Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mag choices

bigdawgbeav

I'm going to be picking up some new mags and since I only shoot Steel Challenge I was considering just picking up some pinned 10-rounders. I know those seems weird, but it would reduce risk when traveling through or shooting in the restricted states that surround my home state of Pennsylvania.

Or should I just get regular mags and not sweat it?

10 round Glock mags are not pinned. They really don't hold 10. 9 is what you can load. With effort you can load 10. But it's hard.

Now in steel challenge 9 rounds is enough. With one in the chamber you will have 10 on every run. The 10 round mags I have. I had to clip a coil off the spring to get 10 in and the gun run on the first shot or two.

The first thing I would do is check out the ETS 10 round mags.  I've never used the 10s, but their other mags hold what they claim and they are reloadbale.  For example, I have three ETS 40 round mags I use for falling steel matches.  Loaded to 40 they are easily reloadable.  In fact, I can get 41 in each of them.  They also engage much more securely than Glock mags.  They also sit a tad higher in my Leadstar and feed better than the Glocks.

I would not use the Glock 10 round mags.  Talk to Kurt about them before you decide.  He uses them for NJ and has complained about them.  When I got rid of the Glock mags I wanted to buy ETS 10 rounders.  They were more expensive than the 17s and they were backordered.  So I went with six 17 rounders and only load to ten.

I forgot what you shoot.  If it is a straight blowback the mags are going to get very dirty, very quickly.  A pinned mag can become a cleaning nightmare depending on how the pinning is done.  My ETS mags are clear.  After three matches at Pricetown I can no longer see the top 3 or 4 rounds in the mag.  It's dirty farther down, but not as bad.

14 minutes ago, zzt said:

The first thing I would do is check out the ETS 10 round mags.  I've never used the 10s, but their other mags hold what they claim and they are reloadbale.  For example, I have three ETS 40 round mags I use for falling steel matches.  Loaded to 40 they are easily reloadable.  In fact, I can get 41 in each of them.  They also engage much more securely than Glock mags.  They also sit a tad higher in my Leadstar and feed better than the Glocks.

I would not use the Glock 10 round mags.  Talk to Kurt about them before you decide.  He uses them for NJ and has complained about them.  When I got rid of the Glock mags I wanted to buy ETS 10 rounders.  They were more expensive than the 17s and they were backordered.  So I went with six 17 rounders and only load to ten.

I forgot what you shoot.  If it is a straight blowback the mags are going to get very dirty, very quickly.  A pinned mag can become a cleaning nightmare depending on how the pinning is done.  My ETS mags are clear.  After three matches at Pricetown I can no longer see the top 3 or 4 rounds in the mag.  It's dirty farther down, but not as bad.

I'm looking to ditch my ETS 40-rounders and just going with the 17s and load to 10 for my PC Carbine. I guess I really shouldn't worry too much about NJ/NY/MD matches... Just don't get pulled over and give them a reason to search the car.  

After shooting my PC Carbine this weekend I realized just how heavy it is with a fully loaded mag. Going to change that up this winter and go with the "change mags every string" method.

1 hour ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Just don't get pulled over and give them a reason to search the car. 

You could always ship your mags ahead.

1 hour ago, bigdawgbeav said:

Going to change that up this winter and go with the "change mags every string" method.

That's what I've been doing since I started.  Always the same weight to move around.

ETS mags (at least their 22 rounders) are complete junk.  Their springs must be made of complete s#!t steel and they must have forgotten to do the tempering.  The springs took extreme sets and lasted less than two months of practice before they became unable to push rounds all the way up to the lips.  Threw them all in the trash as they became useful only for malfunction practice.  Won't every buy anything made by ETS no matter what.

Glock 10 rounds mags are equally worthless.  Could never get through one whole mag without a malfunction, usually towards round #10.

Magpul 10 rounders work with ten rounds in them, but I only normally use them for barney mags or practice so I can't vouch for long term reliability.  Same for Magpul 17 rounders.

Pro-Mag makes a clone of the OEM mag but I don't have any experience with them.  They're cheap enough that they're worth a try.  If they suck, I'm out $15 for each.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

I have two 40 and two 30 rd ets mags and they work fine for me. I've had the 40's for a couple of years or so and the 30's for about a year. I usually shoot at least three matches of some kind every month.

10 hours ago, egd5 said:

I have two 40 and two 30 rd ets mags and they work fine for me. I've had the 40's for a couple of years or so and the 30's for about a year. I usually shoot at least three matches of some kind every month.

The same here, the big sticks work, but haven't played with their lower offerings.  

Thanks for all the info guys, I appreciate it.  

I've got 4 ETS 40's and they run fine with a caveat: no polymer coated bullets.  They run great with JHP's, FMJ's/CMJ's & copper washed.

There's multiple posts about the coated bullets not working, but I had to prove it to myself.

I only use them for practice in a JP GMR-15.

Edited by cferree