Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 clunk

The Dillon crimp die is easy to clean.  Just remove that clip the internals should fall out and run the caliber (for that die) bore snake back and forth a few times.  I also run a rag with a little CLP through there as well.  

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just wondering if you had the clunking before you installed the FW Arms prime time and shell plate? Could that something got reinstalled incorrectly and is causing a hang up somewhere.

39 minutes ago, mveto said:

Just wondering if you had the clunking before you installed the FW Arms prime time and shell plate? Could that something got reinstalled incorrectly and is causing a hang up somewhere.

Yeah the clunking was before primetime...

5 hours ago, Chapo said:

Yeah the clunking was before primetime...

@Chapo

IMO, and I've dealt with BOTH of your issues early on with my RL1100, you have two areas of "clunking" that I can see from your two videos.

First, there's a slight catch/tugging that appears to be coming from your Sizing Die.  As mentioned previously, it could be an issue with your depriming pin hanging onto spent primers; or it could be a lack of lubrication.  Not sure what lubricant you use, if any; but Hornady One Shot has performed excellently for me!  I would take a DEPRIMED brass and just run it into Station 2 (sizing die) and see how the press reacts.  If still experiencing a bit of stick/tug, then lightly lube a DEPRIMED case and try again.

Second, your taper crimp die is DEFNITELY causing the "sticking/tugging" at Station 8!  And IMO can be caused either by the taper crimp die being adjusted incorrectly for the bullet/brass combo your using; or you just have a poorly machined die that needs some further attention as I mentioned in my previous post.  Take a sized case and seat a bullet in it.  Back your taper crimp die off, and start resetting it SLOWLY!  Only adjust it down enough to end up with ~.377" - .378" diameter at the crimp. (for 9mm)  BTW, I always make ALL final adjustments with a full shell plate.

Also while your diagnosing your issues, take a close look at the hold down/expander stem at Station 4 and see if you have any brass deposits sticking to the expanding area.  This can also add to a very small "stick/tug" during press operation.  Prior to starting a loading session, I would take a q-tip and swipe some case lube around the expander.  Including a pic for showing how brass can stick; especially if new or cleaned by wet tumbling.....

This is just how I see it in the videos; and definitely not questioning your reloading abilities or experience.  :)

HTHs!

Expander.png

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

7 hours ago, mveto said:

That is the correct powder funnel for the 1100 since the case gets expanded during the swaging, the die in that station is a backup expanding die.

That is one way to set up a 1050/1100. There are many other options.

I'm not sure there is any way that is more "correct" than any other.

I bet if you ask 10 different 1050/1100 owners how they have their press set up you will get at least 3 or 4 answers, maybe more...

9 hours ago, ddc said:

I bet if you ask 10 different 1050/1100 owners how they have their press set up you will get at least 3 or 4 answers, maybe more...

@ddc

Agree 💯!

The "smoothest/most consistent" results I achieved with my RL1100 running 9mm was using one of these in Station#3:

https://fastandfriendlybrass.com/product/ffb-swage-backup-case-mouth-expanding-rod-f-9mm-38-super/

And of course, the PE/MBF powder funnel at Station#5:

https://uniquetek.com/product/T1582

👍

12 hours ago, ddc said:

Agreed, I have my 1100 set up with a SSI funnel, I was however responding to your previous post where you said you were puzzled by his set up. My response was that is the factory powder funnel that is included with the 1100.

5 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

@ddc

Agree 💯!

The "smoothest/most consistent" results I achieved with my RL1100 running 9mm was using one of these in Station#3:

https://fastandfriendlybrass.com/product/ffb-swage-backup-case-mouth-expanding-rod-f-9mm-38-super/

And of course, the PE/MBF powder funnel at Station#5:

👍

So you are expanding/ flaring twice? Can you tell which funnel I have? I really don’t remember. Maybe the one that came with MBF?

17 minutes ago, Chapo said:

So you are expanding/ flaring twice? Can you tell which funnel I have? I really don’t remember. Maybe the one that came with MBF?

@Chapo  Looking at your first video, it appears at about the 0:35sec mark you briefly show the funnel that's on the left in my previous pic:

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/307123-dillon-1100-clunk/?do=findComment&comment=3381731

You can easily look at the tip of the funnel and confirm per my pic.  If you are indeed still using the stock Dillon funnel, I would highly recommend swapping it to the MBF type funnel!  Either use the one that came with the MBF; or purchase one from PE or Unique-Tek that is made by PE!  They are made to the original MBF designer's specs and are of excellent quality/fit/finish!

On my previous RL1100, I was using the the F&FB expander/hold down as a fully adjustable "pre-expander"; then allowing the MBF funnel to create that perfect "seat" for when the bullet comes out of the MBF.

One final consideration I had from watching your videos:  without any brass in your shell plate, are you experiencing any "cam-over" from having a die adjusted down too far?  IIRC, the EXCELLENT FW Arm shell plates are a bit thicker than the OEM Dillon units..........

HTHs!

:)

6 minutes ago, Chapo said:

Thanks again. No cam-over. This is the other funnel I have and I believe it’s the factory Dillon. 

IMG_2790.jpeg

Yes that's a Dillon.......probably came from an 550/XL650/XL750 series press.

IF your going to change to a MBF style funnel, I would highly recommend considering one directly from PE or UniqueTek!  They also offer oversized funnels if your using larger than standard diameter bullets!  😲

Standard funnel is optimized for .355", .356", .3565" bullets.

👍

6 hours ago, mveto said:

Agreed, I have my 1100 set up with a SSI funnel, I was however responding to your previous post where you said you were puzzled by his set up. My response was that is the factory powder funnel that is included with the 1100.

Gotcha. It's been so long since I set up my 1100 that I totally forgot about the "factory" configuration with the expander in the swage station. That never worked very well for me. I know others have no problem.

2 hours ago, Chapo said:

I think I might have found the culprit for the clunk. This is the inside of the Dillon crimp die

It will happen if you do not keep them clean.  Just make it part of you press maintenance cycle.  Since I have started cleaning the dies at that interval, I have not had any die issues.   

5 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I’ll clean it and report back…

Sounds good!  👍

4 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

It will happen if you do not keep them clean.  Just make it part of you press maintenance cycle.  Since I have started cleaning the dies at that interval, I have not had any die issues.   

Excellent advice from @Boomstick303!!

👍

12 hours ago, Chapo said:

I think I might have found the culprit for the clunk. This is the inside of the Dillon crimp die

IMG_2799.jpeg

Wow, approximately how many rounds have you loaded with that die?

I guess it may be time to check mine…

On 5/2/2023 at 1:10 PM, Chapo said:

I am able to reload fine but this clunk got to go. Any ideas?

Watched the video and I see two issues.

The first is the bullets are not standing up when inserted by the MBF die. This is because the powder funnel really should be the MBF, or other brands (seen in the above pics). These dies don't just flare they widen/size the neck to insert the bullet straighter. 

The second issue is the flare you use is too big.

Less is better for a couple of reasons, doesn't over work the brass and the crimp die only needs to straighten them a little. All those brass shavings at/in the crimp die is an indicator the flare is too big.

Since you are using plated bullets you really only need enough flair to seat them straight. 

Also if you have a Dremel, polish the inside of the crimp die. It will help smooth out the process.

Edited by HesedTech

I corrected the flare.  Also cleaned the crimp die and the press operation is much smoother.  Still a little hang up coming, from what it seems, the sizing die.  So I took it apart and cleaned it and lubed it.  Still a bit of hang up but not much.  May have to contact Dillon to make sure is not something mechanical like the lower bearing assembly.