Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ICORE Minimum Caliber

6.1. All revolvers used in ICORE matches must be .32 magnum caliber or greater.
It may seem I have too much time on my hands, but I see things and my brain does not seem to shut down. I started looking into the somewhat new .30 Super Carry and wondered if it would count as a 32 mag? In factory loadings that I have seen the factory data puts loads at 125pf, it actually is a .32 caliber bullet, and exceeds most published data for .32 H&R mag. If the max pressure I have seen listed is correct it actually exceeds .327 Federal Mag. 

Since the diameter of the bullet is that of a .32 yes it would be legal. Such as a revolver you can shoot .357, 38 Special, 38 Long Colt and 38 Short Colt. The only thing that changed is the length. So with the 30 Super Carry the only difference between a.32 Magnum and a 30 Super Carry is the length. Next to consider to be legal would be power factor and all that has to be met is 120 PF. Now if S&W would come out with a 10 shot 30 Super Carry. Sweet 😁🏻🇺🇸🦅

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 5:27 AM, AzShooter said:

Kirby Goodman shoots a 10 shot .32 Mag in ICORE that he made.  He has done very well with it. 

Good luck in your endeavors.

He sounds like a cool dude.

we end up with a new fed 10 round mag limit i could see Ruger doing this, although smaller lighter handguns probably sell alot more. Most people dont get bigger and heavier is easier to shoot. But dang if ruger came out with an off the shelf 10 shoot and speedloaders,, ? ICORE would flip out

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2023 at 3:14 PM, pyrrhic3gun said:

The 30 Super Carry operates at a considerably higher pressure (52,000psi max), so I'm sure any potential maker of a revo in this caliber will take into consideration the possible liability.  

Yes It is quite the stout little round. It exceeds the max .327 federal at 45,000psi max and the 327 is no slouch. The 30 super carry in Federal factory loadings at listed at 45,000psi and make 125 power factor. If the factory data is correct.  I am still working on  loading up the 32H&R, the 327 cases are to long for rapid extraction, was trying to think up an alterative to 32H&R.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:31 AM, Joe4d said:

we end up with a new fed 10 round mag limit i could see Ruger doing this, although smaller lighter handguns probably sell alot more. Most people dont get bigger and heavier is easier to shoot. But dang if ruger came out with an off the shelf 10 shoot and speedloaders,, ? ICORE would flip out

The 10 shot guns would be very nice, but I do not see any manufacture investing in that. I would prefer an 8 shot L frame in 30 super carry myself, however I do not see S&W doing that either. 

Edited by Pseudonym

8 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I am still working on  loading up the 32H&R, the 327 cases are to long for rapid extraction, was trying to think up an alterative to 32H&R.

What about trimming the case and then working up a load?

4 hours ago, mchapman said:

What about trimming the case and then working up a load?

I would be hesitant to shorten 32 H&R cases, those clear the chambers on the extraction rod stroke.  Also the "published' data on 32 H&R is under max loadings by a large margin. The published data was to ensure safe use in the H&R revolvers chambered to shoot the round. The 30 Super Carry is rimless and .2 shorter case length than the 32H&R and a higher max pressure than the 327 Federal.. The 327 Federal are comically long when trying to pop them out as the extraction rod is not long enough. 

Still going to have the problem of finding the ideal (to me) .32 caliber bullet. A full round nose  profile in the 115-130gr in .313 would be ideal. I did some digging on old silhouette shooting forums looking for load/bullet data and found out the T/C Contender barrels that were chambered in .32H&R were .308 diameter. The .308 diameter barrel solves the problem of finding the perfect bullet. 

48 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

I would be hesitant to shorten 32 H&R cases, those clear the chambers on the extraction rod stroke.  Also the "published' data on 32 H&R is under max loadings by a large margin. The published data was to ensure safe use in the H&R revolvers chambered to shoot the round. The 30 Super Carry is rimless and .2 shorter case length than the 32H&R and a higher max pressure than the 327 Federal.. The 327 Federal are comically long when trying to pop them out as the extraction rod is not long enough. 

Still going to have the problem of finding the ideal (to me) .32 caliber bullet. A full round nose  profile in the 115-130gr in .313 would be ideal. I did some digging on old silhouette shooting forums looking for load/bullet data and found out the T/C Contender barrels that were chambered in .32H&R were .308 diameter. The .308 diameter barrel solves the problem of finding the perfect bullet. 

you looked at 32-20 bullets ? .313 120 gr,, RN but a flat point.
https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=114&category=6&secondary=35&keywords=

4 hours ago, Joe4d said:

you looked at 32-20 bullets ? .313 120 gr,, RN but a flat point.
https://missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=114&category=6&secondary=35&keywords=

Yeah anything over 100gr in .313 is RNFP that I have run across. I can't find a true RN profile. I was going to try working up up a load with these when I have some time. Though I now see they have a 111gr RNHP listed for 30 Super Carry.
https://www.hunters-supply.com/313-762x39-138-p-2611.html