Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ballistic Advantage 13.9 vs Triarc 13.9

apetrulis01

Looking at these two companies for my next rifle build. Going to be putting a 1-6 on top, so looking for accuracy. Also will be having a dead air flash hider for my Sandman S. Mostly be shooting 62 and 77 grain stuff. 

So, if you have handled and shot both. Did one handle better and which one in your opinion has a better accuracy potential?

Thanks

I've got a BA barrel in an 8" 300BLK that works just fine.  While Triarc is local to me and I want them to be awesome, that's not what I'm hearing from Departments who are using their rifles, along with a couple pistols I have personal knowledge of.   There is more to Accuracy and reliability than sexy pics of operators on the Gram.  

No hands on experience with either of the barrels listed, but all of the BA barrels I've owned have been just okay, and generally overgassed. Weird to hear about Triarc having issues, they seem to have a good reputation.

I also have a 14.5" Core, it's pretty great and worth how long I waited.

32 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

No hands on experience with either of the barrels listed, but all of the BA barrels I've owned have been just okay, and generally overgassed. Weird to hear about Triarc having issues, they seem to have a good reputation.

I also have a 14.5" Core, it's pretty great and worth how long I waited.

I think you may be confusing reputation with popularity.  They look great on IG, they may be a bit better than Mil-Spec, but they certainly don't earn top tier status if you shoot them.  

9 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I think you may be confusing reputation with popularity.  They look great on IG, they may be a bit better than Mil-Spec, but they certainly don't earn top tier status if you shoot them.  

You could be right. I don't have IG but now that I think about it, most of the good stuff I've heard about them has been on YT from the reviewers that I don't really trust..

I just started running a Triarc 14.5” barrel and the accuracy has been stellar with the short time I have ran it. About 800 rounds and hitting 6” plates at 200yds without much effort. It’s not in a Triarc gun. I put the Triarc barrel in Wilson Combat receiver set. It’s currently my favorite AR. 

My buddy runs a Ballistic advantage 13.9” and smokes most of us with it. He and others I have talked to, love that barrel, especially for the price point.  Mind you, our matches do not require us to go past 200yds for the most part.

I will I’ll say I have not had the time to measure groups at 100 yds with the Triarc but will be here soon. Also I have zero experience shooting the bullet weights you are interested in. I have been only running 55gr Bullets through mine. 

Something to know about Triarc barrels is they are ported for suppressed and non suppressed operation. I do not feel my current 14.5” is over gassed and I run a normal gas block. I run a Surefire Warcomp and the gun runs as flat as I need it to be. 

As far as Triarc handguns, you could not give me one. They have a lot of work to make that platform right from what I have read from numerous sources. 

Edited by Boomstick303

21 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not on your list @apetrulis01 but I own a Rosco 13.7" that much to my annoyance is both one of the cheapest and most accurate barrels I have. Like .6-.7 five shot groups and very consistent hits on a 16" plate at 750 yards with a 6x scope.

So the Rosco is good. In your opinion, better then the ballistic Advantage?

I have not seen a BA barrel shoot to what the price dictates. I was given one years ago and was not impressed. Maybe that was why it was given to me. I have heard good reports on the Roscoe's.  Wilson barrels do well, as well as White Oak Armament. Probably a little more money, but you spend once.

1 hour ago, apetrulis01 said:

So the Rosco is good. In your opinion, better then the ballistic Advantage?

I own two BA's, and they shoot okay. I own the one Rosco and it's amazing. But that sample size is too small for me to definitively say Rosco is better. I could've just gotten really lucky.

9 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I own two BA's, and they shoot okay. I own the one Rosco and it's amazing. But that sample size is too small for me to definitively say Rosco is better. I could've just gotten really lucky.

Purebred I assume?

On 10/22/2021 at 7:12 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Not on your list @apetrulis01 but I own a Rosco 13.7" that much to my annoyance is both one of the cheapest and most accurate barrels I have. Like .6-.7 five shot groups and very consistent hits on a 16" plate at 750 yards with a 6x scope.

Good to hear yours is working out because I just replace a BCM 14.5 with the Rocso 13.7” purebred.  I’ve only had it out once to run through a few loads but one of the loads was about .75” group. I’m looking forward to getting more data. I can say that it was more accurate on it’s first range day than my 14.5 BA Fluted Premium was on it’s first testing similar loads.

It’s my 2nd Rosco.  I heard about them from a firearms manufacturer and he spoke very highly of Rosco barrels. The first one was from their kennel bargain bin and at $120 it shoots as good as some $300 barrels I’ve used.

15 hours ago, emjbe said:

Good to hear yours is working out because I just replace a BCM 14.5 with the Rocso 13.7” purebred.  I’ve only had it out once to run through a few loads but one of the loads was about .75” group. I’m looking forward to getting more data. I can say that it was more accurate on it’s first range day than my 14.5 BA Fluted Premium was on it’s first testing similar loads.

It’s my 2nd Rosco.  I heard about them from a firearms manufacturer and he spoke very highly of Rosco barrels. The first one was from their kennel bargain bin and at $120 it shoots as good as some $300 barrels I’ve used.

