Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RevoGear 627 V-Comp compensators and muzzle strikes?

matteekay

The 627 V-Comp's... erm, comp... is notorious for taking impacts when the mounting screw loosens even a little bit. I've actually hogged out and refinished both of my factory muzzle devices to prevent this. 

I'm looking at the Revo Gear compensators that RSC sells with the intent of converting my V-Comp into an Open gun. Are these prone to the same issues as the factory compensator? I'm a bit concerned given how long they are.

Any muzzle device is prone to bullet strikes if it's not very closely aligned with the bore. Assuming that it was made right to begin with, some blue LocTite on the screw threads will go a long way to keeping it in place. Don't use "one drop" like a lot of "experts" say. Coat the internal and external threads so every space is filled up, then wipe off any excess. In this application, there's nothing else it can get into and cause problems. Same deal with strain screws on the mainspring.

Edited by Toolguy

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Coat the internal and external threads so every space is filled up, then wipe off any excess. In this application, there's nothing else it can get into and cause problems.

Good point. 

I've had one on my V-comp for almost 2 years and never had a bullet strike on it. Like Toolguy said, use plenty of blue loctite and you shouldn't have an issue with the screw loosening up. And the screw still comes out easy enough with just a standard allen wrench. 

As the directions say that come with the comp, use RED Loctite for the best hold, Blue is not a high heat locker.

Now, with that being said, if Blue is working for you then good, but proceed with caution please.

If/when you have to remove the comp you may need to use some heat when using Red Lockite,

also, it has been found when testing the 629 44 magnum comps Red is the better choice.

If you ever do have a "strike' that throws your accuracy in the toilet get in touch with me  and I can

usually re-ream the bore and get the comp back to it's old self.

(had this happen a few times when folks didn't read the directions for the 929's)

Dave Parker, Revo-Gear

revoshooter@verizon.net

On 5/5/2023 at 1:33 PM, 10mmdave said:

As the directions say that come with the comp, use RED Loctite for the best hold, Blue is not a high heat locker.

Now, with that being said, if Blue is working for you then good, but proceed with caution please.

If/when you have to remove the comp you may need to use some heat when using Red Lockite,

also, it has been found when testing the 629 44 magnum comps Red is the better choice.

If you ever do have a "strike' that throws your accuracy in the toilet get in touch with me  and I can

usually re-ream the bore and get the comp back to it's old self.

(had this happen a few times when folks didn't read the directions for the 929's)

Dave Parker, Revo-Gear

revoshooter@verizon.net

Thanks for the follow-up, Dave! Just ordered one for my V-Comp.

Not sure why anyone would bother with the comp that comes with the 627 V Comp.  I believe mine does dampen some flip and recoil but sometimes am not sure.  Vents are way too small and yes, they do get clogged if using powder coated bullets.  

That said, I take mine off and put it back on if I shoot with it because I have to dump the comp in a 50 / 50 solution of hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar for a day to remove the lead.

FWIW mine came with a lock washer and so far have had no problems with it staying tight. 

GG

5 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

FWIW mine came with a lock washer and so far have had no problems with it staying tight. 

GG

I'm including a lock washer with the 629 comps, as well as a carbon steel cap screw, maybe should start doing that on the 627's, though I have not had any complaints about the screw coming loose after using Locktite.

Looks like you were one of the few that got a lock washer with your 627, I don't believe I've seen a 929 yet with a lock washer.

Belt and suspenders I guess, can't afford the ammo to test to see if one way works better than the other,

and I kind of like the extra security on the 44 Mag.

16 hours ago, matteekay said:

Thanks for the follow-up, Dave! Just ordered one for my V-Comp.

No problem, my motto is I want happy shooters, not like I'm going to get rich selling revo parts 😎

Any issues or questions you know where to find me.

On 5/3/2023 at 11:54 PM, matteekay said:

The 627 V-Comp's... erm, comp... is notorious for taking impacts when the mounting screw loosens even a little bit. I've actually hogged out and refinished both of my factory muzzle devices to prevent this. 

