Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x21 in a CZ 75 Platform

Squirrel45

Hi Everyone, 

I currently run a Czechmate running 9x19 major. I was viewing some older pro am videos (90's) on YouTube and saw one of the shooters running a CZ 75 chambered in 9x21. Was wondering if I could have a 9x19 barrel throated out more and run the 9x21.  I would think this would be a bit better then pushing the 9x19 so hard. I know its not a 38S or 9x25 but would it be worth a try or just wasting time ?

thanks

Squirrel  

What is the perceived advantage of the 9X21?

The 9mm and 9X21 have the same loaded maximum OAL, so the only difference between them is the length of the brass.  They reach the same ballistics with the same pressure (when at the same OAL).

25 minutes ago, Squirrel45 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I currently run a Czechmate running 9x19 major. I was viewing some older pro am videos (90's) on YouTube and saw one of the shooters running a CZ 75 chambered in 9x21. Was wondering if I could have a 9x19 barrel throated out more and run the 9x21.  I would think this would be a bit better then pushing the 9x19 so hard. I know its not a 38S or 9x25 but would it be worth a try or just wasting time ?

thanks

Squirrel  

Use a slower powder and you won't have to worry.  I'm currently using HS-6 and its easier on my guns

Just now, Rnlinebacker said:

Use a slower powder and you won't have to worry.  I'm currently using HS-6 and its easier on my guns

Im running #7, not really seeing signs of pressure or anything along those lines. I just hear people talk how the 38SC shoots softer then a loaded up 9. I know its not possible to run that long of a  cartridge in the 75 frame. Just throwing around the mental football

7 minutes ago, superdude said:

The 9mm and 9X21 have the same loaded maximum OAL, so the only difference between them is the length of the brass.  They reach the same ballistics with the same pressure (when at the same OAL).

To run a longer OAL non SAMI specs 

1 minute ago, je85 said:

If you're really worried about pressure in 9mm major then use shellshock technologies cases. They can take the pressure without an issue. Way cheaper than 38sc brass too.

I hear that, 38SC around 20+cents a piece. 9 = free. With the end of the shooting season here it leaves the mind time to thing, that could be a dangerous thing too 🤑

Best thing you could do is throat the barrel so you can load as long as your mags can handle. 1.16-1.18 is a good goal. 

Throw out the part of 38sc shooting flatter because all you're doing is chasing something that won't make a that much better, practice and dry fire will have better effects then what 38sc would get you.

5 minutes ago, superdude said:

You'll be limited by what will fit in the magazine. Isn't the Czechmate based on 9mm-length magazines?

Czechmate is actually the tac sport frame not 75 series so mags are a bit longer front to back.

8 minutes ago, superdude said:

You'll be limited by what will fit in the magazine. Isn't the Czechmate based on 9mm-length magazines?

1.18ish or so I think is the max that it can feed. 

I also have had mine throated out by Memphis Mechanic nice work and very fast turnaround. 

Edited by Squirrel45

6 minutes ago, je85 said:

Best thing you could do is throat the barrel so you can load as long as your mags can handle. 1.16-1.18 is a good goal. 

Throw out the part of 38sc shooting flatter because all you're doing is chasing something that won't make a that much better, practice and dry fire will have better effects then what 38sc would get you.

6 minutes ago, je85 said:

I have a nice load worked up and I feel that it shoots flat and the dot tracks well. It is just one of those things you hear "all the pros us a 38sc", in a 2011. 

thanks for the advice je85 I believe I will let this idea go the way of the Dodo 

Squirrel 

On 12/16/2021 at 8:45 PM, Squirrel45 said:

I have a nice load worked up and I feel that it shoots flat and the dot tracks well. It is just one of those things you hear "all the pros us a 38sc", in a 2011. 

thanks for the advice je85 I believe I will let this idea go the way of the Dodo 

Squirrel 

Biggest reason you see the top guys using 38sc in a "2011" is it's more reliable for the platform. 1911/2011 was never designed to run 9mm. Look at JJ, he is running a Beretta in 9mm.

Cz's are designed for 9mm so they're more reliable. 

On 12/16/2021 at 7:20 PM, superdude said:

As mentioned you wont be running a longer OAL, you will be limited by mags and feeding. and a 9X19 can be loaded long enough to not feed. That extra 2mm gains you nothing but ruins your barel, costs you more money for brass, andmakes it a pain for everyone sorting brass.
9X21 came around because of Eupopean gun laws that banned military calibers. Not for extra capacity...

9x21 was ran to make major as rules prohibited 9x19 major back then (and major power factor was higher). Back in those days people ran 9x21 in smaller frame pistols that would not accept 38 Super or similar lengths. I was there.....

6 minutes ago, ranger said:

9x21 was ran to make major as rules prohibited 9x19 major back then (and major power factor was higher). Back in those days people ran 9x21 in smaller frame pistols that would not accept 38 Super or similar lengths. I was there.....

9x21 is also popular in countries where you can't have military calibers as it fits in a gun that's designed for 9x19 with just a slightly deeper chamber.