Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL 650 Loading 45cal - Too Many NOT dropping

I've loaded close to 100,000 rounds of 40 cal major in my Dillon XL 650 and I can't remember the last time I had a round fail to chamber.  I drop test them in a Dillon case gauge before matches and they always fall in fully and drop out easily.

However, I recently switched over to 45 cal and I'm experiencing a inordinate number of rounds that fail to drop.  They get stuck in the case gauge at a rate of 10% or more.

I figured this was an issue related to the Crimp Die in Station 5, so I've been adjusting it up and down but I'm still experiencing the problem.

Any suggestions? 

15 minutes ago, eflatminor said:

I've loaded close to 100,000 rounds of 40 cal major in my Dillon XL 650 and I can't remember the last time I had a round fail to chamber.  I drop test them in a Dillon case gauge before matches and they always fall in fully and drop out easily.

However, I recently switched over to 45 cal and I'm experiencing a inordinate number of rounds that fail to drop.  They get stuck in the case gauge at a rate of 10% or more.

I figured this was an issue related to the Crimp Die in Station 5, so I've been adjusting it up and down but I'm still experiencing the problem.

Any suggestions? 

Try to turn the sizer down just a smidge. You’ll be surprised at the difference 1/8th of a turn will have on sizing

had a dillon seat die that did this in 40,,, Have zero clue why, I mean zero made no sense. Chucked it into the swamp and put my old Lee back and problem went away.
About all I can say is to take them out and see if they chamber before you crimp them.
Also maybe check OAL before and after crimp. Like is something pushing bullet in after its crimped and causing a slight bulge 

run a 45 case through your press without adding the parts like primer/powder and bullet

and see is the case plunks.

this should tell you the crimp is right or not.

From your description, I think the bullet is engaging the rifling or throat...

perhaps the bullets are a bit fat and holding the case out.

luck.

miranda

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

Ahhh, the famous "Glock" bulge on 40 SW issue. I too have Roll Sizer.🙂

However, the thread is about 45 ACP issues.

Understand I load .45 as well and Roll Size all I calibers I reload  Oh Glocks shoot .45 as well.... Have a Nice Day

Edited by Kilrb

• 1 month later...