Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood or rubber?

Squirrel45

9 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

These are the final evolution of the grips I like custom made by Pat.  Took 2-3 tries to get the perfect fit (meaning 2 or 3 sitting in a drawer)

grips.jpg

Those are really large butts. Are those custom?

Yes, made of rubber.  I have a weird super high grip and a lot of my support hand goes around the butt  so I had them made  with rubber and Pat obliged.

For some reason Pat made the butt super big and they are quite heavy but I likes me some big butts….

sorry, had to go there.

On 2/22/2023 at 5:56 PM, BadShot said:

Has anyone tried the VZ Tactical Diamond grips?  I have those on my 1911's, they are real agrressive.

Had a set, returned them. Compared to Hogues they're skinnier and have a more rounded back - both of which made them feel worse and less controllable than anything I've run from Hogue, Nill, or Altamont.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I spent years hating finger grooves and then spent close to $300 fairly recently on a set of Nills that have them. Even more recently I picked up a new gun with factory rubber grips and went "Y'know... these aren't that bad." Who knows?

7 hours ago, matteekay said:

Had a set, returned them. Compared to Hogues they're skinnier and have a more rounded back - both of which made them feel worse and less controllable than anything I've run from Hogue, Nill, or Altamont.

Of course, your mileage may vary. I spent years hating finger grooves and then spent close to $300 fairly recently on a set of Nills that have them. Even more recently I picked up a new gun with factory rubber grips and went "Y'know... these aren't that bad." Who knows?

This seems to be more common then not, what feels good one month doesn't the next. I know this is true for sights to but grips seem harder to nail down 

11 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

This seems to be more common then not, what feels good one month doesn't the next.

I have this very much.  I also have the objective data that when I switch the grip, at least for a little while(like a few k rounds) overall my shooting improves.

I am pretty sure that because when I switch my relative attention on whats happening in my hands gets better and consequently the shooting gets better.

I have used plain old RB Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves for many years.  They're perfectly fine for me, but this is 100% a personal preference thing.  Whatever works for you is what you should use.  

Anybody else remember the gawd-awful-looking grips Matt Griffin used to run?  He carved on them, wrapped them up in athletic tape, added some bondo, and carved on them some more, until they were perfect for his hands.   

Whatever works.  

16 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I have used plain old RB Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves for many years.  They're perfectly fine for me, but this is 100% a personal preference thing.  Whatever works for you is what you should use.  

Anybody else remember the gawd-awful-looking grips Matt Griffin used to run?  He carved on them, wrapped them up in athletic tape, added some bondo, and carved on them some more, until they were perfect for his hands.   

Whatever works.  

Grips, sights and thumb release about the only thing one can accessorize on a revolver.

After shooting my 625JM at a couple matches and a lot of practice I have came to some grip decisions lol.
I have a gorgeous Nil grip laminate blue that absolutely HUGS my hand and fills it perfectly and is comfortable for some slow shooting and casual shooting.

Sadly with no way to reload currently, I am shooting full power factory 45ACP and fun fact for you - after a little bit of shooting with that gorgeous wooden grip, you end up with the small lump on the bone/tendon in the web of your thumb that is painful to the touch.
Changed it out to a Hogue tamer and can shoot hundreds of rounds in a sitting and no pain at all.  
As much as I want to keep that Nil on the gun because it looks amazing, for my use in competition - the Hogue is where it's at.  

24 minutes ago, bigdog02 said:

After shooting my 625JM at a couple matches and a lot of practice I have came to some grip decisions lol.
I have a gorgeous Nil grip laminate blue that absolutely HUGS my hand and fills it perfectly and is comfortable for some slow shooting and casual shooting.

Sadly with no way to reload currently, I am shooting full power factory 45ACP and fun fact for you - after a little bit of shooting with that gorgeous wooden grip, you end up with the small lump on the bone/tendon in the web of your thumb that is painful to the touch.
Changed it out to a Hogue tamer and can shoot hundreds of rounds in a sitting and no pain at all.  
As much as I want to keep that Nil on the gun because it looks amazing, for my use in competition - the Hogue is where it's at.  

So you're saying that you have Nill grips for sale...?

😛

I like mine - I bet they're the same style as yours, but in black - but I'm only shooting .38's with them. I could see how heavier loads could be punishing.

6 minutes ago, matteekay said:

So you're saying that you have Nill grips for sale...?

😛

I like mine - I bet they're the same style as yours, but in black - but I'm only shooting .38's with them. I could see how heavier loads could be punishing.

If I would get a reloading setup going, I would have those Nill grips on for sure so I am saving them lol.  
Full power 45ACP is too much for continuous shooting, but I would love to test them on 38s to see if they work well.

4nWDmdw.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 11:14 AM, pskys2 said:

Grips, sights and thumb release about the only thing one can accessorize on a revolver.

Oh there’s more than that. 

On 3/2/2023 at 4:43 PM, bigdog02 said:

I had the same experience with those smooth Miculek wood grips (made by Hogue) that were all the rage a few years back.  

They obviously work for some.  I guess it just depends on your hand structure and size.  

12 hours ago, Carmoney said:

I had the same experience with those smooth Miculek wood grips (made by Hogue) that were all the rage a few years back.  

They obviously work for some.  I guess it just depends on your hand structure and size.  

There is a pair of those buried in a draw somewhere in our house.  They were terrible 

I was like big dog up there. Had some nice wood grips,, Ahrends I believe I liked in Silver black wood on my 686,, all was fine int he world playing around.. Got into bowling pins and full power loads, and back out came the factory round to square conversion rubber...
Been digging for the wood grips to put on the 617,, as those rubbers just feel to small in my hand. Probably will take me buying something else to find them though.. Thought they were in the original S&W box,, but nope