Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Like For A Nationals Format?

Sestock

I like the combined format, BUT that usually means a week long match which I do not like.

The division split is not as important to me, as the schedule.

And yes I think the Nationals should be 20 plus stages, the best match in the country, double an Area match, etc.

Sherwyn

I think the biggest mistake you could make is running the same format every year.

Hated the full week in Bend thing.

Loved the half week in Barry idea.

Switch things around so everyone gets what they want once in a while.

Thanks Mr Voigt. You are doing a good job. :)

I voted for a combined match. The 2004 Nationals where we shot all 5 divisions at the same time in 5 half-days was great. Yes it is a week, but you get to rest every day rather than 2-1/2 days all day and no shoot-offs.

If we have to have a split, the two largest divisions are, I believe, still Open and Limited and they should be the lead divisions in a split format. In other words, Open-Limited 10 and Limited, Production, Revolver can be put with either since there are really just not that many people there.

What we really need to know is the number of unique shooters in each Division and the number of shooters with each combination of classificatons, All of which is still a bit moot. It all boils down to where and when. I will shoot if I can drive in less than 24 hours. If it is longer, and I have to fly, it starts to be a question. I would prefer a place with "Other things to do" maybe, if the timeis right, I can even bring the family for a vacation!

I realize that the comments were supposed to ignore the new Single Stack Division, but depending upon its level of success, we may need to re-evaluate the splits. L-10, Production and SSD area a natual combination since all require many more reloads and a diffferent path through a COF as opposed to Open and Limited. In fact, it is only because of the high cross over

I am in favor of adding the multi-gun/3-Gun match into the mix as well. I like the concept of the split format and I like the "run what ya brung" big match concept. Just have the nationals, announce dates and venues by 01 December, and move them around the nation to give everyone a chance.

One event. One Big Show, run what ya brung, dance with the girl what brought ya, and all that.

Enough already with the "five gun champion left handed red-headed (not red-hair, just a big red head)" thing. Sponsors may like it, but the sport isn't built on sponsors NOR is it built on sponsored shooters. More heads-up fun for the C and B shooters :)

Alex

Really want to make it nice for the B and C shooters....(Most likely the two biggest classes)?

Get rid of the "SUPER SQUADS" and throw them in the mix with everyone else.

That gets them in with the "regular Joes" and allows the "regular Joes" to get to see in person what it is to be a "GM".

I know USPSA will never do that, they have to get their "TV" time. For that "EXCLUSIVE" coverage deal.

I voted for "Other". Race guns...(open, Ltd, Ltd-10) and Production or factory or whatever you want to call it. Production, Revo, S.S..

Now before everyone yells L-10 isn't race guns.....Only thing different by the rules is the mag capacity so it fits closer to race than factory.

This is the "wish is would" reality though.

What will really happen, who knows but I still think the Nationals can and should be run in the Black, If they can't then maybe we need to look at new ways of doing them.......COMPLETELY NEW WAYS.

Just my wierd thinking.

HOP

What will really happen, who knows but I still think the Nationals can and should be run in the Black, If they can't then maybe we need to look at new ways of doing them.......COMPLETELY NEW WAYS.

Just my wierd thinking.

Ditto's Hop, but that makes way too much sense....

Edited by markm

hopalong Posted Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Really want to make it nice for the B and C shooters....(Most likely the two biggest classes)?

Get rid of the "SUPER SQUADS" and throw them in the mix with everyone else.

That gets them in with the "regular Joes" and allows the "regular Joes" to get to see in person what it is to be a "GM".

For the sake of argument, lets say GM #1 wants to shoot with his long time buddies GM #2,3 and so forth. Do you deny them the squadding request just to please yourself?

The squad mix at nationals, for the rest of us mortals is mostly by request anyway.

James

One event. One Big Show, run what ya brung, dance with the girl what brought ya, and all that.

Enough already with the "five gun champion left handed red-headed (not red-hair, just a big red head)" thing. Sponsors may like it, but the sport isn't built on sponsors NOR is it built on sponsored shooters. More heads-up fun for the C and B shooters :)

Alex

Well said. One big match, make your choice as to which gun you want to shoot and show up and shoot it.

If we want to see who is better in each division, try this. Make the match divisible by the number of divisions. Let's for the sake of argument say there are now 6 divisions so lets have either 24 or 30 stages. Split them into 6 groups of roughly equal round count and have the top 16 shot each group of stages in a different division. I.E., Stage 1-5 Open, 6-12, Production, Stage 13-18 Limited and so on, then we see who is the overall top dog better than anyone with any gun shooter.

Call it the Grandmaster Showdown. You must finish in the top 16 in your division at hte run-what -you-brung Nationals to gain entry. set the date for 6 months out from the Nationals and make it a TV Event to end all shooting events for TV.

Do this and you ahve a real top dog. Had him any gun and he beats anyone. He may actually be able to win an not ever finsih first on any stage, but he'll darn sure have to be good across the board to win.

Jim Norman