Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classic 5" Government 1911's

cybrosh

Les Baer is my first choice in 1911s. I have two Premier IIs with the 1.5 inch guarantee at 50 yards and they both run 100% of the time. Period. Quality of parts, workmanship, and superior customer service. Les will make you pistol right (if it's not already 100% right out of the box.) That's their bottom line. They're also 100% original John Browning design internally. There's none of the unnecessary junk that's hard to work with that you'll find in Colts, Kimbers, Springfields, STIs and all the other factory pistols.

I don't currently own any 1911's equipped with a light rail. But, IF I did, I would pick up the brother to my current Springfield TRP Professional, which is known as the TRP Professional Operator.

These guns are just built right and they carry a wonderful lifetime warranty.

"I vote for none of the above because to use the light you violate a basic safety rule "NEVER POINT THE GUN AT SOMETHING UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO DESTROY IT".

...this rule may be true (although not according the the NRA). It is very nice to have a free hand to move a door out of the way as you search a house. Having a free hand is a huge advantage over having both hands occupied while searching for a bad guy. I like the idea, personally. The biggest thing to tell officers/citizens is to ALWAYS KEEP THE FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER (which by the way IS one of the NRA 3 gun handling rules) UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.

"I vote for none of the above because to use the light you violate a basic safety rule "NEVER POINT THE GUN AT SOMETHING UNLESS YOU ARE PLANNING TO DESTROY IT".

...this rule may be true (although not according the the NRA). It is very nice to have a free hand to move a door out of the way as you search a house. Having a free hand is a huge advantage over having both hands occupied while searching for a bad guy. I like the idea, personally. The biggest thing to tell officers/citizens is to ALWAYS KEEP THE FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER (which by the way IS one of the NRA 3 gun handling rules) UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO SHOOT.

Sorry but my quote came from an old Army DI who probably paraphrased something from Jeff Cooper.

The NRA dogma in "The Basics Of Pistol Shooting" has the safety rules in chapter 3 on page 21 behind Pistol Parts & Operation and Ammunition.

Rule #1 Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Rule #2 Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Rule #3 Always the gun unloaded until ready to use.

How about "Know what is behind your target" from the Todd Jarrett video.

How many of these light rail guns are actually being used by military/law enforcement who have a need to have a free hand while searching for a bad guy?

There are more and more gun mounted lights in LE, for good reason - they work very well.

However, you don't want to use a gun-mounted light combo (or hands mated up in a harries/ayoob/etc technique) as merely a flashlight.

We teach our guys to scan at a muzzle depressed reaady postition, whether they have a light or not. The is enough light bounce and spill-over from a 6v light in a depressed muzzle ready position to see the environment and to assess if that person is a threat.

This has become widespread practice in LE during the past few years.

The days of pointing the gun where you are looking while searching and/or anything you're not intending to shoot at that moment are over.

Research by Roger Enoka and others have shown the importance using muzzle depressed, as the small muscle responsible for indexing the trigger finger can easily be overwhelmed by the larger muscle in hands/forearms, resulting in a unintentional discharge given the right circumstances (overflow, startle, loss of balance response, trigger search).

Bill Lewinski has identified over 10 additional specific causes of inintentional discharges.

Bottom line - apply rule 1 always, and if you do have an ND, the likelihood of a bullet impacting something senstive is reduced.

Depressed muzzle variations are for searching/scanning, and pointed in variations are for shooting.

SF

How many of these light rail guns are actually being used by military/law enforcement who have a need to have a free hand while searching for a bad guy?

Well let's see. You're moving, he'll hear you and knows exactly where you're at, if he wants you, your A%% is done. At least with the light and good tactics you might have a chance. The light also helps prevent shooting the wrong person. Too often people hear the bump in the night and go off looking with a gun. I know of several cases where the person shot a family member because they didn't id the target. I don't think anyone would want to have to live with that.

Caspian, that way I can have it done right the first time. The Springfield Operator/TRP is pretty good too. BTW my SVI .40 race gun has a light rail on it, and I have used it to practice in the dark when the day light is short. It works better than headlights.

I have a light on my house pistol, that way I can blind anyone who shouldn't be in my house ;) and if needed ...

I love my Caspian Recon Rail on a race ready reciever. Too bad it not legal to shoot it the new Single Stack Division. I wish I got my slide cut with the new Recon Radius cut (pictured in new catalog).

Now I have to build a Race Ready single stack in 40 S&W (not that I need it but I just want one). B)

cybrosh sent me the following in an email, but I figured I'd post it here so that all could suffer from my opinion.

I was thinking - for 2000$ I could get a really nice custom caspian.

The recon frame with integral magwell, plus a slide(brand?), a schuemann

AET ultimatch barrel. The questions...commander? Government? single

stack, double stack? 9mm or 45? what do you think?

I don't know what to decide. I wanted the warrior, then looked at the

mc operator, which looked better. Adding all the bells and whistles to

the mc operator, such as novak extreme adjustable tritium duty sights,

front strap checkering, top serrations, lanyard loop, trigger work-

3.5LB, etc', I get to 2000$ easily. Then I looked at wilson's cqb with

rail, which is exactly 2000$, the same for Nighthawk's GRP, RRA

tactical...again, 2000$.

You have to decide what the gun is going to be for, first and foremost. If it's a competition gun, decide what type of competition you're going to shoot and go from there. I'm guessing with a light rail it's going to serve, at least in part, as a house gun. Decide, then, if it's a carry gun or a competition gun besides that.

If a competition gun, I'd say go with an STI frame and build it so you can shoot Standard. That'd mean double stack, .40, Government length slide. I like having the slide/frame being from the same manufacturer, so I'd use an STI slide. Basically, you'd be building dirtypool40's Limited/Standard/house/carry gun, as seen here (Click here for the topic). You can also get a full-length dustcover frame and have the 'smith building the gun cut the rail.

If you have to have a single stack, go with the Caspian frame and slide. Good ol' .45, or .40 if you're feeling adventurous (I understand it's a little harder to get running 100%). If you plan to carry it, the hard part to conceal is the grip, and you probably won't want to go to a shorter grip, so stay with a Government frame and slide. I wouldn't get the integral magwell, however. I'd go for an arched S&A magwell and have it blended all to hell. Along with squaring (and serrating the underside of) the triggerguard, I'd also have the 'smith checker the frame and MSH at 25 lpi (IMO 20 is too harsh and 30 isn't aggressive enough).

In either case, I wouldn't doink with the AET barrel. Gimme a regular barrel (maybe with polygonal rifling, but that might be hard to find... don't think anyone's doing that in 1911 barrels) with bushing and a standard spring guide and plug.

As far as sights go: Heinie. If you have to have adjustables: the new STI sights.

So, there's my take on it. YMMV. :)