Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Christmas Cards

BritinUSA

I know it's not friday so this is not really a flamer, just venting some frustration here...

I needed to get some Christmas cards to send to the family back in England. So I zip over to the local King Soopers (part of the Kroger chain). All I'm looking for is a Christmas card with the nativity scene on it.

There are cards with Snoopy, Garfield, Santa Claus, snotty nosed little kids with gifts, puppies, kittens and assorted reindeer, but no bloody nativity. What do these people think that Christmas is all about ? Do they think it's all about a Cholesterol-challenged, post-octagenarian with over-active whiskers and a penchant for gift giving ?

So I take a trip to the local Target Store to see what they have; There are more varied samples of Christmas cards, they have some with Angels, a couple of mother/baby images , but these don't have Merry Christmas, they have Happy Holidays.

I just want a card with a nativity; Mary, baby in a crib, assorted shepherds, small sundry farm animals and big star hanging overhead and perhaps a smattering of wise-men. But no, it's not to be, so I find a card with a Santa Claus on it a sulk out of the store feeling miserable and wondering where it will all end.

I'n going to get a 'Charlie Brown Christmas' on DVD, Linus and Charlie Brown will bring me back to the Christmas spirit, at least they understand it...

You're not the only one bothered by this. "Happy Holidays" burns me up!

It used to be "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!".

Not long ago on free primetime network T.V., a kid could see Charlie Brown, Twas' the night Before Christmas, Rudolph, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and a bunch of others aired more than once. Now, you may see a couple on aired at some odd date and time.

Field & Stream used to have a multi-page add from a Christmas card dealer with dozens of cards covered with all kinds of Christmas artwork. Those are long gone. Many were the type of cards you are trying to find.

I'm so damned tired of Christmas showing up in the stores right after (actually saw it BEFORE this year) Halloween. I want to barf. Even entering a store this time of year makes me immediately sick of Christmas music and all that. It pisses my wife off, cause she likes to play Christmas tunes around Christmas (like, on Christmas Eve and whatnot), and I'm alway bah-humbug about it. Frickin' corporations taking over good things, and the ignorant sheep that follow right along....

;) I love the spirit of Christmas, and the great memories I have of family and whatnot around that holiday. I really hate the big massive s**t that corporate America has taken all over it :(

Pegans

spread joy and brotherhood all year, it doen't cost a thing, or limited to just one day = but just try to find a nice Pegan card for say ,,mayby a "Happy Tuesday" card. I havent seen any nice Pegan cards

Edited by AlamoShooter

Take thee to Leaning Tree. http://www.leanintree.com/

High quality stuff. I buy my Christmas cards from them every year. They also have some of the best birthday and other cards on the planet.

That is most probably the company that advertised in Field & Stream. I know they advertised in Outdoor Life.

This whole politically correct holiday season has just damn near ruined the whole thing for me. We used to have "Christmas Break". Now we have "Winter Break". We have become so f-ing politically correct that we can't even acknowledge that there is a holiday involved with the reason. Hells bells but we have "Thanksgiving Break" and there are a lot of folks on campus that are not Americans and do not celebrate Thankgiving.

Not to mention that the damn holiday spend ourselves into bankruptcy commercials started weeks ago.

I remember the days when I was a youngster and Christmas meant something. Everyone knew what it meant to celebrate the Christmas holiday. Gifts were not about how many $$ one could spend but about what you honestly wanted to give someone and they accepted the gift and appreciated it for what it was.

Thank you retailers and politicians for RUINING the season. May you rot in hell.

Might I suggest a christian book store to get christian oriented christmas card? Oh wait, is that a rebuttal? In which case I'll just agree with you that it's impossible to find anything like that at the chain stores as they are trying to be all inclusive, etc. etc. I think the meaning of the season is lost on a lot of people.

Edited by carinab

I hate that a small minority of this country's citizens ( and I use that term loosely) have enough loud mouthed spokesmen that they sway corperate America into being "politically correct" and try in all things not to offend anyone about any thing. So Vanilla.....

As a small protest of my own, every time someone greets me with the term "Happy Holidays", I will in return, in the kindest way I know of reply, "Merry Christmas."

A small token, I'm sure, but I will endeaver to enlighten them to "My" opinion.

dj