Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do The Hollywood Producers Actually Listen To Firearms Consultants?

As many of us know and see everyday, the erroneous information that hollywood portrays with regard to firearms and ballistics on a daily basis in movies and tv, is fantasy at best, but yet there must be competent consultants in our realm, or is it just that the producers override their advise and go with their own versions, I know many of us cringe when watching series like CSI and Law & Order when we see firearms use and ballistics "bartardised" to a level of fantasy, but do the producers even care?

I think there are good consultants out there, knowledgeable folks who try to show the right stuff.

I think they are usually overrulled and if you get sticky with a director over what is correct vs. what looks cooooool (Like every shooter being a cross eye dominant weaver puke in SWAT) who do you think he's going to hire next time?

They want the shots they want. How long did it take to get them to stop putting the required finger on trigger to show how serious the hero was? Look at any cover box or poster. And we still have to put up with the "Camera Ready" position, showing the actor's face and the gun up by his ear to show his pre-attack snarl in close up.

The only accurate stuff we usually see is time capsule circa 1984.

Maybe the current stuff looks to smooth and natural and not "martial arty" enough, like say....a drag footed cross eye dominant weaver shooter with his finger on the trigger. :rolleyes:

Edited by dirtypool40

A friend of mine was hired to be the consultant for the movie Sniper starring Tom Barrenger. My buddy was VERY good, but quit and walked off the set, due to the UNREALISTIC CRAP, that the director wanted to portray.

They don't care, and only a SMALL percentage of us know the difference, so they care even LESS!!!

There is the rare movie or tv show that gets it right and generally thats only if the director/producer gives a damn. Of the top of my had I can name Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Ronin, Way of the Gun, Stargate SG1 (most of the time) though even those have a few small glitches here and there, maybe sometimes intentional.

Edited by Vlad

The only accurate stuff we usually see is time capsule circa 1984.

Like what movies/series? I heard of a movie with James Caan called "Thief" that had realistic gun handling/gunfights, but I can't find it anywhere... :( ; and maybe some Miami Vice episodes. But what else? Hehe, I was 5 years old in 1989, so the only series from the '80s I liked to watch (besides Miami Vice and Kung Fu with my grandma) were cartoons, A-Team (1000's of gunfights and 0 casualties and Mini 14's galore!!!), Knight Rider, Airwolf and such... So it'd be nice to be able to watch some good "gun series" from that time. Oh, BTW, I don't like Magnum P.I. :angry:

There is the rare movie or tv show that gets it right and generally thats only if the director/producer gives a damn. Of the top of my had I can name Saving Private Ryan, Blackhawk Down, Ronin, Way of the Gun, Stargate SG1 (most of the time) though even those have a few small glitches here and there, maybe sometimes intentional.

You forgot Heat and Collateral... Looks like Michael Mann makes an effort to show some good gunhandling.

Really... The list is sadly short...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I am the only guy who was not impressed with the alien midget's, oops I mean Tom Cruise "posing" like some mall ninja who took a three day at Thunder Ranch. And why does that little feller need such a big gun?

Mann tried, but he picked the wrong guy. Tom Cruise has now screwed up and nearly ruined movies in almost all my favorite genres, flying, pool and shooting. Everyone of them had technical advisors who were at least competent, but by all accounts he is a Hollywood jerk who wouldn't listen any more than just enough to fake the shot.

That grabbing a sparrow in preflight was BS and had the real deck crew diving for cover.

You know what we call three stop shots you could poke witha broom stick? A tom Cruise out. And every friggin' punk who thought he could make three balls jumps around like Bruce Lee twirling a stick and banging into $hit.

And for shooting? Just robotic and posed. OK, I'll admit to liking how he anchored the guy as he walked away. And the line about what killed him was good.

Everyone of them had technical advisors who were at least competent, but by all accounts he is a Hollywood jerk who wouldn't listen any more than just enough to fake the shot.

Well, obviously, none of those advisors were Scientologists, and didn't know anything. Don't you know, man? Tom Cruise has "done the research"..... <_<<_<<_<<_<

And for shooting? Just robotic and posed. OK, I'll admit to liking how he anchored the guy as he walked away. And the line about what killed him was good.

There were definitely good moments there. Just seeing a quasi-realistic use of a gun piqued my attention...

You know the one that really twists my shorts into a bunch?? The Matrix movies. I love those movies - so I'm not hating on them, but.... All the characters who've been woken and done the various training bits are supposed to be faster, etc, when they're within the Matrix, right? How come they can't hit s*** with a gun? Against Agents, OK, they're quicker than all but Neo, right? But what about against the "red shirts"?? You'd think we'd be seeing a bunch of GMs, at the least - perhaps to the point that they're aiming individual rounds at full-auto speed.

All right, so the movies wouldn't have been so "artistic", etc, and it could've taken away the point of emphasizing the kung fu stuff, etc. But.... STILL...... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Lately I've been noticing how bad some books are about firearms. Just finished one by one of my favorite authors and the guy writes really good well thought out suspenseful stuff but he apparently isn't a gun guy. He had a professional killer in an apartment building shoot a victim with a revolver but none of the neighbors heard anything. Why? Because the pro knew to muffle the sound of the revolver by shooting through a pillow.

I've seen so many glitches and inconsistencies with handgun handling and firing on TV dramas that it's nutz. It CAN be FUNNY to folks who know guns... then after it's funny we get ANGRY for the stupidity and the blatant, foolish inaccuracy of it. <_<

Because the pro knew to muffle the sound of the revolver by shooting through a pillow.

If you wrapped one of those $90 Tempur-Pedic foam pillows around the gun I'd bet the price of the pillow you wouldn't hear it next door. Of course apartments where people could afford $90+ pillows probably have pretty good walls. :D

At least he didn't flip the safety off before he fired!

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Oh, OH! I have one...

How about the fact that every LEO has to rack the slide on their glock before they "go in".

Perhaps they are just calling our attention to another form of government waste. You know, all these live rounds being ejected all over... :lol:;)

Ira