Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger reset issue

echotango

I have a buddy with a legion and had a trigger issue tonight. 

The trigger only resets if you rack it. If you fire it, dead trigger. Rack it, it works. 

Any ideas? He is not local to me so I can't take it apart. 

Thanks 

Edited by echotango

16 minutes ago, echotango said:

The trigger only resets if you rack it. If you fire it, dead trigger. Rack it, it works. 

What recoil spring is he using?  It seems like the slide is not moving far enough backwards to reset the FCU.

Another thing to possibly inspect is the ejector.  If he has done dry fire and over inserted the mag he could have bent the ejector upwards that would create drag on the slide possibly preventing the slide from operating correctly during normal operation.  Hand racking may over come that drag which allows the trigger to reset.  

Edited by Boomstick303

2 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

maybe its not the racking, its the next bullet not quite going all the way into battery

I have noticed my P320s all run better with stiffer recoil springs.  If the gun was dry and dirty maybe the 12# spring is too weak.  I will not run springs under 14#s in my P320s.

Have him check his grip weight. Make sure it is all the way seated.

If it drifts up more than a little bit it can interfere with the functioning of the trigger bar and spring enough to cause this effect in an otherwise reliable gun.

Does he have a trigger job?

Is it an actual dead trigger as in it’s binding, completely frozen, pinned at the back, pinned at the front?

Does the trigger have full travel but striker wont release?

Is the striker/sear engagement minimal enough that it will engage when slowly hand racking the slide but slips during live fire when slide velocity is much faster? Remember, due to the loose slide to FCU rail fit, a fully loaded mag pushes the slide up which decreases striker/sear engagement.

Is the striker reset spring broken? It’s a tiny tiny spring. If it’s broken the striker wont reset. Sig claims this was the cause of one of the recent P320 discharging by itself as well.

He has a GG trigger kit.  He is going to clean it, disassemble/inspect the striker, check the ejector and check the set screw on the trigger.  He has to take it to the range to test, so will have to wait to see what happens. Thanks all. 

10 minutes ago, echotango said:

He has a GG trigger kit.  He is going to clean it, disassemble/inspect the striker, check the ejector and check the set screw on the trigger.  He has to take it to the range to test, so will have to wait to see what happens. Thanks all. 

Is this a new installation or a previous installation that has worked ok in the past?

14 hours ago, echotango said:

I have a buddy with a legion and had a trigger issue tonight. 

Any ideas? He is not local to me so I can't take it apart. 

Thanks 

Sounds like he may have re-assembled it before installing the take down lever, assembled without the take down lever in the fully down/7:00 position, or try lifting the slide catch lever to reset.........

https://youtu.be/lfFpQ_0GQpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Gu2-P6nWI

🤔

Edited by HOGRIDER
update

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Sounds like he may have re-assembled it before installing the take down lever, assembled without the take down lever in the fully down/7:00 position, or try lifting the slide catch lever to reset.........

https://youtu.be/lfFpQ_0GQpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Gu2-P6nWI

🤔

Neither of those.  He was shooting a match and half way thru a stage it started happening.  On the next stage it would only fire if he racked it.  

4 hours ago, echotango said:

Most likely the adjustment screw moved and removed too much pre travel.  I found that you had to have around 2mm of pre travel for the FCU to reset properly.

I would back that screw out completely and see if the gun exhibits the same issue.

4 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Most likely the adjustment screw moved and removed too much pre travel.  I found that you had to have around 2mm of pre travel for the FCU to reset properly.

I would back that screw out completely and see if the gun exhibits the same issue.

@Boomstick303good point!

👍

4 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

My GG trigger doesn’t have any adjustment for pre travel, I believe in order not to compromise the striker safety. 

There can still be a problem with an over travel screw.

If the screw somehow gets screwed in too far then the trigger/trigger bar will not be able to move the sear enough for the sear to trip.

The description of the problem is vague but this same thing happened to me during a match. It was the trigger return spring. I put a new one in it and the problem was fixed. 

I was using a grey guns kit and they told me it needed to be replaced every 2,500 rounds. I had 5,000+ live through it and can't even count how many dry reps.