Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Negative Input = Negative Output

Bigbadaboom

I've had an epiphany that may help me (and hopefully others) gain insite into how to get mentally motivated.

I shot last weekend with a group of people whom I usually don't shoot with and I had a decent/good match. This weekend my group was back together and we hung out and squaded together and I shot like I had never held a gun before. I sat and thought this through on the 1-1/2 hour ride home and I realized that the group I shot with last weekend has a pretty positive attitude in respect to the sport, and the other group (The one from today) states a lot of negative issues while we're shooting i.e. "I never get time to practice!", "I haven't picked my gun up in a month", "Those far away targets suck", etc. etc.. The group from last weekend talked about practice techniques and what can be done here and there to improve and what was done here and there that improved as of late, etc.

I'm changing my receptive input and I am not going to allow any negative programming in. I've decided that any negative statements, conversations or attitudes will be shunned by me.

I've realized that negative input = negative output and positive input = positive output and I want the latter.

I've realized that negative input = negative output and positive input = positive output and I want the latter.

Cool, well said.

This point is also made in Saul's new book "Thinking Practical Shooting", (he says a lot more about this much better than I can).

Cool, well said.

This point is also made in Saul's new book "Thinking Practical Shooting", (he says a lot more about this much better than I can).

That section of Saul's book is basically a synopsis of Lanny Bassham's Mental Management system. It's all good and it does work.

The basic tenet is... your performance and attitude will change to match that of those you surround yourself with. It's also true that you will become what you act like - if you want to be a positive, high performer, act like you think such a person would act.

Saul's book, Lanny's book, and others, all explain these concepts very well. It's good stuff, and it works...

Cool that you realized this on your own :)

Edited by XRe

Lanny Bashham's book - With Winning in Mind - has a wealth of useful information on this topic. (Available in the "Books" store menu below.) ;) And, at $12.95, it's gotta be one of the best deals - money spent/helpful info received - in the universe.

be

Good thread...

Positive thoughts and actions will bring positive performance and an attitude to overcome..

even the mental notes " don't shoot the no shoot, watch the hardcover" etc, breeds negative action..in that you will look at the no shoot and shoot the dang thing.. :angry:

It is true indicator of a competitor..even facing a tough match or tough day..that will continue with positive output ...

The group from last weekend talked about practice techniques and what can be done here and there to improve and what was done here and there that improved as of late, etc.
Being in the right squad with the right people is so important not just for improvement, but to the whole quality of the experience. It's hard to have enough energy to focus on the stage and shooting when you are using all your might to keep from strangling the range lawyers and refuse-to-helpers in a squad. Overly negative people suck ... they push themselves into the downward spiral and seem to take other people with them.
positive input = positive output and I want the latter.
Good for you!

... I want this too :)

even the mental notes " don't shoot the no shoot, watch the hardcover" etc, breeds negative action..in that you will look at the no shoot and shoot the dang thing.. :angry:

I found the same thing when playing hockey. If on a breakaway, I look at the goalie coming out to meet the shot, I will hit him with it every time. If I force myself to look a the net behind him, more often than not, it scores.

I avoid asking many people "how is it going?" during matches because they usually give you detail about their crappy day.

+1

I feel bad when I ask someone how they are doing and they say all the bad things. Of course I have to force myself NOT to say how many mikes or mistakes I have made because people will always ask me.

But it can be a fine line. For example, we had a stage last weekend where you had to cary 4 poker chips with you from the start and drop them in a bucket. When I left the first array and started my reload I almost shoved the poker chips into the mag well. (It is pretty funny on the video.) The fine line with saying how you did is that funny things like that might not get out. I joked after the stage "It would have been funny if my gun had started to shoot poker chips, then you would have said 'man that Baer will feed anything!!!'" I think this kind of range talk is part of the fun.

For me I don't forget about the bad things but I focus on the good ones.

Oh well I am rambling again,

Ira

I avoid asking many people "how is it going?" during matches because they usually give you detail about their crappy day.

I still ask this of shooters between stages and when they ask me back I only focus on the positive. I have found when you talk about how good your day is going, even the most miserable shooter on the range can find something good to say about their shooting. It's contagious. :D

Guys, this is HUGE for your mental game.

I'm a very honest person, but if you ask me how I'm shooting at a match, I will lie my A$$ off to stay positive if I have to.

Normally, I will accentuate the positive and tell you "I'm shooting a lot of A's" or "I'm having a great match."

If neither are true, I'll just smile and tell you what you want to hear. :)

Do not replay your (or your buddies) bad stages, especially during lunch. Find something good about the match and feast on it.

And for the love of Pete, buy Bassham's "With winning in mind" from me or Benos. Do that today!!! :)

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

• 2 months later...

I had forgotten how much of this game is mental. How easy it is to let other people's words, tone of voice, body language, etc. get into my thoughts. Unfortunately, much of the time the negative stuff is the stuff that gets through so easily.

Some people I've met just seem to have a Mental 'Positivity' Shield around them.

Case in Point: Two of the most positive shooters I ever had the opportunity to be around were Travis Tomasie and his dad (sorry, I forgot his first name). Was a long time ago, but they always seemed to bring a smile to the range; were cool under pressure & always friendly with others. Gave you the impression that they were just happy to be there.

To compete at their level and still maintain that positive attitude at all times... For me that was a lesson in how to live life, not just shoot IPSC.