Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 Fiber Optic Front Sight?

erwos

Sorry, I'm a revolver newbie and this is a little embarrassing. I have a S&W 929. Shoots quite nicely, but I'd like a fiber optic front sight. I can live with the rear sight for the moment. Does someone make a drop-in replacement fiber optic front sight at the same height as the factory front sight? Thanks!

Yes, Dawson, SDM come to mind.  Get the "Pinned" model, the "Classic/DX" FS is for the removable without tools FS of the 627's.  Don't quite understand why they went with the pinned FS though.

You can get thinner, wider, taller, shorter too.  Measure the existing FS though if you want the exact same thing.

Drive out the roll pin and replace.  Recommend a Roll Pin Punch though.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, erwos said:

Thanks, gents. If I wanted to replace the rear sight, how difficult is that?

The rear blade comes in different heights. I use a .196.

Cheap, like 10 bucks. Midway sells the whole kit. You need a blade, screw, nut, pin and spring. Lots of videos on how to do it.

Smith & Wesson Revolver rear sights are attached to the frame by a single screw and a T-Post stud that the elevation screw threads onto.  Just remove the front screw and slide the sight assembly off to the rear.  Several manufacturers make replacements. Millets (now discontinued) have a .125” notch width and a .088” depth, LPA has a .115” width and a .082” depth or, my favorite, the factory S&W .196” sight which has a .135” width and a .098” depth with or without white outline.  All 3 give similar sight pictures with the S&W .196” having more depth allowing me to see more of the front sight.  They can be found as a whole sight assembly or just the blade, windage screw and nut.  My favorite set up is the S&W .196” without a white outline and a .250” x .125” serrated inset fiber optic front sight.  This gives me the best sight picture, one where I can get a fine sight picture for those hard shots and yet plenty open for a flash sight picture.  

4 hours ago, pskys2 said:

My favorite set up is the S&W .196” without a white outline and a .250” x .125” serrated inset fiber optic front sight.  This gives me the best sight picture, one where I can get a fine sight picture for those hard shots and yet plenty open for a flash sight picture.  

This guy gets me :)

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

This guy gets me :)

Another trick I use is to get the whole assembly and if I have  2 widely different loadings, i.e. major/minor 45 acp, I sight in with one sight assembly, including stud, for each, add a little blue loctite and I can switch back and forth without adjustment.  Especially good for my EDC 325 or M29  that I also use in IDPA.

• 2 weeks later...

Be forewarned that the Dawson front sight (and prolly all other blades out there) come UNDRILLED.  You need to drill it yourself to accept the pin.

Also I learned the cross pin on the front sight is .056 which is typically smaller than the size included in most pin punch sets.

Maybe this is old news, but I am a noob myself so this is all fresh to me.

In digging around in my garage I found that a cut off thumbtack is the perfect size for an impromptu punch.  Do not use a 1/16" punch or you will ruin your front sight base...  you're welcome : )

16 hours ago, Sniperboy said:

Be forewarned that the Dawson front sight (and prolly all other blades out there) come UNDRILLED.  You need to drill it yourself to accept the pin.

Also I learned the cross pin on the front sight is .056 which is typically smaller than the size included in most pin punch sets.

Maybe this is old news, but I am a noob myself so this is all fresh to me.

In digging around in my garage I found that a cut off thumbtack is the perfect size for an impromptu punch.  Do not use a 1/16" punch or you will ruin your front sight base...  you're welcome : )

Go to your local hardware store, and get two #54 drill bits. Cut the first one to the shank to make a punch out of it, and use the second one to do the drilling. Go slow and easy. 

On 2/20/2022 at 11:50 PM, AzShooter said:

Brownell's sell the correct drill bit.  It's not a difficult job.  I did it to mine.  Check YouTube for instructions.

Closeup of sight in jig.jpg

Yeah, this is what I'm going to be doing tonight. I got the drill bits off Amazon, and I dug out my micro drill press... I have a very similar vise, too. :)

On 2/23/2022 at 3:37 PM, AzShooter said:

Good luck.  It's really eazy now that you have the right tools.

I went and did it tonight. Success on the first try! Measure fifty times, cut once gradually. Big improvement over the blade front sight. :)

17 hours ago, Distant Thunder said:

That's the setup I'm planning on. Now I just need to find out what front sight height I'll need for my 5" 627.

.250 or .300 usually works.  There is a formula to determine FS height on the Dawson Website. Try to make sure you figure it with the elevation close to the midpoint.