Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

is this mag beyond repair?

kewi

IMG_20220715_135309.thumb.jpg.6765d1597e101a80c34232b7bb0f37fd.jpg

i have a sps 170mm mag that's having feeding problems. it occasionally happens on the 15-17th round but on the last 2 rounds it fails to feed everytime..i checked the dimensions on the feed lips and it's within spec .355 at the back and .368 at the front. i also have an old sti gen 1 126mm mag that's way out of spec but functions 100%. so i tried to open the feed lips on the sps mags but i over widened it causing a tear on the rear portion of the feed lips..however, as i tried hand cycling it, the ftf problems are gone..should i try to have it weld? or is this mag alreadt unusable?

Edited by kewi
attached image

will probably have it tig welded. not considering a new mag at the moment since magazines from where i am are ridiculously expensive. just want to save this mag as much as possible..hopefully it'll hold up and run reliably..

1 hour ago, kewi said:

will probably have it tig welded. not considering a new mag at the moment since magazines from where i am are ridiculously expensive. just want to save this mag as much as possible..hopefully it'll hold up and run reliably..

I think that's a good plan. If it costs even $100 fo weld it, and you use solidly for a year or two, you'll come out ahead. Besides, what can it hurt to try and get it welded? 

yeah that's probably my best option right now..anyway the cost of having it welded here in our place is only about $4..so i figured its worth the try. thanks for your input guys..appreciate it..