Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 Cylinder Throat Erosion

MikeBurgess

I did a deep cleaning on my wife's 627 and found some odd erosion on about half of the chamber throats, this is a titanium 357 cylinder, wondering if anyone has seen anything like this before? 

Also anyone have a line on a 627 cylinder? 

BCh1nHH.jpg

I haven't seen that before. Maybe someone else will know. Given the problems with Ti cylinders, you might think about getting a stainless one. Those would probably be easier to find, anyway.

3 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I haven't seen that before. Maybe someone else will know. Given the problems with Ti cylinders, you might think about getting a stainless one. Those would probably be easier to find, anyway.

Stainless for sure, 

now the search begins

46 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

My 627 has a stainless steel cylinder. My 929 is titanium I think.

This gun started life with a stainless cylinder, unfortunately I had a double charge that bulged one of the chambers, I found the Ti cylinder when looking for a replacement.

1 hour ago, MikeBurgess said:

This gun started life with a stainless cylinder, unfortunately I had a double charge that bulged one of the chambers, I found the Ti cylinder when looking for a replacement.

Mike:

Am interested myself because I own a 327.

Here is something that you may want to look at.

Titanium cylinder erosion in revolvers | all4shooters

GG

1 hour ago, ysrracer said:

tl;dr

Don't use high power loads in lightweight guns ?

YR:

Nope -- not what it said.  

The article is pretty interesting and the findings are certainly not what one would expect. 

Not a metalurgist but will say this about the .327.  The recoil with any load is very sharp and if using handloads a person needs to crimp pretty firmly or bullets may get pulled from loaded cartridges.  And, I am looking for a broken underbarrel light to fill with lead shot as a barrel weight for mine.  

GG

23 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

Am interested myself because I own a 327.

Here is something that you may want to look at.

Titanium cylinder erosion in revolvers | all4shooters

GG

interesting article,

I wonder if its because this gun has seen almost exclusively 38 Short Colt loaded for USPSA minor with fast powder so the pressure is highest about the time the bullet is entering the chamber throat

It's hard to imagine that 38 Short Colt loads could do that. Are you sure that's erosion and not lead buildup? It's hard to tell from the picture. It could be erosion, but double check. Sometimes one can look like the other.

7 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

It's hard to imagine that 38 Short Colt loads could do that. Are you sure that's erosion and not lead buildup? It's hard to tell from the picture. It could be erosion, but double check. Sometimes one can look like the other.

Its eroded, I can hook my pick in the divots, its way deeper than I would have imagined possible. I really wish it was lead 😞

Ok after thinking about this way too much the last few days here is what I have come up with.

this gun has been run with this cylinder for 6 or 7 years, and has seen north of 10k rounds without issue. 

beginning last year I switched form 160-165 grain bullets to 130 grain bullets because they are cheaper and I wanted a faster bullet for swingers.

My thought is the new shorter 130 grain bullets are short enough that they exit the case mouth before they fully seal the chamber throat. this allows very high pressure gas to leak between the bullet and throat, causing the erosion, similar to the high pressure gas that eroded the face of the cylinder in the article above.

My stainless cylinder 627 that eats about double the amount of ammo shows no signs of damage.

14 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

Ok after thinking about this way too much the last few days here is what I have come up with.

this gun has been run with this cylinder for 6 or 7 years, and has seen north of 10k rounds without issue. 

beginning last year I switched form 160-165 grain bullets to 130 grain bullets because they are cheaper and I wanted a faster bullet for swingers.

My thought is the new shorter 130 grain bullets are short enough that they exit the case mouth before they fully seal the chamber throat. this allows very high pressure gas to leak between the bullet and throat, causing the erosion, similar to the high pressure gas that eroded the face of the cylinder in the article above.

My stainless cylinder 627 that eats about double the amount of ammo shows no signs of damage.

I wouldn't give it a second thought other than not going with a titanium cylinder again.

Am sure you will find one but I doubt it will be easy.  

Best of luck to you in your search.

GG

1 minute ago, gargoil66 said:

I wouldn't give it a second thought other than not going with a titanium cylinder again.

Am sure you will find one but I doubt it will be easy.  

Best of luck to you in your search.

GG

I actually just got off the phone with Smith customer service, the lady I talked to was super helpful, they had a stainless cylinder in stock and she was happy to sell it to me.

Last time I replaced a cylinder they seemed to be very not interested in selling me anything, this was a very nice surprise.

Since this is a replacement Titanium Cylinder, I wonder what the service if any was before you installed it?  

More than likely it has had the coating compromised by a reamer/polishing?  I'd definitely go back to a stainless cylinder though.

3 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Since this is a replacement Titanium Cylinder, I wonder what the service if any was before you installed it?  

More than likely it has had the coating compromised by a reamer/polishing?  I'd definitely go back to a stainless cylinder though.

I believe the cylinder was new when I installed it,

Stainless cylinder is on its way 🙂

On 4/13/2022 at 7:16 PM, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

Maybe since they moved from Mass that they have become more pleasant?

Wasn't even painful....  Something surely is wrong somewhere!

GG

Well, when you move farther South everyone becomes 'Honey', 'Sweetheart' and 'Dear', so ... yeah, they might be more pleasant.

On 4/13/2022 at 4:16 PM, gargoil66 said:

Mike:

Maybe since they moved from Mass that they have become more pleasant?

Wasn't even painful....  Something surely is wrong somewhere!

GG

I know, I was expecting "we cant sell you that you need to send us the gun and maybe we will get it back to you some time next year"

• 2 weeks later...

l got the new cylinder from Smith and installed it the other day, got lucky and it dropped right in, used the old cylinders star and the timing is right on, (the star it came with it needed a much thinner hand) 

tried it with some of the 130 grain loads and the accuracy was not very good, loaded up some 165 grain bullets and that seems to be the ticket, this target was only at 15yards and I'm pretty sure the flyer was me.

jsOLR7k_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f