Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paper box vs. Plastic box

rooster mcbee

43 minutes ago, rooster mcbee said:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in CCI standard velocity ammunition that comes in the 50 round paper box as opposed the ammunition that comes in the 100 round plastic box?  I've wondered why they offer both.

Seems that the only difference is price. Two boxes of 50 is usually cheaper than the box of 100. 

There may be a difference.  CCI tests each lot of target ammo for consistency and accuracy.  It is then label as Green Tag if it is the best, or other if lesser.  CCI plastic box 0032 and higher all use the same powder, priming compound, etc.  Paper box SV may be the same as long as there are enough of everything to go around.  If there is a shortage, CCI will vary the priming compound, powder, etc. for paper box.  0032 is more consistent.  If you are shooting bullseye, especially at 50 yard slow fire, it can make a difference.

The only paper box CCI I have seen in modern times was from Target Sports and they imply that it is packaged that way for them.

I have some of both but am not a good enough shot to tell a difference.

Edited by Jim Watson

46 minutes ago, zzt said:

There may be a difference.  CCI tests each lot of target ammo for consistency and accuracy.  It is then label as Green Tag if it is the best, or other if lesser.  CCI plastic box 0032 and higher all use the same powder, priming compound, etc.  Paper box SV may be the same as long as there are enough of everything to go around.  If there is a shortage, CCI will vary the priming compound, powder, etc. for paper box.  0032 is more consistent.  If you are shooting bullseye, especially at 50 yard slow fire, it can make a difference.

I've read this too from various sources.  For steel challenge, it definitely doesn't matter. 

• 5 weeks later...