Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Open Gun holster is Everyone Using

war_material

1 minute ago, Posvar said:

Wouldn’t rubber add more diameter? 

No doubt, but doesn't shrink wrap also add diam?    I guess if one went the rubber route, one would have to find that balance of durable enough while also being not too thick.   Maybe not so easy to find, but that's never stopped me from going down a rathole....   😬

Not taking away from your mod - it's well done.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I agree that would help. However there is still some discoloration ( I hesitate to call it wear) where the retaining ball hits the trigger guard on the MPA DS9.

I'm not claiming it is excessive; only that I've never seen a pistol and a holster interact over any significant period of time and not see some evidence.

All I know is the finishes of Sig P320, S&W M&P, Walther PPQ, MPA DS9, all eventually show holster wear.

How could they not? Hard chrome?

Edited to add: Holster wear doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't look like I went after the finish on my pistol with 12" mill bastard, lol. I want the gun to work. How it looks after 50k rounds is somewhat secondary. If is reliable during that period of time I'm probably going to be happy.

Edited by ddc

10 hours ago, LMS said:

And you can get it in red for the gucci factor!     Just wondering if there was any reason you went with shrink wrap vs rubber?    Seems like the rubber would stay softer (vs how shrink wrap gets hard after applying heat to it).

IIRC, the shrink wrap was ~0.5mm thick; so didn't add a lot to the OD of the roller.

It was on hand, and easily replaceable if needed.  And the dual walls offered extra abrasion resistance........IMO.....

Done very well so far; and of course YMMV......

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using the DAA Racer X for my checkmate and found it needed the barrel support and hip pad to make it stable.  It works well but has some slight slop.  I also have a black Scopion magnetic holster for the 2011 and really like it.  The magnets on the side hold the pistol stable.