Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3D modeled TS magazines?

CC3D

Very niche topic here but hopefully someone will know. Does anyone know if there is a 3D model of a TS/TSO magazine out there? Looking for an STL file to print some dummy mags for dry fire. If not, I plan on modeling them myself with some space for weights to make them realistic, and spare my feed lips in the process. 

12 minutes ago, CC3D said:

Very niche topic here but hopefully someone will know. Does anyone know if there is a 3D model of a TS/TSO magazine out there? Looking for an STL file to print some dummy mags for dry fire. If not, I plan on modeling them myself with some space for weights to make them realistic, and spare my feed lips in the process. 

I had been searching for one to no avail. If you do make some, please pm me. I’d like to have some for practice.

3 hours ago, George16 said:

I had been searching for one to no avail. If you do make some, please pm me. I’d like to have some for practice.

It looks like it will have to be a winter break project. Will shoot ya a message when I get them modeled. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay, been very busy with school. I've been prototyping the 3D printed dry fire magazine for the tactical sport series of pistol. To my knowledge this will work in the TSO, TS, and Czechmate. I have it modeled after the 140mm length at the moment but could do a 170 if someone is interested for their Czechmate. 

Currently the design allows for weights to be placed within the dummy mag, I like to use unloaded 180 gn bullets because it's easy to count them out for the correct weight. 

I'll post an update once I get the latest version off the printer and I'd be open to feedback if y'all have it. 

DAA makes some for the shadow if I understand correctly, but I get not wanting to spend 20 bucks on a fake mag. I could do them for the shadow but since I don't have one they would be difficult to prototype..

If someone has a spec sheet for the dimensions of a shadow mag send it my way and I'll get cracking on it. 

55 minutes ago, CC3D said:

DAA makes some for the shadow if I understand correctly, but I get not wanting to spend 20 bucks on a fake mag. I could do them for the shadow but since I don't have one they would be difficult to prototype..

If someone has a spec sheet for the dimensions of a shadow mag send it my way and I'll get cracking on it. 

I have shadow mags, a caliper, and a remedial knowledge of CAD.  I could try to create a basic drawing for you.

On 2/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, CC3D said:

My CAD knowledge is also remedial. Send me what you can and I'll see what I can do 

I don’t have my TSO yet but I’m looking at picking one up soon and would love to make some sacrificial mags on my ender! Have you posted the 140 files anywhere?

Project is coming along. The snag I've run into at this point is making the dummy mags heavy enough. The idea is that these things are super cheap to make, otherwise what's the point. A simple solution would be to get brass or tungsten weights but that is money I don't want to spend. I'd like too use unloaded bullets (not complete rounds) in an empty space within the mags. lead fishing weights or something would work the same. In order to fit as many as I'd like, I have to make the walls thinner. The way I have it right now, the mags have been breaking during dry fire sessions due to thinness. 

I'll be able to balance it eventually, might need to fudge it by making the mags slightly longer than 140mm which I'm trying to avoid. 

8 hours ago, Obvious said:

I don’t have my TSO yet but I’m looking at picking one up soon and would love to make some sacrificial mags on my ender! Have you posted the 140 files anywhere?

I have not. I'll put them up once I'm happy with the result! Probably within the next week, I will keep posting updates here as I make progress. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Finally got a version I'm happy enough with to show off. I've had a functional model for a while, the problem was durability as mentioned before. To make enough room inside for it to be weighted realistically, had to make the walls too thin to drop on the ground. Once I made it durable enough I introduced another failure point which was the door I had built in to the bottom of the magazine where the weight would go in. This was just a simple piece that slid in and out to allow access to the hollow interior, but created a weak point at the bottom of the magazine. I have relocated this to the top (which I did not do originally because it would be less easy to open and close). The current mechanism is dropping the weights in through the top and securing the top piece likely with superglue or a set screw. 

Here it is, ignore the ugliness on top that piece is a placeholder while I model one that fits better.

1694334957_ScreenShot2022-02-23at3_59_28PM.png.9e8a52f8668f0b0b365fa505409e647e.png

I'll continue to use this version in dry fire to test long term durability. My standard is being durable enough to drop onto a carpeted floor repeatedly and not break. Highly unlikely that a weighted version of this will ever be durable enough to drop onto a hard floor like concrete in a garage. 

I'm really happy with it so far, fingers crossed this version can withstand the continued drop tests. 

Edited by CC3D