will be my starting point. Thanks!

Havent gotten any moonclips yet, recommendations appreciated. I do have a good quantity of #2 and I also have some #7. I have an odd assortment of other powders in small quantities I can play with too. In terms of projectiles the 127 CN is what I have a bunch for my loads for PRODUCTION. I have heard complaints about TG and the Ti cylinder, but we all know how forum talk can be 🤷 

Just now, scooterj said:

TiteGroup burns fast and hot. If shooting a stage that requires two or more reloads, a glove may not be a bad idea. The cylinder will get really hot. 

Thanks, thats what I've been hearing.

Subscribing to the thread. I’m working on a load for my 929 as well. Considering either using American Select which I’ve used successfully for my short colt loads or going with Sport Pistol that I’ve used for 9mm semiautomatics.

DAA .040” moons are what I use and are much cheaper than TK.  Use Blazer or FC brass

TK moons are good with the above and ok with WIN brass.  ie they are a tiny bit looser

Keeping a revo clean could be an issue with titegroup, only after many years did I discover how dirty n320 was as well 😕

160Gr .358 Bayou over N320 with TK clips, win brass.  You may want to look at slugging your barrel to determine if it is oversized as most are before you decide on a bullet.

Edited by NoSteel

Most (all new production) 929's have .357 barrels. So use a .358 coated bullet.

I use Blue Bullets 147 with 3.3gr of Win 231 in a Federal FC case with a .035 TK moon clip.

.040 were too tight in my gun.

Make sure what ever brass you use, works with your moon clips. Winchester brass was too tight in mine.

9mm hasnt been worth my time to load in forever...
At current primer/powder/ bullet prices,, not counting brass, I can buy loaded Remington, blazer brass or American eagle for what I could load it for.  Probably less if you figure on buying jacketed bullets. 
Right now I am using LAX 135 gr reloads , also old stash of 124 gr precision delta,, wolf, and rando bag o bullets.  JUst ordered some rem 147's will chrono them, blazer, and some others when I get home in the 929 and see how thye compare with a 5" XDM.  The PD are loaded with .356 FMJ;s  so might even sand bag it and get some groups.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

9mm hasnt been worth my time to load in forever...
At current primer/powder/ bullet prices,, not counting brass, I can buy loaded Remington, blazer brass or American eagle for what I could load it for.  Probably less if you figure on buying jacketed bullets. 
Right now I am using LAX 135 gr reloads , also old stash of 124 gr precision delta,, wolf, and rando bag o bullets.  JUst ordered some rem 147's will chrono them, blazer, and some others when I get home in the 929 and see how thye compare with a 5" XDM.  The PD are loaded with .356 FMJ;s  so might even sand bag it and get some groups.

I had problems with factory 9mm  ammo. Tons of bullet creep, and light hits.

Factory 9mm typically isn't crimped and the primers are hard. Not to mention some of it is a 140+ powder factor.

1 minute ago, ysrracer said:

I had problems with factory 9mm  ammo. Tons of bullet creep, and light hits.

Factory 9mm typically isn't crimped and the primers are hard. Not to mention some of it is a 140+ powder factor.

Thats what I am gonna be experimenting with shortly.. My 929 hasnt failed yet. Even with reloads using wolff primers. We shall see.  Be home this week and ICORE in 2 weeks. Have a mount and Optic for it, but will probably leave irons on it. Hopefully wont be too hot and my neighbor wont have cows in South pasture. 

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Most (all new production) 929's have .357 barrels. So use a .358 coated bullet.

I found this out. Couldn't get any accuracy out of any weight .355's and not much better with .356.