Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Survey results in

RJH

11 hours ago, louu said:

I don't understand all the posts about growing the game. Every match around here fills up in minutes except Eastern shore. Every dude I've seen at a match with a 9mm 2011 with a slide mounted red dot is either a 3 gun guy that didn't have a 3 gun match to shoot that day or a guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn. None of them read the rules or even care what the rules say and none of them are uspsa members. They also sign up for CO every time. 

That sounds like a case to just allow SAO in CO.

You right, but also not. How many of the people in those matches are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago? Probably some, mostly the more serious people but at most clubs there are also lots of new faces. I can go to clubs I haven't been to in a while and minus the guys who've been around forever I don't recognize most people. We have constant turn over and need new shooters coming in to continue to replace the ones who leave. To stop worrying about bringing in new shooters may be short sighted, and by the time the north east notices a drop in participation it might be to late. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want to bring in new shooters or boom in popularity, should have just done away with the capacity limit in production and gone with a mag length rule.
CO boomed because of that, not because of the optic. Off the shelf, or home modified gun, loaded to capacity, shooting 9mm

On 2/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Racinready300ex said:

That sounds like a case to just allow SAO in CO.

You right, but also not. How many of the people in those matches are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago? Probably some, mostly the more serious people but at most clubs there are also lots of new faces. I can go to clubs I haven't been to in a while and minus the guys who've been around forever I don't recognize most people. We have constant turn over and need new shooters coming in to continue to replace the ones who leave. To stop worrying about bringing in new shooters may be short sighted, and by the time the north east notices a drop in participation it might be to late. 

Based on the USPSA numbers, there's ~35K active members, and about 7-8K members join and about 7-8K members drop out per year.  Guessing at the percentage of 'long haulers', average tenure in the sport is probably around 4 years.  Some stats guru can work out what the distribution looks like.