Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC crimp die

Squirrel45

Hi All, 

I started putting together some 38 shorts and using a 9mm lee die I am scuffing some of the coating off the bullet. What is a good crimp die for these little guys?

thanks 

Squirrel 

On 7/23/2022 at 5:23 PM, pskys2 said:

Usually a 9mm Taper Crimp Die is what I use, I crimp down to .370"+/- and no tighter.

Im using that die right now but with 100g's from Bang and Clang its taking just the coating off in spots. No lead is being shaved and no other defects are present that I can see.

*Update* I ran a few theses through a 627 5" no issues with accuracy etc. I will look at getting a 38SC die in the future but do not think it is affecting anything but appearance.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

The scraping is likely caused by not belling the case enough, also if you are seating and crimpint at the same time you are compounding the problem. I seat and crimp on separate stages with just enough belling of the case to allow the bullet to funnel into the case.

16 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

*Update* I ran a few theses through a 627 5" no issues with accuracy etc. I will look at getting a 38SC die in the future but do not think it is affecting anything but appearance.  

thanks 

Squirrel 

Long Long Long lead times

53 minutes ago, 357454 said:

The scraping is likely caused by not belling the case enough, also if you are seating and crimpint at the same time you are compounding the problem. I seat and crimp on separate stages with just enough belling of the case to allow the bullet to funnel into the case.

Seating and crimping are separate. Only being scuffed by the crimp stage. Iv loaded thousands of coated bullets over the years. I believe it has more to do with the bullet profile v. Crimp die.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 7:40 AM, 357454 said:

Same issue but 9mm & 124/145 blue bullets .I seat & crimp (Lee die) together.I use the Lyman "m" die, you can vary the "bell"& it's depth... I'll pull a bullet and check "paint" crimp mark..... I could never get the "bell" correct with either the Dillon "F" powder drop or one of the cure-all after market dropper/bell funnels........IF, your using range brass?... Remember it can vary just a bit in OAL so there can be very slight changes + how many times it's been fire......SO, it' can be difficult to be consistant...