Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Mississippi Classic State/sectional May 19-21

Hi Gang,

It's still a little early but I wanted to give everyone as much notice as possible. We've held the Classic in October for a little over ten years now, but with other big area matches and now the Nationals moving into the late September/early October time frame, we've decided to move.

Mark your calendars, the 2006 Mississippi Classic will take place on May 19th - 21st at the Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club Range. Current plans for this Level III Point Series match include 8+ stages (new berms are coming), 230+ rounds, cash payout, plaques, and a full prize table. Please note that this year, both Juniors and Ladies shoot for half price. The final details are still being hammered out but you can get the latest updates from the match website at:

http://www.teammagnolia.com/classic/

Look for your match application on our website or in Front Sight.

Hope to see all of you there,

John Heiter

Edited by John Heiter

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're just trying to get it done before hurricane season. ;)

Tough to predict what my schedule will be like this far in advance.

Might be hard to work in another match so soon after Area 6.

Shot the Miss. Classic for the first time in 2005 and really enjoyed it.

It's a first class match and a great facility.

If there's any way to do it, I'll be there.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

My sister just moved down there from Ohio. I already mentioned to my wife TODAY that we might be taking a little vacation to see my sister (and of course shoot the match also).

I'm seriously considering making the drive. I do have 2 young kids so I would have to decide with to drive all the way down to the coast then come back u or stop on shoot on the way through.

Have some time to decide yet.

Flyin40

• 3 weeks later...

>! Blatant Match Horn Tooting Warning !<

I know I'm a little late but a friend of mine just showed me where USPSA (Kim) announced the names of the "Other 8" matches from 2005 that qualified for National's Slots and I'm thrilled to see that we made it and our Open and Limited top 3 will be getting slots.

Congratulations to:

1st Limited - Chad Lofton

2nd Limited - Bryant Chaffin

3rd Limited - Tony Phan

1st Open - Brad Griffin

2nd Open - John Bean

3rd Open - Bryan Reid

I was hoping that, by moving our match from October to May, we would qualify for slots in 2006. Making the list in 2005 is a big bonus and makes doing it again this year with the moved up match date almost guaranteed. With just a few more shooters, we'll be able to pass out slots in L-10 and Production this year as well.

Now if I can just work out a way of getting slots awarded to those who are slow but can't shoot straight then my master plan will be complete. ;)

Always a great match! I printed out the application a few days ago and only then did I notice it's scheduled on top of the TX State 3 Gun Championship which I'm scheduled to shoot this year. Looks like I wont make it this year. :(:angry:

Haras,

Yeah, there's nothing match director's hate more than people sending in paid entry fees long before the match starts so they actually have time to buy prizes, budget for expenses, etc. Why don't you see if you can encourage some friends to "ruin my day" too and send them in as a group.

:D

Thanks,

John

You should have it by now. Go ahead and cash it while I still have money to cover it.

Feel free to spend it however you need. If Sam Keen can intice a few revolver shooters to come maybe they will pay early to show other revos they'll be there.

Why not????

The Match Director can then use that money to get needed materials, supplies that he's going to need any way(Yes that comes out of the entry money).

That way he won't have to buy it with other club money, or even his/her own. :(

Plus, after a week or two you will never miss that money. ;)

HOP

Mark,

To be honest, I'm still not quite sold on self squadding as it applies to our match. Some of the reasons off the top of my head are:

1. Given our berm layout and tight schedule, I sometimes need to adjust a squad to make it a faster moving squad and I'd rather not have those moves visible.

2. I've also had to make some political adjustments in the past "we'd rather not have him on our squad because he's a jerk but we don't want to have to tell him he's a jerk".

3. We're kind of on the bubble of being a big match so some years we draw lots of big names and need a super squad, some years we just don't have that many and we do without. Doing my own squadding, I can compose those sort of things behind the scenes without upsetting anyone.

I guess it all boils down to being able to tailor squadding to our needs and those of our guests. If the match grows much larger, I won't be able to keep up and may have to go to a self squadding system but, so far, I don't think we've flat turned down a squadding request yet. I would be interested in hearing your experiences and reasons for wanting self squadding though. We evaluate things like this (self squadding, open squadding, etc.) every year in an effort to improve the match so I'm always open to shooter input.

John

Ooooo.....saw some stages today. You'll like 'em. Ya'll come on over/down/up and shoot some. (shiii....there's a rumor of some burm work that may add a couple stages, no promises yet)