I'm curious to see if yours turns out to be a hammer like mine.

On 10/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I'm curious to see if yours turns out to be a hammer like mine.

I realize this is off topic of the original question.

Got some data on my 13.7 Roscoe bbl today … I’m very happy with it.  I’ll let @TonytheTiger decide if this meets his definition of “hammer”.

Here’s the first 5 shot group after getting on paper at 50 yards - barrel hadn’t heated up yet - maybe 3 or 4 shots to get the scope dialed close.

E685FFFD-19B0-46AD-87F0-5982EBD6834C.jpeg.3ee103a1067ac09bc3aacff2c3099db8.jpeg

After the barrel heated up  (still at 50 yards - 5 shots)

93DFA1FB-11A0-4E00-97F1-3F7682F947DF.jpeg.d178fdc90ad1cde85788da1c27d4d706.jpeg

Then confirming zero at 200 yards - this was the worst group

10638345-C63D-4BC7-9CCA-67A40A057A06.jpeg.49514718603ff1df6d977e133435b4eb.jpeg

And the best group at 200 yards … note, I stopped at 4 shots because my loads are range pick-up brass. I’m sure if i had kept shooting it would have grown. 

77F16633-B9E6-47E0-83BE-C9397103E5F2.jpeg.33e95b10f8f0ef56a02c587342e804c5.jpeg

The real 10 shot groups were .75-1.5 MOA at 200 yards.  But I’m very happy with anything that shoots minute-of-3gun and this barrel is definitely better than that. I may have to try some loads that use new brass and see what it will do with better ammo.

Load is RMR 69g BTHP, 23.6g TAC

5 hours ago, emjbe said:

I realize this is off topic of the original question.

Got some data on my 13.7 Roscoe bbl today … I’m very happy with it.  I’ll let @TonytheTiger decide if this meets his definition of “hammer”.

Here’s the first 5 shot group after getting on paper at 50 yards - barrel hadn’t heated up yet - maybe 3 or 4 shots to get the scope dialed close.

E685FFFD-19B0-46AD-87F0-5982EBD6834C.jpeg.3ee103a1067ac09bc3aacff2c3099db8.jpeg

After the barrel heated up  (still at 50 yards - 5 shots)

93DFA1FB-11A0-4E00-97F1-3F7682F947DF.jpeg.d178fdc90ad1cde85788da1c27d4d706.jpeg

Then confirming zero at 200 yards - this was the worst group

10638345-C63D-4BC7-9CCA-67A40A057A06.jpeg.49514718603ff1df6d977e133435b4eb.jpeg

And the best group at 200 yards … note, I stopped at 4 shots because my loads are range pick-up brass. I’m sure if i had kept shooting it would have grown. 

77F16633-B9E6-47E0-83BE-C9397103E5F2.jpeg.33e95b10f8f0ef56a02c587342e804c5.jpeg

The real 10 shot groups were .75-1.5 MOA at 200 yards.  But I’m very happy with anything that shoots minute-of-3gun and this barrel is definitely better than that. I may have to try some loads that use new brass and see what it will do with better ammo.

Load is RMR 69g BTHP, 23.6g TAC

Definitely not off topic. Thank you very much for the info. It was the Purebred 13.7 I assume?

I ordered my 1st BA barrel in early October to rebuild my 3gun. The barrel I received was trash. Bore scope showed what looked like heavy pitting and a crooked throat. There was no rust inside. I contacted them on the 10/8 and they asked for pictures which I sent that day. It took till the 12th to get an RMA. I sent FedEx 2day. I checked a week later, nothing. They told me they received on the 21st. Today 11/2 they still haven't looked at it. I was stoked at 1st for the all the help they provided before the sale answering every question and very fast shipping. I got it in less than 48 hours. Now I need help and they are quiet. I've waited 3 weeks to post anything negative. I have since ordered another barrel from another company. The inspection would only take 2 minutes including the time to set up the bore scope. The defect is that obvious. I'm sure everyone puts out a lemon every now and then but the service I got before and after has me disappointed.

On 11/2/2021 at 6:44 AM, Dchi said:

I ordered my 1st BA barrel in early October to rebuild my 3gun. The barrel I received was trash. Bore scope showed what looked like heavy pitting and a crooked throat. There was no rust inside. I contacted them on the 10/8 and they asked for pictures which I sent that day. It took till the 12th to get an RMA. I sent FedEx 2day. I checked a week later, nothing. They told me they received on the 21st. Today 11/2 they still haven't looked at it. I was stoked at 1st for the all the help they provided before the sale answering every question and very fast shipping. I got it in less than 48 hours. Now I need help and they are quiet. I've waited 3 weeks to post anything negative. I have since ordered another barrel from another company. The inspection would only take 2 minutes including the time to set up the bore scope. The defect is that obvious. I'm sure everyone puts out a lemon every now and then but the service I got before and after has me disappointed.

That’s too bad - I’ve had great experience with BA both in quality of the products and follow up after.