Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Main Spring weight?

darthdively

11 hours ago, hlsccsfa said:

All of my 3 S2s have CGW extended FP and reduced power FP spring and CGW reach reduction kit. #10 hammer spring would pop Federal and Genix SPP (provide that your press has adjustable primer seating depth to seat it deep enough) 100%. For any other primers, I would switch to 11.5# hammer spring.

arent Ginex on the opposite end of the ‘hardness spectrum’ from Federal? I don’t have experience with them, thought they were really hard. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:57 AM, Seoderus said:

arent Ginex on the opposite end of the ‘hardness spectrum’ from Federal? I don’t have experience with them, thought they were really hard. 

Ginex primers are very hard to seat properly, especially on Dillon 650/750 (doesn’t have primer seating depth adjustment). Not a problem on a 1050/1100, Mark 7 or X-10. Once seat to 10/1000”, an S2 with 10lbs hammer spring or a Stock 2 with Extreme light weight hammer spring and Titan hammer would make it pop every time.

I settled on CZC 12lb.

It brings the DA to 5.5-6.25lbs and with extended firing pin and reduced power firing pin spring I've tested it with the hardest primers I know of----IMI and M882 and have had 100% ignition.

Edited by FALAR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

11.5 hammer spring, ex firing pin, reduced firing pin spring.  This combo has been in my 75s and Shadow 2s without any hiccups.  Keep your firing pin channel clean and I use Wilson Combat Universal grease/oil on the rails.

27 minutes ago, fireman1776 said:

Using supervel ammo the 11lb had about 15-20% light strikes. 13lb saw improvement but still around 5% light strikes. Way too many for me. 

It’s the ammo IMO, know a couple guys with the same issues. I have about 11k on an 11.5 CGW spring with 100% success using CCI500’s. 

4 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

My question is:  Why would you NOT want to install the Extended Firing Pin & Spring?

It's one of the least expensive things you can do to improve reliability.

Because it’s not drop safe anymore. At least much less drop safe than factory 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:27 PM, fireman1776 said:

Because it’s not drop safe anymore. At least much less drop safe than factory 

Since this forum is based on competition shooting as opposed to CCW or home defense, that’s not much of a concern. If you are that worried about it, run it cocked & locked, or half cocked with the safety on. Or better yet, run a gun with a firing pin block like the SP-01.

USPSA Production division requires the hammer to be down at the start of the stage.  Cocked and locked or half cocked is not an option.  I replaced my extended firing pin with a stock firing pin to make the gun drop safe.  I've never had a malfunction using the stock firing pin, so there is no disadvantage to using it.

4 minutes ago, PA_USPSA said:

USPSA Production division requires the hammer to be down at the start of the stage.  Cocked and locked or half cocked is not an option.

Many shooters have shot Production with a Shadow, including myself and have never been worried about dropping it from the time it takes to manually lower the hammer to taking the first shot.

5 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

Many shooters have shot Production with a Shadow, including myself and have never been worried about dropping it from the time it takes to manually lower the hammer to taking the first shot.

While thousands of shooters have used Shadows with extended firing pins without anything bad happening, I replaced my extended firing pin with the stock firing pin after the RO was killed when the Shadow 2 with extended firing pin was dropped, went off, and killed him.  Even a 1 in a million chance is too high for me.  YMMV.

I used an extended firing pin as a sponsor sent me one with a bunch of other parts, took it out after finding it didn't make any difference and at the time it not being legal to use in competition. Never bothered with one after that. I think they are a waste of money. Super light firing pin spring, yes. I just stay at 10lb for main spring and it lights off everything, Ginex, CCI, Federal, S&B, Fiocchi, Armscor, Remington, Winchester, I've never had an issue with a regular firing pin. I used to run an 8lb main and did suffer the odd light strike, same with 9lb with some of my practice ammo, so I just went with a 10lb and stayed there. The extended firing pin didn't help, only spring weight did. 

Edited by slavex

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Michaelsabre said:

Yes hand loads. Yes they do fire on second hit. Kind of annoying. 

I had the same problem when I switched from a 550b to an XL650. I wasn’t seating the primers well enough. That’s probably the issue. 

2 hours ago, ES13Raven said:

I had the same problem when I switched from a 550b to an XL650. I wasn’t seating the primers well enough. That’s probably the issue. 

Maybe.

However I have rolled my own for 20 years. It’s the first time I had this problem.

Also, all other brand of primers run perfectly.

P.S. I run single stage press.