Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik Rival Magazine "Over-Insertion"

hermes_actual

@Bob1230 So I noticed in mine I have these three gashes along that channel of the plunger.  Is that normal?
What does that have to do with the malfunction issue? 

I can see it having some rubbing marks after a while…sure, but I’ve only sighted mine in and that’s small gashes not wear marks.  25BB6E39-D6D9-4867-96F6-5FC8A1111DD8.thumb.jpeg.77d48df7f2d3a04b418ebf5f7d044705.jpeg776E4F83-650B-4BBD-BDF5-7CB7A7AD3239.thumb.jpeg.c548757c69cebe4766de92dd054ecd9f.jpeg

Edited by SufferInSilence

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

@Bob1230 So I noticed in mine I have these three gashes along that channel of the plunger.  Is that normal?

I can see it having some rubbing marks after a while…sure, but I’ve only sighted mine in and that’s small gashes not wear marks.  25BB6E39-D6D9-4867-96F6-5FC8A1111DD8.thumb.jpeg.77d48df7f2d3a04b418ebf5f7d044705.jpeg776E4F83-650B-4BBD-BDF5-7CB7A7AD3239.thumb.jpeg.c548757c69cebe4766de92dd054ecd9f.jpeg

Hard to tell but I wonder if the depth of that "slot" has changed during production as well?  Yours looks a bit shallow compared to previous pics, but it might just be the angle of the pic.

It does seem to indicate your mags are slightly over-inserting but the slide is somehow still clearing them (for now)

For comparison of "like" firearms, I looked at my Walther PDPs.  They do not have the channel.  My S has the channel and it is from the early second run and it has been 100%.  

My S now sits dormant as I have moved on to a different all-metal platform.

Those gashes definitely look like mag interference marks... If it were my gun, I'd get that slot milled deeper. It would be nice if Canik would do that, but from the posts I've seen regarding Canik's customer service, I'd go get it done myself at a local machine shop... Just my $0.02

Update: so I got a few more of the latest Henning pads for Rival-S. 

(The ones that came out about a month ago were updated with even taller side fins).  

The newer ones fit precision perfect in the gun with zero wiggle or play.  

I loaded up some spicy (155-ish PF) Winchester 115 flat nose and took it for a workout.  There were no issues aside from 3 random sluggish feedings (which I attribute to being brand new, bone dry, and the entire system being new).  I’m sure that’ll work itself out after some feed ramp polishing.   

So, zero jamming issues with these pads vs easily about 15 just to get the sight dialed in when I bought it.  
Whatever the issue actually is, this appears to have helped.  

It’s a beast and I have the Lok brass grips arriving Tuesday.  9711A666-3132-4298-81A2-99CB849838EB.thumb.jpeg.55dfb3528b1059cba488f480208ab316.jpeg

Edited by SufferInSilence

On 8/31/2023 at 1:45 PM, Bob1230 said:

I just received a brand new Rival-S via warranty replacement for failure to feed which may very well have been this same issue. 

I cannot reproduce the issue on the new Rival-S, so it appears they have fixed the issue

Here's a side by side with another Rival-S on the left. 

The channel running across the plunger is definitely wider on the new Rival-S on the right. I cannot find any other discernable differences. 

20230831_133403.jpg

Question - did the new one come with a SKU and/or UPC tag?  Curious if they changed those numbers, and if they did what are the updated ones.

Thanks.

57 minutes ago, Chrisexv6 said:

Question - did the new one come with a SKU and/or UPC tag?  Curious if they changed those numbers, and if they did what are the updated ones.

Thanks.

The SKU and Manufacturer's Part Number appear to be unchanged. Here are the tags from the Chrome Rival-S from early 2023 and the replacement I received. 

20230905_142914.jpg

20230905_143221.jpg

1 hour ago, Bob1230 said:

The SKU and Manufacturer's Part Number appear to be unchanged. Here are the tags from the Chrome Rival-S from early 2023 and the replacement I received. 

20230905_142914.jpg

20230905_143221.jpg

Thanks!

There was a post on reddit that a new SKU was coming, maybe still is or maybe it was just bad info.

I see your first was made in early 2023, mine was January 2023.  I dont have FTE/FTF issues but I can force the over-insertion problem to happen (especially without the magwell installed).

Pondered selling my Rival-S but am waiting it out...if the slide is the fix, maybe Canik will send out slides to people with the issue (instead of whole new guns and/or sending in a whole gun just to swap slides)

On 8/31/2023 at 8:16 PM, SufferInSilence said:

Tonight I took a diamond rasp (from a harbor freight mini file kit) and deepened that channel about .02 or so and filed in a slight chamfer to the chipped areas.  

Then I smoothed it out with a Dremel wire wheel and cut a Q-tip in half, put that in the Dremel and polished the channel to a mirror shine.  

Finally, I covered the area with a red sharpie marker, assembled and racked it several dozen times with each mag to see if it wore any of the marker off.  It did not! 

Fingers crossed, I don’t see any feeding issues moving forward.  
just remember to remove your extractor and FP block if you try this so they don’t get all gritty.  

From what I saw in mine, the rear-right-side corner of the magazine hits the start of the relief channel slowing the cycle down a bit, as it drags along the slide until it hits its next speed bump (the FP block cutout), continues to drag more until it hits the breech face and either has lost too much speed to overcome the hard corner of the breech face, or losses enough speed along the way to overcome the constant friction of the slide or one of the “speed bumps” of the other two cutouts along the way.  

One person above pointed out his newer one having a deeper relief channel.  I’ll bet that greatly reduces feeding issues ‘fingers crossed’.  I’ll run a few matches with mine and update.  
Maybe this is the DIY fix we’ve all been looking for.  

13 hours ago, SufferInSilence said:

Tonight I took a diamond rasp (from a harbor freight mini file kit) and deepened that channel about .02 or so and filed in a slight chamfer to the chipped areas.  

Then I smoothed it out with a Dremel wire wheel and cut a Q-tip in half, put that in the Dremel and polished the channel to a mirror shine.  

Finally, I covered the area with a red sharpie marker, assembled and racked it several dozen times with each mag to see if it wore any of the marker off.  It did not! 

Fingers crossed, I don’t see any feeding issues moving forward.  
just remember to remove your extractor and FP block if you try this so they don’t get all gritty.  

The newer slide also looks to have that channel wider than the older version.  

The fact that some polymer versions are having this issue makes me wonder if they made a change to a mold/CNC program and now have changed back to one that was working fine before.

I wonder if they modified it for when the -S came out, used it for both the steel and poly versions and now see its causing an issue on both.

• 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Itgma said:

Mine was out of spec enough where they needed to replace the entire firearm. I got the new one and it dosen't seem to have any of the old issues. Now only if I could hold weekends off 🥲

That's why I LOVE my airlines week on/week off schedule.