Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard chrome removal

Bakerjd

8 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

How hard is it to remove hard chrome and refinish in DLC? I want to get the side of the frame on my tanfo stock 2 serrated and its hard chromed. 

I would first find out if whoever is going to machine these serrations can cut through the chrome plating.  Carbine tooling will do it.

Otherwise, the chrome either has to be ground off or reverse electroplated off.  Either way not a DIY thing.

3 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I doubt I'll actually do it. Probably just get another A01 and have matching CO guns. I don't see removing the plating, then recoating being cost effective. 

The plating is in the low 60s Rockwell C scale.  It can be machined through with the correct cutting inserts.  No need to necessarily deplate and replate.

18 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

I doubt I'll actually do it. Probably just get another A01 and have matching CO guns. I don't see removing the plating, then recoating being cost effective. 

Better choice.  Chrome plating takes up space.  The mating parts have to be loosely fit to allow room for the plating.  DLC essentially has no thickness, so if you remove the chrome and then DLC, slide fit WILL be loose.

20 hours ago, Johnny_Chimpo said:

The plating is in the low 60s Rockwell C scale.  It can be machined through with the correct cutting inserts.  No need to necessarily deplate and replate.

I just don't want rust spots. Better to leave it alone.

34 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

I just don't want rust spots. Better to leave it alone.

I wouldn't worry about it.  My main Open gun is in the white and I've shot it for three seasons (in the rain on may occasions).  Not a spot of rust.  Go get it serrated if you want, and don't worry about rust.  A tiny bit of good oil will prevent that.

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, zzt said:

I wouldn't worry about it.  My main Open gun is in the white and I've shot it for three seasons (in the rain on may occasions).  Not a spot of rust.  Go get it serrated if you want, and don't worry about rust.  A tiny bit of good oil will prevent that.

True true.