I'm looking at the Revo Gear compensators that RSC sells with the intent of converting my V-Comp into an Open gun. Are these prone to the same issues as the factory compensator? I'm a bit concerned given how long they are.

Let me know how this comp works out. I recently bought 3 vcomps and might shoot some in open since I have 10k short colts loaded and ready to go and never mess with them anymore. 

9 hours ago, MWP said:

since I have 10k short colts loaded and ready to go and never mess with them anymore. 

Hey old buddy old pal, ping me next time you're in Phoenix and I'll by lunch.

(It's Brad by the way :) )

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

Ha I know it’s you Brad. Looking like next January for the revolver match and next April for an unannounced match…

8 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Going to beat you too it.

Yo Mike -- am going to the SC match this month.  

Will take 5 K off your hand for the price of the brass.

GG

18 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

I'm including a lock washer with the 629 comps, as well as a carbon steel cap screw, maybe should start doing that on the 627's, though I have not had any complaints about the screw coming loose after using Locktite.

Looks like you were one of the few that got a lock washer with your 627, I don't believe I've seen a 929 yet with a lock washer.

Belt and suspenders I guess, can't afford the ammo to test to see if one way works better than the other,

and I kind of like the extra security on the 44 Mag.

Dave:

Can you link us to a picture or post one of this comp please?  I take it that it is different than the one being sold by Revolver Supply and TK.

The washer seems to be the trick because I lost my first one and the screw loosened up quickly.  Had to use a metric replacement because of its outer diameter.  Has worked fine since.  If you are going to send out washers with the comp, do the customer a favor and send four or five of them.  

GG

Edited by gargoil66

4 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Dave:

Can you link us to a picture or post one of this comp please?  I take it that it is different than the one being sold by Revolver Supply and TK.

The washer seems to be the trick because I lost my first one and the screw loosened up quickly.  Had to use a metric replacement because of its outer diameter.  Has worked fine since.  If you are going to send out washers with the comp, do the customer a favor and send four or five of them.  

GG

Now hold on there hoss !! these little circles cost money !!

(I do plan on including two, maybe 3 as I hear what you're saying)

The V Comp I offer is the same profile for the 627, 629 and the 625 (still looking to test the 625, any takers??) just a bigger exit hole. I was worried on the 629 since as you increase the exit hole you decrease the "blast wall" which uses the gas to dampen the recoil and muzzle flip, but thankfully that was not the case. Now that's not to say a bigger comp that doesn't follow the lines of the V Comp barrel may work a little better but I was looking at form with function.

Here's a couple pic's of the 627, just imagine a little bit bigger exit hole for the 629.

627 Vcomp-01.jpg

627 Vcomp-02.jpg

Dave's comp works really well on my 627V. This is with Magnum pressure loads but does something even with lesser loads. I don't have one for my 929 just for the fact I use it mainly in SC not really helpful for a 85pf load. If I ran factory 9mm I'd be interested though.  

2 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Now hold on there hoss !! these little circles cost money !!

(I do plan on including two, maybe 3 as I hear what you're saying)

The V Comp I offer is the same profile for the 627, 629 and the 625 (still looking to test the 625, any takers??) just a bigger exit hole. I was worried on the 629 since as you increase the exit hole you decrease the "blast wall" which uses the gas to dampen the recoil and muzzle flip, but thankfully that was not the case. Now that's not to say a bigger comp that doesn't follow the lines of the V Comp barrel may work a little better but I was looking at form with function.

Here's a couple pic's of the 627, just imagine a little bit bigger exit hole for the 629.

627 Vcomp-01.jpg

627 Vcomp-02.jpg

Dave what’s the best way to buy? You have a website or through someone else’s? 

7 hours ago, MWP said:

Dave what’s the best way to buy? You have a website or through someone else’s? 

You can buy through me, send me an email to revoshooter@verizon.net.

As Squirrel posted, yes you can also get then from Revolver Supply and TK Custom.