Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Surgeon Rifles

kurtm

Kind of a new area for me to post in, but not because I don't have a bit of experience with long range rifle work. I have built a few precision .308s and some nice M-14s back when it was slow in Geology. I know all the ear marks of a "good" rifle and action. Well today I spent a bit of time down at Surgeon Rifles Inc. getting an AR barrel turned down a bit to save weight, and the stuff Preston ( the owner ) showed Me was incredible!! Thier action is made from a single billit and heat treated to hell and gone!! The picatiny rail is machined right into the reciever, no need to get seperate basses, it,s already there!! The action is thick and STIFF and ABSOLUTELY SQUARE. He showed Me several rifles that they had put together, and the fit and finish were better than ANY of the big builders I have seen. I have been toying with the idea of having a 300 short mag built, but hadnt decided who would do it untill today. These are the best built rifles I have ever seen, including A.I. and I believe Jimmie Clark and Tom Cross use thier actions for thier rifles as well. For the absolute best, contact www.surgeonrifles.com you won't be sorry that you did. (405) 567-0183 Kurtm

For me, another selling point for the Surgeon action, besides the fact that it has a super cool name, is the bolt. It is a single piece machined down, the bolt handle isn't brazed on. Bolt handles coming off the Rem 700 is a well known failure, especially when you have to apply some force to extract a sticky load. This is one of the features I like on my rifle based on a Nesika Bay action, one piece bolt. The Surgeon action is on my list of future purchases as soon as I wear out some of my current rifles.

Tewlman,

I believe the answer to your question is yes. However all of the rifles I have seen (only a couple in person several in pics) built on the surgeon action have been full custom jobs bedded up and mounted in McMillan Stocks. The one I was able to handle last year at SHOT was absolutely incredible. I don't know if you have ever been around a Rolls Royce, but working that action was like opening and closing the door on a Rolls. You can just feel the absolute precision involved in all the parts as they move.

Take care, Craig

Tewl,

I in know way meant to imply that there are not a few actions out there in AI chassis, just that most I had seen had been in the Mc's. Like I said I believe it is a Rem 700 pattern but the final answer could be easily had by emailing George at Gardner Precision. (Not to mention you could put your order in at the same time :))

I understand about the dinero squeeze. I had big plans for my rifle until I went and bought a US Optics SN-3 with the Horus 25 reticle. I love it but man I never dreamed of buying that much glass in one scope.

Take care, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Tewlman,

I don't know what your experience with long range precision guns but mine was next to nil before a 3 day class last year. I can honestly say that the H25 reticle significantly shortened my learning curve and has helped me improve faster than I think I would have with a traditional mil type reticle. In the USO the H25 is just stellar.

Keep us posted, Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt,

You are right they are some GREAT actions. Terry Cross had a lot of input into the making of the action. The bolt handle is his design.

As for the action, it is a REM 700 type action. It will fit in any type of stock made for a REM 700. I have seen these actions and have talk to Tery Cross about them. They are a GREAT action.

• 2 years later...
Surgeon Actions ARE awesome. I think this may be my next purchase. However, people have expressed that the lack of a Sako style extractor is the weak point of this action. Can anyone elaborate/comment on this?

I've never had a problem with any of my 700 actions and extraction.

If the people who built the surgeon action, thought it was necessary to have a sako style extractor, I think they would have built it with one.

The Surgeon action is something I've been waiting for ever since I started long range stuff. I wanted somebody to include the ring base in their action designed for more than just benchrest shooting.

I stopped at Their booth at the Shot Show this year and asked a few questions about the rifles they had out. I think the man I talked was a bit overwhelmed by the enormity of the show and didn't know what I was asking. I was wondering if the samples they had out were the tactical or match. I think there is a tolerance difference and probably more between the two. I didn't have much time to spend at their booth as I wasn't alone but they looked really cool. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I had the $$.

Nick