Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 tool heads

I messaged CNC shooter but don’t have a reply as of yet. I’d really like to have a threaded hole over the priming station. 

I’ve already bought all Mighty Armory dies and he’s making a spring loaded hold down die for the priming station which would solve lots of issues. I’ve loaded for 20 years but got the itch to upgrade and learn a bit morning the quest for perfection.

Anyone have input on the CNC shooter tool

head or perhaps this one? The Armanov had cool features but something tells me it’s a internet China  mass produced POS.

https://usa-shop.armanov.com/products/quick-change-toolhead-assembly-for-dillon-super-1050

Edited by brian45acp

The CNC Shooter tool head works very well; exactly as advertised.

Having the threaded primer station is a nice feature; gives you some flexibility as to how you set up your dies.

And the indexing pin is exactly straight and centered. Dillon's sometimes need a little massaging.

Unfortunately last I heard he was getting out of the business.

I did see on Facebook (don't remember which group) that he had done one final run.

It wasn't that long ago; several months maybe?

At least that is my recollection.

It is possible that there are still some left.

Hopefully he'll get back to you with details.

Good luck.

Edited to add: You might want to contact Mark Attanasio at Immortal Arms, Virginia. 

I believe he has a fairly complete understanding of the situation and was at one point considering doing something similar.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/219563958618739/posts/1099933577248435

Edited by ddc

Yeah that’s sucks. It looks like I won’t be able to get one. I may have to go back to original plan and get the level 10 primer station hold down thingy he made. Sucks cause I placed an order and they canceled it thinking this toolhead would be a better route.

I just bought that and not having any luck. Using mixed head stamps is the issue so if not spring loaded I can’t account for varying web thickness. The level 10 thingy is the best option I found but I had hoped to simply all this and get a nice threaded tool head. It won’t be the worst idea to go back to level 10 in the OEM tool head with all the nighy armory dies.

I bought the alpha dropper funnel also and it’s ok but I still get that nasty stick on the release. Wayne at MA is cool AF and I been talking to him. He says this will all stop with his dies and suggestions so I sent that route.

what started all this is ginex primers being different than my CCI. The Dillon 1050 having 1 setting for primer depth sucks and the flex happening because of no hold down during priming makes for some interesting deformed primers. The Everglades hold down die is simple and cheap but with mixed head stamps not the best idea. 

with the Everglades hold down die and the setup I was using I also get some toolhead flex toward the side at the bottom of the travel. There is too much uneven pressure going on so here I am on a quest for perfection.

what do you guys think about this Armanov toolhead? Super cool features and especially the built in light. Worried it’s a POS though. Wording saying upgrade for rigidity for less flex means it was s#!t before and most likely still is. It’s also alloy and not steel.

The story I heard was that the original CNC were out of aluminum but that he went to steel when aluminum didn't hold up.

There have been comments along that line with doubts about how the Armanov would do.

I have no idea what the real world feedback on those has been.

I'm thinking I don't care how well it does for a thousand rounds. Let me see after 100k or more.

I'm curious about the problem with primers. I've used CCI/Ginex/S&B/Win and they've all worked.

I occasionally get a flipped primer but that's it.

I'm loading on an 1100 but same basic primer system.

So there isn’t an issue with ginex but they are sized differently so I was getting high primers. If you adjust the primer depth they get to a point of deformation or have a half moon ring in them. One guy at the match showed me his and thinks the ring is a sign they are fully seated lol. They all

go bang but I’m chasing quality reloads and not just good enough. This is what has me going with MA dies as opposed to the Lee U and FCD die I’ve used for years.

Anyway, the primer issue is we really should have a hold down feature in that station to get squarely seated primers. With the Everglades hold down die you will realize you can back way off the primer seating depth rod because now you have this hold down feature. This to me indicates there was a lot of movement in the case and shell plate flex being overcome to fully seat a primer when no hold down die was in place. Ginex seem very soft compared to any primer I’ve used and they deform easily. This and the fact they were high is what got me going down this path.

I really don’t want to chase same head stamp brass so I’m going with the hold down die of some sort. At this point it may have to be OEM tool head and the level 10 primer die thing. I agree the alloy toolhead doesn’t seem up to the task. 

2 hours ago, brian45acp said:

So there isn’t an issue with ginex but they are sized differently so I was getting high primers. If you adjust the primer depth they get to a point of deformation or have a half moon ring in them. One guy at the match showed me his and thinks the ring is a sign they are fully seated lol. They all

go bang but I’m chasing quality reloads and not just good enough. This is what has me going with MA dies as opposed to the Lee U and FCD die I’ve used for years.

Anyway, the primer issue is we really should have a hold down feature in that station to get squarely seated primers. With the Everglades hold down die you will realize you can back way off the primer seating depth rod because now you have this hold down feature. This to me indicates there was a lot of movement in the case and shell plate flex being overcome to fully seat a primer when no hold down die was in place. Ginex seem very soft compared to any primer I’ve used and they deform easily. This and the fact they were high is what got me going down this path.

I really don’t want to chase same head stamp brass so I’m going with the hold down die of some sort. At this point it may have to be OEM tool head and the level 10 primer die thing. I agree the alloy toolhead doesn’t seem up to the task. 

Gotcha. 

I am using the threaded primer station on the CNC tool head for an expander die.

I would guess that is providing me some limited hold down capability during primer seating.

5 hours ago, brian45acp said:

I messaged CNC shooter but don’t have a reply as of yet. I’d really like to have a threaded hole over the priming station. 

I bought this one years ago, https://lvl10i.com/products/priming-system-support-die-for-super-1050

It works great. 

