Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dovetail Mount Suggestions?

JohnnyD

I have a Brazo's 2011 I picked up several months ago.  It's a sweet shooting gun but thinking I might jump on the LO bandwagon.

Not really wanting to mill the slide right now incase I want to switch back to regular limited.  I know dovetails aren't as nice/low as a milled slide.

Probably will be an SRO or Holosun so would need something RMR footprint.

I've never heard anyone say anything good about any of them.  I tried one on a 1911 a few years ago and it lasted about 200 rounds.  I don't even remember the brand.

EGW makes excellent products...........If I were in the same boat, I would definitely consider one of their adapter plates!

https://www.egwguns.com/pistol-and-red-dot-mounts/mounts-by-firearm-brand-sight-cut/

IMO, correct installation yields satisfactory results.  

Give them a call!  Great people to deal with.

👍

Thanks everyone, EGW seems like the ticket.

I'll have to figure out which exact one I need (I can't remember the cut on my slide) and get one on order.  Probably will wait till after the Michigan Sectional to swap it out.  Still up in the air if I'm going to shoot Limited or PCC at it.

29 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Thanks everyone, EGW seems like the ticket.

I'll have to figure out which exact one I need (I can't remember the cut on my slide) and get one on order.  Probably will wait till after the Michigan Sectional to swap it out.  Still up in the air if I'm going to shoot Limited or PCC at it.

Call Bob at Brazos.  He can tell you what cut he used, even if it is not what he normally does.

I've ran dovetail mounts for tens of thousands of rounds on various pistols with SROs and Romeo 3's.  They work fine if they're installed properly.

One thing to watch for is you may run out of vertical adjustment on some dots and dovetail combos.  You can tell when you're getting close because the dot cuts off before it gets to the bottom of the window.

If you run out of adjustment you can buy 1 degree shims on Ebay.  I had to do that for one mount.  I have never had a dovetail mount fail.  I have lots of them.  The oldest is on a 1911 45 with 40k rounds through it.

On 3/3/2023 at 11:02 AM, zzt said:

If you run out of adjustment you can buy 1 degree shims on Ebay.  I had to do that for one mount

I’ve run out of ELEVATION adjustment on an SRO mounted on an EGW dovetail plate, groups still slightly low…..do you know if the shims are reversible?  The descriptions I read sounds like they will LOWER POI (could just be how it’s worded 🙄)I need to raise it some more……..any input from experience would be great 👍 

Thanks!

The shim I got could be used either way.  Chance are you need the fat pat of the shim in the rear so the sight is 'aimed' 1 deg, down to match the angle of the bore in battery.