Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Single Stack

cep

Are there any reputable manufacturers making single stack,9mm 1911 style pistols? I noticed that Para Ord sells the "warthog" in 9mm BUT since it holds 12 rounds, I presume it is thick handled. I would like a small carry pistol with the great single action trigger and the thin grip. Such pistols are readily available iin 45 but what about something more controllable such as a 9mm or maybe a 40?

As some of you may remember I shoot a glock 23 but I like the feel of the 1911 grips and I shoot better with a single action.

The Glock is a paradox. On one hand it is utterly reliable and simple to clean. On the other hand the grip is not so comfortable for a man with smaller hands and the trigger is not comparable to a fine single action trigger.

Somewhere, there must be a solution?

You might want to wait a bit before buying. Springfield Armory will probably start making their new frame size in 9mm and 40 soon, if they haven't already. The frame was designed for the 45 GAP and is shorter front to back than a .45 ACP 1911 frame. The 9mm single stacks that are out there are all built on the 45 ACP frame. There is a lot of wasted space with this setup.

A smaller framed 1911 would be perfect for carry. I hope they take it to market soon.

Ever since I shot a friend's custom-built commander sized 9mm 1911 I've had the itch for one. The frame was titanium. It was so sweet.

You might want to wait a bit before buying. Springfield Armory will probably start making their new frame size in 9mm and 40 soon, if they haven't already. The frame was designed for the 45 GAP and is shorter front to back than a .45 ACP 1911 frame. The 9mm single stacks that are out there are all built on the 45 ACP frame. There is a lot of wasted space with this setup.

Springfield has no plans to produce even one gun on their "new" on the front cover of every magazine in the country, frame size. Not even the featured micro in .45 gap. Zero.

Springfield has no plans to produce even one gun on their "new" on the front cover of every magazine in the country, frame size. Not even the featured micro in .45 gap. Zero.

Trader please expand on this. Why would they spend so much on advertising etc and not produce that pistol? I would sure buy one in 9mm, wouldnto others? And in 45 GAP every one of the gun mags has done a story on how ideal it is.

A smaller framed 1911 would be perfect for carry. I hope they take it to market soon.

Ever since I shot a friend's custom-built commander sized 9mm 1911 I've had the itch for one. The frame was titanium. It was so sweet.

You might want to try a Browning HP. They are small (shorter grip) and thin, and also have a short trigger reach. Made in both 9mm and .40SW. It is very concealable and reliable.

Edited by bountyhunter

You might want to try a Browning HP. They are small (shorter grip) and thin, and also have a short trigger reach. Made in both 9mm and .40SW. It is very concealable and reliable.

Thank you. I will check into the Browning. Maybe I can find a local gun shop that has some in stock.

that's too bad if true..that springfield will not produce on the small GAP frame..it would be great for a 9mm..but maybe having all the proprietary parts and mags is more expensive than the money already spent...doubt any other manufacturer would follow..

otherwise...Springfield and Kimber and STI make single stack 9mm guns..every now and then you still fined a Colt. The HiPower is pretty small frame 9mm as is the CZ75 SingleAction model.

all would be good shooters..

99% of STI stuff is great without question, but the LS guns are supposedly hit and miss as far as reliability. I'd look at a custom commander sized gun... I've recently talked to Nowlin about a 9x23/9x19 combo gun (two barrels, one gun) commander sized, with the ed brown bobtail. IMHO, an ideal set up and Nowlin is very reasonable for what you get.

Paul

Edited by pangris

I just stopped by the local shop and they did have a Browning HP. It is very comfortable and is DA and SA. The trigger felt quite light and crisp even in DA mode. Then, the gun shop clerk handed me a G36 and that felt thinner AND the trigger is markedly lighter than my old G23! Now, I understand why so many of the forum members own several pistols. It is so difficult to settle on just one. Plus, I was told by the clerk that he is about to receive a G17 from the factory with a Crimson Trace grip!

I never knew the firearm industry is so competitive and aggressive in marketing. It is overwhelming. This is the first year that I have actually shot frequently and become interested in becoming an excellent marksman. There is so much to know and learn. I never realized before how difficult it is to replicate the kind of shooting I watch on cable with Mr Enos and Leatham et al. They make it look so easy. But I am learning just how difficult or should I say, how far I must go to approach that kind of mastery. But, then I did master the longbow and recurve. I remember when I was lucky to hit the target with a single arrow. thanks!

is a 9mm 1911 allowed in production division of uspsa? my research says no, but i wanted to check. would the only place you could compete w/ one be limited or limited 10, but only as minor?

It would be at home in Limited 10 or the new Single Stack Division.. but yes, as minor

Production always has to be double action capable, first shot at least

is a 9mm 1911 allowed in production division of uspsa? my research says no, but i wanted to check. would the only place you could compete w/ one be limited or limited 10, but only as minor?

a para LDA P18-9 could be used in production..but if it is single action..it would have to be used in L10 or Limited.