Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Platypus arrived

mreed911

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/1/2023 at 8:57 AM, Jim Watson said:

Interesting, there is a higher priced 2011-ish gun coming out for P320 clips.  Now if they will make one to use my Plastic M&P magazines...  

with all the back and forth on clip V mag, I’m still wondering when did S&W make a plastic M&P magazine clip? 

That is the restricted capacity version for your jurisdiction.  Several makers do that, a short magazine tube, a long plastic base/filler piece.  Others use dents to keep the follower from going all the way to the bottom, with cuts so you can't grind out the divots.  I think Glock molds theirs as an internal single stack.  

• 2 months later...

From what I’ve read, .40 is a dying caliber. In many of the shooting sports, 9mm in Carry Optics or Limited Optics is the popular trend. Some guys are downloading their .40 loads and adding a slide mounted red dot to join the crowd. 

3 minutes ago, dapribek said:

From what I’ve read, .40 is a dying caliber. In many of the shooting sports, 9mm in Carry Optics or Limited Optics is the popular trend. Some guys are downloading their .40 loads and adding a slide mounted red dot to join the crowd. 

In olden times people shot 40 in limited and limited 10. 

18 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

When men were men.  Some of us still are.

A Limited Platypus may be for you holdouts then. I don't think the standard 15 round mags would be too competitive but there are base pads and the like that would yield higher magazine capacity. 

I'd speculate the frame would need to be steel to handle the diet even if loaded to 165 power factor. Plus the added weight would probably be welcome. 

Oracle could make a similar handgun that runs off P320 mags made for 40 S&W. 

• 5 months later...

I'm looking at getting a Platypus to move from Carry Optics (Glock 47) to Limited/Limited Optics.

I presume the 5" Government model is the way to go for competition, but I've heard some people say that 4.25" Commander lengths are the way to go because they cycle 9mm quicker (The Glock 17 vs Glock 45 debate on snappiness and cycle rate.)

Do any owners here have any preference between the two?

Actually my current favorite LO pistol is a bushing-barreled 5" STI Eagle with a Lone Star Arms stainless grip.  5" stroke that handles like a 4-1/4".

Either the 5" or a 4.25 will be fine though depending on some personal preferences for flip vs soft.

I've shot Limited with a 5" gun (40 S&W) for over 20 years. I had never even tried a 4.25" gun in any form of competition all these years. I bought a 4.25 Prodigy to shoot Limited Optics and have absolutely no regrets. The gun seems to transition much quicker for me, but the lighter recoil of the 9mm may be a factor in that too. I just bought a 5" Tisas DS 9mm for a backup to my Prodigy but haven't even gotten to shoot it yet, thanks to my governor and the new 1 week waiting period. I'm interested in seeing how it feels alongside of the Progigy.

It may just be my eyes but does the platypus grip angle more than the 18 degrees on a 1911.  I know the Glock mags are made for a 22 degree grip angle, but did they get it close to a true 1911 grip. Does it point similar as your 1911 / 2011’s?

13 hours ago, ALL_comped_EVERYTHING said:

It may just be my eyes but does the platypus grip angle more than the 18 degrees on a 1911.  I know the Glock mags are made for a 22 degree grip angle, but did they get it close to a true 1911 grip. Does it point similar as your 1911 / 2011’s?