Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Infinity Steel Grip Finish

cbrussell

What is the preferred finish for 2011 Infinity Steel grips? Since they are only produced in Carbon Steel and not in Stainless, once all the firing and blending is complete, I would need to get it finished in some type of finish to help with rust prevention. How have users finished their grips? Pros/cons of various finishes?

Thanks.

I have used HM for black nitride coating and was very happy with the results. Sent in frame, slide, barrel,  and other miscellaneous parts, plus 4 magazine bodies. All for $250. They are located in Akron oh about an hour drive each way, well worth it. Turn around time was 1 week to the day. 

6 hours ago, Posvar said:

HM Black Nitride is one of my all time favorite finishes. It's durable and gorgeous. My SV grips have DLC on them though. 

Why did you go the DLC route? What color did you get? Do you have to “oil” them a bit to keep them from looking dull?

Thanks for the info.

I love the look and strength of DLC and how it changes based on the metal under it….brushed versus flat, etc. No oil needed but when I clean the guns I wipe them all down a little and then wipe them off. 

19 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Why did you go the DLC route? What color did you get? Do you have to “oil” them a bit to keep them from looking dull?

Thanks for the info.

I should have 2 guns in hand soon I ordered a while back to post comparisons of.  Both will be coated one is black DLC the other CrN.

• 1 month later...

Everyone says they are the most plain SVIs they've seen---but that's the way I like it.  Both are sight trackers, the 5" CrN coated gun weighs 49.2oz (it does have a tungsten guide rod) and the 5.4" DLC coated gun weighs 50.8.  The trigger pulls came in at 1.75lb and 1.375lb respectively.

20220505_222202.jpg

Edited by FALAR

6 hours ago, FALAR said:

Everyone says they are the most plain SVIs they've seen---but that's the way I like it.  Both are sight trackers, the 5" CrN coated gun weighs 49.2oz (it does have a tungsten guide rod) and the 5.4" DLC coated gun weighs 50.8.  The trigger pulls came in at 1.75lb and 1.375lb respectively.

20220505_222202.jpg

Thanks for posting. I think both guns look classy. I am contemplating an island barrel gun and would be interested in knowing which one you like best, the 5 or 5.4 inch? Which grip texture did you get and how do you like it?

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, FALAR said:

Everyone says they are the most plain SVIs they've seen---but that's the way I like it.

I'm with you on that.  Mine don't even have the logo on the grip or magwell.  

Re: H&M, they've upped their price to $350 for a complete gun.  And they now have facilities in Florida and Arizona.

IMG_E0675.jpg

Edited by ltdmstr

10 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Thanks for posting. I think both guns look classy. I am contemplating an island barrel gun and would be interested in knowing which one you like best, the 5 or 5.4 inch? Which grip texture did you get and how do you like it?

Thanks again.

Well I can't comment too much on the most important things (shooting characteristics) since I only got them Friday and I'm still kind of laid up with 2 herniated discs (was confined to a chair April 7th through about the 22nd).  But I can say just handling it and doing drawing/presentation side by side here in house as I try to see what I'm capable of the 5" definitely feels much better balance wise in the hand despite the difference only being 1.6oz.

I went with the medium of the micropocket textures--- they have standard, tactical, and aggressive and I went with the tactical and it does seem pretty grippy.  I love the grip shape, so much better than other 2011s with the straight back.  It reminds me of a Shadow 2 or Tanfoglio grip.  I'm really pleased with the slide serrations I chose they look pretty traditional but man, they can shave your skin they're so aggressive.  Very well done and funcitonal.

18 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

I like this cerakote finish I had done a while ago on my Cheely, I miss this blaster and will likely do it again:

That looks more like anodizing than any cerakote I’ve ever seen. 

2 hours ago, donnyglock said:

That looks more like anodizing than any cerakote I’ve ever seen. 

I know, right? It's called "Candy Purple" from Sagisi Customs in Milpitas, CA. He does all the work for CGW.