Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magazine +X Base Plates

I tried the search here but came up empty so if this is an old topic, please excuse the duplication.

I recently shot a big steel plate knock-down match with my 9mm PPC using 33-round Glock magazines.  The stages were all 27 to 33 plates and, given my mediocre skill level, I had to reload on a few of the stages to get the last two or three plates.    So, I think another few rounds in the mags would be a benefit. 

I recall that Taran Tactical (+10 mag extension) and Taylor Freelance (+6 in 9mm) both offer what I'm looking for at reasonable cost.   Any preference for either?  Any other maker I should consider?  I only want to add a few rounds and I have no need for the 50+ round extensions.   Thanks for the help.

Edit:  Edited to ask if anyone has any experience with the 9mm ETS 40-round Glock magazines?  I have a couple of their 17 and 10-round and they have worked very well but no experience with their larger capacity mags.

Edited by SteelCityShooter

I have the Taylor Freelance +10 and the Taran Tactical +10 both give me 40-41 rounds reliably with no issues....if you take some time and install them correctly.  Basically smooth any rough edges on the mag and the edges of the followers so they don't catch when the bullet transitions from the mag to the extension.  There are several videos about how to do that.  I think the TT extension looks better, if that matters but the TF is easier to install and take apart.  Can't go wrong either way.  I have not shot the ETC 40 round mag.  Others seem to like them.  

Good luck.

Taylor Freelance has an OAL limit, which some manufactures load longer than, so be sure to check that. I can't run Taylor Freelance because of that issue, the ammo I run is too long for the extension. 

TTI - I don't personally own one, but I've heard good things. 

Because of that OAL issue, I run MBX. I have one of their Mini extensions that gets you 47, and one of the Mega extensions that gets you 57. Their gen 2 design fixes a lot of the issues they used to have with the extensions popping off if dropped. 

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up report.  I wound up buying the Taran Tactical +10 base and so far it seems to be a good choice.  I haven't been able to shoot it yet but loading to full capacity and then thumbing the rounds out of the magaziner rapidly showed no sticking or interference as the follower passed the base/mag tube interface either way.   I did smooth the edges of the magazine tube with a small file before fitting the extension.  

My only problem was with Taran Tactical's lack of instructions.  The packaging says they are on TT's web site but there is nothing there of much use.    What did surprise me was the difficulty removing the factory base plate.  Glock magazines have a pair of retaining tabs that you have to disengage before depressing the center button and they are different from all other magazines (Ruger, S&W, 1911, Sig, etc) I'm familiar with.  Would have been nice to know that in advance.  Google and Youtube gave me what I needed but that shouldn't be necessary. 

Note to Old3GNR:  No it wasn't Lower Providence, it was Palmyra Sportsmen's "PSA Shootout".

• 2 weeks later...

The ETS 40s were surprisingly reliable out of the box - they look suspect but they actually worked very well for me.  I ended up using them for practice mags - for match I recommend the MBX mags.  If you keep them clean and with fresh springs, they are pretty bullet proof for PCC.