Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gray guns 4.7” Lockwood, replace……

Daslinger

I’m a D shooter so I don’t know much. Yesterday at a local match I loaded my Sig 21 round mags to 21 rounds, and one stage when I did the mag change, the gun wouldn’t go back into battery, got jammed up.  was like Mr. Magoo fumbling with the slide and the second mag I put into the gun worked, after I racked the slide a couple of times. 

Do you think the gun malfunctioned because it was dirty ?

Because I loaded my 21 round mags to 21 rounds ?

Or because I didn’t insert the magazine hard enough ?

*** OR should I try replacing the uncaptured guide rod with a captured guide rod from one of my regular Sig 4.7” slides ?***

Shooting Syntech 150

Thanks

Edited by Daslinger

I dropped the old magazine, with some ammo left in it. Replaced with a full 21 rounder. I believe the round in the chamber fired and then the new round coming from the magazine failed to feed all the way in. Gun wouldn’t fire and I believe didn’t go back into battery with the round from the new magazine. I believe to the best of my recollection. I was pretty pissed at the time as I had a good run for me going at the time. 

I had a similar issue at a match on Tuesday night.  I was using 17 rounders loaded to 10 at an IDPA match.  I think what happened in my case is the top round in the magazine was pushed forward almost out of the feed lips and it caused it to hang up.  At matches you don't take the time to analyze feeding issues and it didn't happen again.  The recoil spring is pretty light on these guns to help it shoot soft/flat.  If you're running grease like they like maybe it was very cold at your match?

33 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I had a similar issue at a match on Tuesday night.  I was using 17 rounders loaded to 10 at an IDPA match.  I think what happened in my case is the top round in the magazine was pushed forward almost out of the feed lips and it caused it to hang up.  At matches you don't take the time to analyze feeding issues and it didn't happen again.  The recoil spring is pretty light on these guns to help it shoot soft/flat.  If you're running grease like they like maybe it was very cold at your match?

South Florida at night, so it wasn’t that cold, 71 degrees (match was in the evening). You may be right with the diagnosis, round could have been pushed a little forward.

Also I wonder if it happens or tends to happen more with a weak magazine insertion. Maybe I didn’t have the mag fully seated. Or maybe I was too aggressive with the magazine insertion. Anyway I’m too lazy to clean my guns right now, So just going to the indoor range now, in a few minutes to have fun shooting.

Also I hate to admit it but I’m a putz with putting back an uncaptured recoil spring back into the gun, so gun might be a little dirtier than it should be. Just ordered the Sig Armorer's block to help with that.

Thanks for the feedback. 

P320s should be much like Glocks and not need to be cleaned all the time.  The good thing is they are super simple to clean compared to a 2011.  Hell, the hardest thing is trying to keep solvent off of the optic.  But you have me thinking about not cleaning mine until it does start to malfunction.  Unfortunately, that would be during a match, which is about the only live fire I get these days.

I’d suggest messing with recoil springs and maybe switching ammo. I was having feeding issues with my stock GG 15lb recoil spring and slower 147gr ammo when starting with a full mag +1 in the chamber. 

After going to 12lb wolff variable recoil springs and faster 124gr ammo, I haven’t had a single malfunction in quite awhile. 

1 hour ago, Daslinger said:

Also I hate to admit it but I’m a putz with putting back an uncaptured recoil spring back into the gun, so gun might be a little dirtier than it should be. Just ordered the Sig Armorer's block to help with that.

Assuming you're serious then I'd strongly suggest mastering the art and science of putting back an uncaptured recoil spring back into the gun.

It is not a 4 year degree. Should take you about 5 tries. Come on...

37 minutes ago, jpeters11 said:

I’d suggest messing with recoil springs and maybe switching ammo. I was having feeding issues with my stock GG 15lb recoil spring and slower 147gr ammo when starting with a full mag +1 in the chamber. 

After going to 12lb wolff variable recoil springs and faster 124gr ammo, I haven’t had a single malfunction in quite awhile. 

Bruce suggested going to 124s.  Once I've burned through all the 147s I've got, I plan to make the swap.  The slide is a little sluggish with my load even though it's not too light.  

6 hours ago, ddc said:

Assuming you're serious then I'd strongly suggest mastering the art and science of putting back an uncaptured recoil spring back into the gun.

It is not a 4 year degree. Should take you about 5 tries. Come on...

No joke 30mins of frustration and before success I bounced guide off a window, a glancing blow. Thank God the window didn’t break. Doing it outside on the patio.  Another time I launched the guide rod into the pool. And I wasn’t happy about jumping in to get the guide rod, that was at the bottom of the pool.

Edited by Daslinger

6 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Bruce suggested going to 124s.  Once I've burned through all the 147s I've got, I plan to make the swap.  The slide is a little sluggish with my load even though it's not too light.  

Thanks……I’ve still got like 6000…..150’s. But I’ll try 124 next.

As mentioned before, I doubt it being dirty has much to do with it. Unless it’s just a filth pile. I’ve had my my x5 pretty dirty and the only issue I ever had was when I switched lubes and the striker didn’t like it (thanks to the ones here that helped me figure that out). 

my 320c got FILTHY!!! If I remember correctly, I was near 2,000 rounds before cleaning. Just to see if I would have any failures. I didn’t. I just got tired of a dirty gun lol. 

14 hours ago, tt350z said:

Did you accidentally load 22 rounds in the mag? That would have to much tension for the slide to strip a round. I’ve been running a #13 recoil spring with no FTF and I use grease.

That comment from @tt350zprompted a thought... dangerous...

A lot of shooters download the second magazine by one round. So for a stock 21 round magazine it would only have 20 rounds in it.

I use TTI +5 base pads with a 17 round mag for my second mag so it would only have 22 rounds in it even though it will hold 23.

That helps to prevent issues such as you described.

It also helps prevent "short stroking" your reload as pushing a stuffed full mag into a closed slide can be problematic resulting in a mag that fails to seat and you don't realize it.

It either falls out immediately or perhaps even worse you get one shot from the chamber and then nothing until you tap,rack,bang.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:59 PM, oddjob said:

Little off topic, but RangerTrace.... What is your 147 load & are you happy with the groups??

thanks

I didn't answer all of your question.  Shooting off a rest, it will shoot about a 2" group at 25 yards.  For a non-1911 trigger, I can live with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...