Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractors

TFT_Guns_Up

I recently had to my Extractor as it broke during a match. 
I replaced it with an Aftec and so far it’s been fine. 
As I’m shooting Open I like to keep spares around. I went looking for more online, and can’t find anymore in 9mm. Are they still in production?

EGW is pretty good. I'd just recommend learning how to check that it maintains tension, most importantly before your major matches.  As a general good practice, if you keep the extractor channel fairly clean, then your extractor should maintain tension for quite some time.

The old Aftecs seemingly run forever.  The newer ones, not so much.  I had one old one left in stock and I put it in my main Open gun.  Runs great going on four seasons now.  I ordered two of the new ones a while after the new owners took over.  I had to send them back.  Now I use EGW HD extractors for everything.  You do have to know how to fit them properly.  When you do they last and last.

Note:  while Atlas was still selling the shorter, 9mm only EGW special extractors, I was using them.  Better fit than the 9/40 extractor.

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I'd get an EGW to keep as a spare and have it fit/tuned so it's ready to drop right in if necessary.  

That's what I did when I built my buddy's Open gun.  He wanted an Aftec.  I told him they don't last long anymore.  So I fitted a spare EGW HD and told him to keep it in his range bag.

Keep in mind that the Firing Pin Stop (FPS) is setup completely differently on an AFTEC vs a EGW HD extractor. I have always setup the FSP and Extractor as a mated pair regardless of the manufactures of the individual parts.

I haven't found the .005" radii on the FPS, required by the Aftec Extractor, to be detrimental when used

with an EGW HD extractor.

5 hours ago, jim vaughan said:

I replaced my 9 mm Aftec with a new Eemann Tech competition extractor.

Thanks for the tip.  Didn't know there was an alternative.

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2023 at 3:31 PM, ltdmstr said:

I'd get an EGW to keep as a spare and have it fit/tuned so it's ready to drop right in if necessary.  

Diddo.

Best aftermarket parts, made in America.