1. 1. Which of these?

• New Colt Anaconda
    • S&W 29
    • S&W 629
    • Ruger Redhawk
    • Ruger Super Redhawk
    • Other

On 12/22/2021 at 7:58 AM, GrumpyOne said:

For those of you who have voted for the super Redhawk, what is the trigger like (as compared to the S&W)? Can it be worked on to get it smoother/lighter?

My Super GP (same lockwork as the Super Redhawk) runs about 6.5lb in DA (measured pulling from the bottom of the trigger, not the center) and will light Winchester and Federal primers. No notchiness, a little bit of stacking at the very end of the pull. SA is ~2.5lb.

That's with a 12lb spring (factory is 14lb). I could probably get back down to an 11lb spring again, but I'm a little gun-shy on tweaks after all the trouble I had this year. It took quite a bit of stoning/polishing of bearing surfaces and a little bit of filing on the hammer to eliminate the notchiness.

1 hour ago, Fishbreath said:

My Super GP (same lockwork as the Super Redhawk) runs about 6.5lb in DA (measured pulling from the bottom of the trigger, not the center) and will light Winchester and Federal primers. No notchiness, a little bit of stacking at the very end of the pull. SA is ~2.5lb.

That's with a 12lb spring (factory is 14lb). I could probably get back down to an 11lb spring again, but I'm a little gun-shy on tweaks after all the trouble I had this year. It took quite a bit of stoning/polishing of bearing surfaces and a little bit of filing on the hammer to eliminate the notchiness.

I've got a GP100 that I've done some work on, got rid of the notchiness and smoothed it out. IIRC, I'm running a 10lb (could be an 11lb), but it will only reliably light off Federal primers. 

The reason I ask is, after several hours of polishing the trigger parts of that GP100 where they are like mirrors, and changing springs,  that trigger is still nowhere as good as my S&W or Colt triggers.

The thing that is stopping me from another Ruger revolver like that is, you can't change the firing pin (easily). If I could put in an extended firing pin....

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

The thing that is stopping me from another Ruger revolver like that is, you can't change the firing pin (easily). If I could put in an extended firing pin....

I don't know if it's percolated fully through the Ruger DA lineup, but late models of GP100/Super GP have a screw-in firing pin bushing. Bowen makes a tool to remove it and an extended firing pin.

On 12/22/2021 at 6:58 AM, GrumpyOne said:

For those of you who have voted for the super Redhawk, what is the trigger like (as compared to the S&W)? Can it be worked on to get it smoother/lighter?

A Ruger trigger can be made better, but it will never match a Smith all work equal. Not really close 

Don't know if I count, I didn't vote Ruger lol

Edited by RJH

On 12/26/2021 at 10:29 AM, Cherokeewind said:

I have an early  629 Classic, 6.5" with a 2x scope.  It has taken several deer and has produced 2" groups at 100 yds. with my hand loads..........

As usual, YMMV:)

You hold steadier than me. My scoped 454 only holds 4" at that distance with me shooting. What position were you shooting from?

3 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

Using a solid bench with good firm sandbags......and taking plenty of time on aligning the reticle. 

I've never had success with sand bags, my elevation is always different than in other positions. I sighted the 454 in using the Creedmoor position

18 hours ago, PatJones said:

I've never had success with sand bags, my elevation is always different than in other positions. I sighted the 454 in using the Creedmoor position

Do you rest the grip on any part of the table or a bag? 

For group ahooting, I rest the barrel on sandbags, and have my hands holding the grips resting on the bench. I get the same POI that way, as when holding offhand. The groups from the rested position are tighter, as would be expected.

Of the guns you mentioned, I own both the S&W 29 ('80's vintage) and an Anaconda (Original).  The Smith will have the best trigger, period, and is the easiest to work on the action work, in my opinion.  The Smith is also more inclined to "shoot loose" with a steady diet of heavy loads (again, IMHO), but tends to hold up pretty well to moderate loads.  The Colt is a great gun and is reinforced and I think might stand up better to the heavier loads.  Harder to do action work on, I would think.  One you didn't mention is the Ruger Super Blackhawk, of which I have several.  They are virtually indestructible, even with heavy loads, and can be quite accurate.  It's not too difficult to get a good trigger on one, either, and they're easily scoped.  Might be worth your consideration.

54 minutes ago, Ben53 said:

Of the guns you mentioned, I own both the S&W 29 ('80's vintage) and an Anaconda (Original).  The Smith will have the best trigger, period, and is the easiest to work on the action work, in my opinion.  The Smith is also more inclined to "shoot loose" with a steady diet of heavy loads (again, IMHO), but tends to hold up pretty well to moderate loads.  The Colt is a great gun and is reinforced and I think might stand up better to the heavier loads.  Harder to do action work on, I would think.  One you didn't mention is the Ruger Super Blackhawk, of which I have several.  They are virtually indestructible, even with heavy loads, and can be quite accurate.  It's not too difficult to get a good trigger on one, either, and they're easily scoped.  Might be worth your consideration.

Super Blackhawk is single action...That’s the reason it wasn't on the list.

• 3 weeks later...