Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Random Lock back

Artemis116

26 minutes ago, Artemis116 said:

Hey Guys,

Got an Atlas Artemis in 40sw that I have been using for matches, been getting random lock backs during live fire with rounds still in the magazine, anyone else every experience this?

This is why competition guns should be set up to not lock open

• Confirm that you’re not bumping the slide lock lever when shooting. Apply ink to the lever, if there is any on your hands after you shoot then that may be the cause. 
  • Make sure the magazine catch is not worn, if the magazine can move vertically when shooting then it could trip the lever.
  • As Sarge suggests maybe remove some material from the slide lock so it does not lock open when empty. 
Edited by BritinUSA

I would add to make certain the slide release lever has a small detent. Check gun with dummy rounds and slide off. Insert magazine slowly with round in it to see if it pops up slide release lever. If it does, it usually means it needs a deeper detent.

It’s also possible that the bullet could be hitting the slidestop and engaging it. If this is the case, you could try another profile bullet, shorten your OAL or remove some material from the catch. 

4 hours ago, scooterj said:

It’s also possible that the bullet could be hitting the slidestop and engaging it. If this is the case, you could try another profile bullet, shorten your OAL or remove some material from the catch. 

👆

"It’s also possible that the bullet could be hitting the slidestop and engaging it. If this is the case, you could try another profile bullet, shorten your OAL or remove some material from the catch."

My vote.  Happened to me.

1 minute ago, oddjob said:

"It’s also possible that the bullet could be hitting the slidestop and engaging it. If this is the case, you could try another profile bullet, shorten your OAL or remove some material from the catch."

My vote.  Happened to me.

I agree with this; this can also be checked with dummy rounds and slide off. I personally have had this problem and had to take some material off the slide stop. Slide stops are caliber specific for that reason.

Just now, cbrussell said:

I agree with this; this can also be checked with dummy rounds and slide off. I personally have had this problem and had to take some material off the slide stop. Slide stops are caliber specific for that reason.

I should add, loading “long” can cause this problem.

If rounds have the ability to slide forward in the magazine (under recoil) this can repeat.  I like to slide bullets forward in the mag with slide removed to check for interference.  I've had slidestops that needed some relief to clear blunt profile bullets loaded long.

As has already been said, a detent on the stop helps prevent this if a pill grazes the slidestop nose.

Edited by johnmyster