Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge 617

Makicjf

I've been shooting RFPI with a Glock 44 due to a broken trigger finger.  I'm attempting to start shooting Revo's again and would love to shoot a 617 and attempt to replicate my high times with a Revo.

How heavy is the average trigger after a polish?  I shot a few strings with another shooters RFPO 617 a few weeks ago and it was smooth and no heavier than my N frames with the non federal strain screws in place.

Though it was only a few strings, I experienced no pain or fatigue.  Now I've got the 617 bug!

Are the apex hammers worth it?

I know I'll need two, one for RFPI and one to re-due RFPO with a round gun.

What can be done to make a 617 ADA compliant for a bum trigger finger?

Thanks!

Jason

FB_IMG_1659873847824.jpg

Edited by Makicjf

I really like shooting my 617 for Steel Challenge and actually shoot it better than my auto.  Just something about revolvers that I enjoy.

I use an Apex Mass Drive Hammer and find that it allows me to shoot a wider variety of ammo reliably.  Trigger pull is very smooth and I can go as low as 7 pounds with 100 % ignition. 

617 on slab.jpg

Just now, AzShooter said:

I really like shooting my 617 for Steel Challenge and actually shoot it better than my auto.  Just something about revolvers that I enjoy.

I use an Apex Mass Drive Hammer and find that it allows me to shoot a wider variety of ammo reliably.  Trigger pull is very smooth and I can go as low as 7 pounds with 100 % ignition. 

617 on slab.jpg

Thanks!  That's awesome. That's probably better than my non Federal pull weights!  I'll put the Apex hammer on my list!

Thanks!

Jason

I'll have my K&L frame hammer ready to go this month (I hope). It starts at the normal weight, then goes down to whatever just the rebound spring is. On my centerfires, that's around 6.5 to 7 down to about 3. I haven't done a rimfire yet, but it will be similar, maybe with a little higher starting weight. You can check it out at revupaction.com

Edited by Toolguy

Just now, Joe4d said:

good luck finding one, i gave up and dusted off my 22/45

I can find them on GunBroker, I just need to be willing to $$$...

I'll run the title Glock 44 until I find the right deal!

I got my 617 used off this forum. Previous owner had a trigger job done on it. Not sure exactly what was done but still has the factory hammer. Pull is 7.5 lbs and it sets off ammos I've tried.

Two things I don't like about shooting 617 in steel matches - of course no 22 revo divisions. And reloading and storing the empties and live rounds. I have speed beez loading block but don't have a good system to dump the cylinder of empties and live rounds. I used a empty 22 bulk box to clear the cylinder then go back after and separate the empties from the live rounds. Anyone have a good reloading the cylinder setup between strings?

I use a dump bag that I got from Revolver Supply Company for emptying my gun between runs.  I just throw my spent speed loaders in the bag after reloading.  I can carry all my empties and unspent cartridges until the end of the match.  When I get home I simply dump the pouch and separate live from fired rounds.

Edited by AzShooter
spelling

16 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I got my 617 used off this forum. Previous owner had a trigger job done on it. Not sure exactly what was done but still has the factory hammer. Pull is 7.5 lbs and it sets off ammos I've tried.

Two things I don't like about shooting 617 in steel matches - of course no 22 revo divisions. And reloading and storing the empties and live rounds. I have speed beez loading block but don't have a good system to dump the cylinder of empties and live rounds. I used a empty 22 bulk box to clear the cylinder then go back after and separate the empties from the live rounds. Anyone have a good reloading the cylinder setup between strings?

Your plan sounds right, then save the spent brass and get some cash from recycling it at the end of the season.  If you shoot a lot of SC it might buy a couple of boxes.

19 hours ago, Chillywig said:

The best thing I've found is a shot shell belt pouch with 2 pockets, I use the inside pouch for filled DS-10-SPEED loaders and the other pouch to dump the cylinder and empty speed loaders. Mine was from Gander Mountain but the picture below is similar to what I use.

If you want to shoot a 22 revo division go shoot SCSA at the Atlanta Conservation Club in Indiana, they've had those divisions for a while.

pouch.jpg

SCSA2011.jpg

SCSA2012.jpg

SCSA2013.jpg

Edited by DS-10-SPEED
Added info

Tonight was steel challenge and I shot the 617. I mentioned my emptying the cylinder dilemma and another shooter told me he had seen a gentlemen using binocular shoulder straps. When it was his turn to shoot he'd clip small box onto the bino straps and empty the cylinder into that box. When done shooting he'd unclip the dump box. 

I like the thought of having a bag full DS-10-SPEED loaders too. Doing that would do away with the loading block. Do they ever have sales when it would be a good time to buy several? 

I haven't seen a sale but the price of the DS-10s at Revolver Supply Co. just went up from $25 to $27 a piece.  Not bad. It's good to have at least 6 on your belt so that you can run an entire stage and have an extra in case you need to reload.

DS-10s are the best and are cheaper than the SpeedBee loaders by about $10 each.  They hold the bullets more solidly and I find them easier to get into the cylinders of my 617.

617 wtih new DS-10s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 12:44 PM, rooster mcbee said:

If you're having a hard time finding a 617, I'd suggest looking on ARMSLIST.  Last time I looked there for a 617, there were some listed in the $800-$900 range.

No thanks.  Unless its new and being ordered by a local dealer, not interested in anything sight unseen online. 

Here's how I carry my empties.  It's from RevolverSupply.com and I made the belt loop from some scrap leather. It's easy to dump my cylinder after a run and after I stage I take out my 5 loaders to reload.  After the match I empty the pouch at home and separate loaded from spent cases.

Black Rig With 617.jpg