Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Im looking to build a 1911 what slide and frame do recommend?

Dfehr401

ZZT recommends good parts, I'll add Brazos for slides and 2011 receivers and I have heard good things about Jem but not used them myself yet.

That said I went a different route to start this journey. for my first build I bought a Foster frame (Caspian blem) then I bought RIA slide, Barrel and small parts off eBay for cheep. I figured if I was going to be learning I was likely to mess up something and I didn't want to mess up an expensive something. I was able to build a few nice shooting guns this way, about the only part of real building I missed was the barrels hoods and feet are not as oversized as the quality parts so little to no fitting there was required. 

Caution, I thought this would be a fun one time project, but now my garage is full of machine tools and I spend all my money on gun parts.

I no longer use JEM parts.  They are solid and dimensionally accurate.  Too much hand work to get the machining marks out.  The chatter inside the dust cover is the worst.  On the last frame it was so bad I quit trying to sand it out after two hours.

Brazos doesn't make his own slides, but they are first rate.  For 2011 frames, Brazos or Cheely (tied for first), Warwick Tactical (second).  For slides, Brazos or Warwick.  For short blocks, Brazos or Warwick.  I've built three Open guns on Brazos short blocks.  One of them was my backup gun.  Superb machining and fit.  For 1911 receivers, Warwick, or maybe Nighthawk.

For parts I turn to Cheely first.  If he makes them himself, I use them.  They require much less fitting than EGW.  Otherwise, EGW, especially for ambi thumb safeties.  Extreme Engineering makes great stuff also, but I stick with EGW for trigger kits.

Edited by zzt

I used a Caspian slide and a CK frame for my first build. There was... A lot of fitting involved. 

If you can find someone to sell a matched frame and slide it'll save you a lot of work for your first build. Of course that's one step away from just having someone build you a gun lol

1 hour ago, Aiden said:

If you can find someone to sell a matched frame and slide it'll save you a lot of work for your first build. Of course that's one step away from just having someone build you a gun lol

Not really.  It depends on how much time and patience you have.  I built my first 1911 entirely by hand.  Slide to frame fit and barrel fit.  It took forever, was very frustrating and irritating.  Slide to frame fit is the least important aspect of accuracy.  Fitting a barrel by hand requires $100 worth of tools and a $300 set of cutters.

Then I started ordering frames and slides machine fit with an interference fit.  Same with the barrel- semi fit.  It still took a long time to fit and finish.

For the last two builds I ordered Open short blocks.  They were perfect.  I had all the rest of the parts fit in a single afternoon.  Gun was 100% functional when I tested the next day.

When you are just starting by hand, you run the risk of messing up expensive parts.  I know I did.  FWIW, it's short blocks for me from now on, ESPECIALLY if it's an Open gun.

All things are possible through time and patience. The tricky part is accurately judging how much you have of each. 

Starting with interference fit might not save you time overall, but I certainly would've appreciated having two pieces of metal that were at least somewhat close in dimensions. But I'm impatient and shouldn't be left alone with a file. 

Short dust covers for life.

I built mine using the Brazo fitted slide/frame. Really nice work they do. Paid 675.00 that was on sale. Other parts were EGW, Cheely Grip, Binary Comp, etc... Cost was around $2400.

Brazo Fitted Slide/Frame 675.00 Nov 2020

Had the KKM barrel fit. Gunkote all parts. Machined the slide. Made an extended mag release and trigger. 

IMG_20220309_230049.jpg

16 hours ago, Lastcat said:

I built mine using the Brazo fitted slide/frame. Really nice work they do. Paid 675.00 that was on sale. Other parts were EGW, Cheely Grip, Binary Comp, etc... Cost was around $2400.

Brazo Fitted Slide/Frame 675.00 Nov 2020

Had the KKM barrel fit. Gunkote all parts. Machined the slide. Made an extended mag release and trigger. 

IMG_20220309_230049.jpg

Stupid question, is that a 1911 version  that takes single stack mags or 2011 that takes double stacked mags?

I built a 1911 on a JEM long dust cover frame and it required a good amount of clean up and deburring. The underside of the dust cover was bad enough that I should have just put it on the grinder and saved a lot of sanding. There were a few other small gripes with the frame, but I would buy another one. Especially if I was after a LDC because choices are pretty limited. A Brazos slide went half way onto the frame right out of the package and the fit was finished with stones.

I have used two Warwick slides and while totally serviceable, I found them to be pretty rough compared to a Brazos or Caspian.

I gave up on JEM parts for just that reason.  Brazos makes superior parts.  If you are looking for a square trigger guard, LDC 1911 receiver, you are pretty much stuck.

FWIW, after many bad experiences, I wouldn't use STI or Caspian even if you gave me the parts for free.

Edited by zzt

I would try to get an sv frame, but I’m told they only do those in batches of at least ten. 

alternative:

jem for frames because I like the old rangemaster  look and cut down the dust cover per the rules.

slide 

sv for the removable breechface 

have two barrels fit 9mm and 40

major/minor ready

sv parts

On 7/12/2023 at 8:59 AM, zzt said:

I gave up on JEM parts for just that reason.  Brazos makes superior parts.  If you are looking for a square trigger guard, LDC 1911 receiver, you are pretty much stuck.

FWIW, after many bad experiences, I wouldn't use STI or Caspian even if you gave me the parts for free.

I think Im going to try Brazos thanks

On 7/13/2023 at 6:38 AM, Jhorizon1 said:

I would try to get an sv frame, but I’m told they only do those in batches of at least ten. 

SV does not sell frames.  Not even to gunsmiths.  For 1911, you're probably better off starting with a Springfield mil-spec 1911 vs. what's available aftermarket these days.  They have a high quality forged slide and frame and usually a decent slide/frame fit to start with.  For 2011 frames, Cheely and Phoenix Trinity are both good options.  For slides, Warwick is a good choice if you want a standard 5".  If you want something unusual, then SV is an option.