Immortobot used to sell a USA made all steel tool head, I have one, but I noticed their website doesn’t list one anymore. Email them to see if there’s a source.  I would not buy the Aluminum one for the 1050/1100.

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_46&products_id=332&zenid=un7kf9dmferh45unpipvit9211

I too use the Level-10 hold down die with my Dillon tool head. I see,where F.W. Arms is coming out with a hold down die as well. https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/fw-arms-auto-case-centering-dshd/

I would like at some time to switch to a CNC type tool head. Hope someone picks up the slack and starts making them. 

Thanks guys. I’m aware of the level 10 one and have recently bought just about all their stuff. Favorites are the primer adjust lock down pin and their return spring with bushing. The index pawl spring upgrade is cool but it takes some micro adjusting to get the index roller to not contact the spring. Basically I have my pawl stopped not touching the shell plate at its end travel and it still throws the plate to the detent ball which actually has allowed for much smoother indexing.

For the level 10 primer hold down pin in the priming station I’m having a hell of a time measuring the ID hole on the Dillon toolhead. I have nice digital calipers but it’s a bitch to do. Like an idiot I just canceled my order for one thinking I scored the CNC toolhead but now it’s back to square one. Kevin gonna think I’m an idiot lol. It really makes the most sense at this point though. I need spring loaded to account for varying brass web width. 

Edited by brian45acp

2 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I too use the Level-10 hold down die with my Dillon tool head. I see,where F.W. Arms is coming out with a hold down die as well. https://fwarms.com/shop/reloading/fw-arms-auto-case-centering-dshd/

I would like at some time to switch to a CNC type tool head. Hope someone picks up the slack and starts making them. 

Need a threaded toolhead for it. Also Mighty Armory has a spring loaded hold down die. I spoke to Wayne yesterday and it should be ready. I just bought all his dies so I’d go with his.

If you upgrade to the new thicker shell plate that will stop some of the flexing. I prime my cases only on the first pass. I run the sizing die and the swage die for support when priming, never had any issues. I only use cci primers though. Ive primed in excess of 90,000 cases this way. Just my 2 cents .

298666604_336525581937044_3164507594923088748_n.jpg

33 minutes ago, Johnnymazz said:

If you upgrade to the new thicker shell plate that will stop some of the flexing. I prime my cases only on the first pass. I run the sizing die and the swage die for support when priming, never had any issues. I only use cci primers though. Ive primed in excess of 90,000 cases this way. Just my 2 cents .

298666604_336525581937044_3164507594923088748_n.jpg

Good idea on the Dillon plate. I called them earlier this week and they did upgrade it. But the key is you are running multiple presses which I really am not planning to do.

Does the new Dillon plate sit nice and tight with no perceivable gap under it? The FFB plate is 23 thousandths gap under it and I don’t like it so I went back to OEM. 

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

I bought this one years ago, https://lvl10i.com/products/priming-system-support-die-for-super-1050

It works great. 

Immortobot used to sell a USA made all steel tool head, I have one, but I noticed their website doesn’t list one anymore. Email them to see if there’s a source.  I would not buy the Aluminum one for the 1050/1100.

https://immortobot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_46&products_id=332&zenid=un7kf9dmferh45unpipvit9211

Thanks, I did email him this morning asking for some insight.

Scored the toolhead from CNC shooter. This is their last batch and because of that I bought 2 and will save the other for whatever reason.

I was bummed to have figured out the best way for primer support was a threaded toolhead only to find out CNC was out of business. So I wasn’t going to buy just 1 lol.

also mighty armory just released their version of the primer hold down spring loaded die so this was perfect pairing together. I will get my 1050 back up and running once the parts arrive and post a video.

19 hours ago, ddc said:

👍

I bought two a while back also... lol...

It’s like you have to when you hear they aren’t making them ever again. I live in s#!thole

cali so I always have this mentality. If you like a gun or ammo etc you better buy extra cause it will be gone later.

3 hours ago, brian45acp said:

It’s like you have to when you hear they aren’t making them ever again. I live in s#!thole

cali so I always have this mentality. If you like a gun or ammo etc you better buy extra cause it will be gone later.

Yeah, I do that a lot, not just with guns, drives my wife crazy.

FYI; I received an email reply back from FW Arms; they are going to add additional caliber shell plates to their production and are working on a tool head. Any of their products I have purchased are first rate! I will keep my eye out for these new products.

On 8/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, cbrussell said:

FYI; I received an email reply back from FW Arms; they are going to add additional caliber shell plates to their production and are working on a tool head. Any of their products I have purchased are first rate! I will keep my eye out for these new products.

That’s good someone else is going to continue making these. 

Still waiting for mine to show up. Little scary sending venmo money without protection but it seems most you guys here have bought from this CNC shooter guy and had no issues.

• 3 months later...

After contacting CNC  for an inquiry around the 1st week in Sept. I was able to get he funds together and contacted him again and he had 5 left before my order. I now have one on the way! I had to create a Venmo account to complete the payment. As another has stated, it is a little intimidating sending money with no recourse. But I decided to rely on his reputation and other members recommendations here.

12 minutes ago, Blacktail 8541 said:

After contacting CNC  for an inquiry around the 1st week in Sept. I was able to get he funds together and contacted him again and he had 5 left before my order. I now have one on the way! I had to create a Venmo account to complete the payment. As another has stated, it is a little intimidating sending money with no recourse. But I decided to rely on his reputation and other members recommendations here.

Thanks for the update; much appreciated.

On 12/12/2022 at 6:50 PM, Blacktail 8541 said:

I think you will be ok. I've bought a couple through him and although the buying process is a little clunky for lack of a better term I got my product both times without any drama.