Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Production Optics Rules Clarification

Ryan626

Hi,

I live in the US and rarely shoot IPSC but I am attending the IPSC Pan American Extreme being held in Fl in the end of January 2023.  In reading the IPSC rule book, I had a question about my CZ Shadow 1.  I shaved down the right side safety to look like the thin safety which is a part available in the past.  Unfortunately, it's been sold out everywhere for months here and even at the IPSC store.  Would I pass equipment check? The rule i'm talking about is: 

17. Original parts and components offered by the OFM as standard equipment, or as an option, for a specific model handgun on the IPSC approved handgun list are permitted, subject to the following: 17.1 Modifications to them, other than minor detailing (the removal of burrs and/or adjustments unavoidably required in order to fit replacement OFM parts or components), are prohibited.

The safety works but I had to shave it down as I was engage it when doing a reload.  I did not want to fit a new safety previously as it's allowed in USPSA.  By shaving down the safety to look like an OEM part, will I pass?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ryan

• 1 month later...

Yes the match I was worried about was the PanAmerican Extreme that was held on the last week of Jan.  

Seems the match management was kind of unprepared and they just basically checked if my safeties are working.  There wasn’t even a chrono stage for the match. Stages were great though!

I did have my other CZ with the thin safety on just in case the one I dremeled didn’t pass the equipment check.

Edited by Ryan626

At most IPSC Matches on my side of the world, the chrono is rarely done. It is listed in the invitation etc. but only done if there is reason to suspect that somebody is underpowered. It may be different at major Matches with Championships and significant loot at stake.

2 hours ago, perttime said:

At most IPSC Matches on my side of the world, the chrono is rarely done. It is listed in the invitation etc. but only done if there is reason to suspect that somebody is underpowered. It may be different at major Matches with Championships and significant loot at stake.

As per Annex I of the rulebook, chronograph is only mandatory at Level 4 and 5s, so basically continental/world championships.

4 hours ago, perttime said:

Required at Level III and higher matches in USA

US shooters going to an IPSC match should inquire as to chrono procedures, if any.   A couple IPSC major matches I shot there was a chrono that you went to whenever convenient, but it wasn't in the stage rotation like it is at a USPSA match so some US shooters almost missed it and got zero-scored.

19 hours ago, shred said:

US shooters going to an IPSC match should inquire as to chrono procedures, if any.   A couple IPSC major matches I shot there was a chrono that you went to whenever convenient, but it wasn't in the stage rotation like it is at a USPSA match so some US shooters almost missed it and got zero-scored.

That's useful to know thanks