Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up A Dillon Rl-450 (550) On A Small Table

revchuck

Folks - Thanks to Hurricane Rita, I no longer have a loading area. I need to come up with a compact loading bench onto which I can bolt my RL-450 (pre-550). Any recommendations on ready-made tables that might work? Failing that, how about a bench made with 4x4s and two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood? If I make my own, what should the minimum dimensions be in order to have enough room? (I was thinking about 2' x 4').

Thanks!

I heard of guys using a black and decker workmate. after their done loading, they fold it up and put it in the closet.

Yup, I use my Work Mate to mount a single stage press :ph34r: to pull bullets so it'll work for reloading but you might have to weigh it down or at least use some case sizing lube.

barry B)

Before I got my bench set up, I put a 2 layer 3/4 in plywood top on a work-mate and had both an RL-1050 and A XL-650 mounted back to back. I put a shelf on the step at the bottom and kept bullets and brass on it to add stability. Worked for over 2 years.

Huston in Austin

Edited by Huston in Austin

About the same as Huston in Austin.

A couple of tall sawhorses, a piece of 3/4 inch plywood - good quality plywood, I think it was baltic Birch. On that I hav mounted two 550's, back to back. Both 550's are on those hard mount things that Dillon sells to raise it up a little. I then clamp the plywood to the sawhorses with a couple of C-clamps of any type.

If you have nothing else put the press on a piece of plywood and clamp it on a kitchen counter. You can get by with a lots less of the big stuff than you think.

Use a hard mount on a piece of plywood and clamp it to about anything.

Best wishes

I set up a few for friends with a prefab cabinet that has top drawers and bottom doors . a kitchen cabinet in the 30" to 36" work grate with inside storage. it can be had at Lows or Home Depot for about $90 + a pice of top plywood or laminate . The drawers work good and if you atach it to the cabinet to wall, even better. The cabinet that is put togeather with an oak fount is the best to use. dont get the one that is in a box and has to be asimbled = it is trash.

Edited by AlamoShooter