Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

124 9mm recipe

Zachjet

I have a stock master setup for uspsa CO. I’m getting ready to start reloading for the first time and I’m looking for a “safe” starting recipe to get started with, and build from.  
I have n320 for powder and 124g bullets from precision. I’m using a Hornady LNL and have federal and Winchester primers. 
 My gun was build by Jim at J&L and has a 5.5# DA and a little over 2# SA trigger. I don’t have a specs off hand for the hammer springs and what not. I have been playing with recoil springs and have it with a 8# in there now 

I’ve been setting off all federal syntec/cci blazer brass ammo with no problem. Most other brands I’ll get light strikes.

Thanks for the help ahead of time 

2 hours ago, Zachjet said:

I have a stock master setup for uspsa CO

I have that very gun and shot Tanfoglio for years, CZ S2 these days, depending on the bullet and if they reamed the barrel, a RN 124 will have an OAL from 1.08 - 1.12”. The point is you need to learn to “plunk test” for the particular bullet you are using. There isn’t a “one size fits all” in reloading because of the variety of bullet profiles available. 

The load of 3.8-4.1 grains of powder is in the ball park and with that spring set up soft primers like Federal will be the most reliable. If you can’t ignite all factory brands of ammo then you will have to reload with the softest you can find. I used Federal SPP in my TF loads. 

• 3 months later...

I've loaded a bunch of Blue Bullet 125 TC and RNs - my Tanfos aren't reamed so I've found 1.10 is a good OAL that leaves a little room for anything out of spec.  For powders, I would recommend medium burn rate for 125 Blues, HP38, AA2, N320, etc.