Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 supressor sight height???

CPD7119

Pardon the thread hijack, but if this is a purely competition gun, may I recommend "No Sights"?

Traditionally trained shooters will almost always default to a front sight focus.  RDS users should optimally use a target focus, which is the biggest advantage of the RDS.  If you stick a set of sights into that window, it gets "busy" with a bunch of stuff to look at.  Lots of people will shift to a front sight focus, although they're supposedly still watching the dot and its movement.  That slows them down and obviates the advantage of the dot....

One may say, "But what about using the sights to allow the shooter to find the dot if it's out of the window?".  If that is an issue, dry fire and repetition is the cure, not iron sights.

Edited by Braxton1

1 hour ago, Braxton1 said:

Pardon the thread hijack, but if this is a purely competition gun, may I recommend "No Sights"?

Traditionally trained shooters will almost always default to a front sight focus.  RDS users should optimally use a target focus, which is the biggest advantage of the RDS.  If you stick a set of sights into that window, it gets "busy" with a bunch of stuff to look at.  Lots of people will shift to a front sight focus, although they're supposedly still watching the dot and its movement.  That slows them down and obviates the advantage of the dot....

One may say, "But what about using the sights to allow the shooter to find the dot if it's out of the window?".  If that is an issue, dry fire and repetition is the cure, not iron sights.

I know what you're saying, but if you're using blacked out sights that end up right down low in the lens, they're not really in the way and you don't really notice them, I don't even use them when I can't find the dot  That's how they came on my gun and I just left them because I figure one day my red Dot's going to die and I can finish a stage or a match, because I'm not  serious enough to buy a backup dot and or gun LOL 

Unfortunately for the op, I use a different gun and sight setup so I have no idea what height sights he needs

9 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

Not just a comp gun, gotta have back up sights. I plan on using the blacked out sight to make things less busy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the use of 'suppressor height' sights a useful aid when using a red dot.  Only needed the front sight in 'locating' the dot, especially outdoors in bright sunshine (not at a range).  The 'push' to locate the dot was slower and did require some 'scanning' of the 'window'.